Random Music Talk XLIII: 11 O'Clock Click Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no opinion either way on Graduation these days. At its best, it can't touch the heights of his early work, and Barry Bonds/Drunk And Hot Girls is the worst duo on any of his albums. The lyrics in general are also his most materialistic and inconsequential. But then the beats are really strong and it's also his tightest album thanks to the short runtime.

Yeah those two songs were awful. I'd been on a Mos Def kick all day (by that I listened to Sweepstakes about 15 times) so Drunk and Hot Girls really brought me down. Beats were good, but I just felt like every song on the album could be released as a single.

Leviathan is still my fav. I liked Crack the Skye much more than Blood Mountain as well. New album comes out soon!

Did you ever watch that video they did for Adult Swim I posted a few times? Pretty funny.

I'll put Leviathan on my list, thanks. I knew about the new one. Pitchfork has a new song up by them, but I only remember to listen to it at school, where I can't access it, or now, early in the morning when my better half is still asleep.

And no, I don't think I ever watched the vid.

Shades of Blue :love:

I passed this one up at a store once, then forgot about it. Dammit. I'll ad it to my long list for the next time I hit Fingerprints with a stack of vinyl for trading in.

Negative.
I like the Beat Konducta albums, especially Vol 3-4: Beeat Konducta in India.

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble rule on that track. Really hoping I get to see them at Harvest Festival. Will listen to those Wayne tracks tomorrow. I was just gobsmacked at his critical standing, since I rate him on a level only just ahead of Pitbull.

I have no opinion either way on Graduation these days. At its best, it can't touch the heights of his early work, and Barry Bonds/Drunk And Hot Girls is the worst duo on any of his albums. The lyrics in general are also his most materialistic and inconsequential. But then the beats are really strong and it's also his tightest album thanks to the short runtime.

Well-observed. Though I do think its peaks deserve mention with his best. Champion is pretty fucking standout (and I'm obviously partial to the Steely Dan sample), and I find Big Brother to be actually moving in terms of how raw the autobiography and sentiment is displayed. Can't Tell Me Nothing is badass.

I like this album a lot more than when it came out, but it's a significant drop for me after the tour-de-force that is Late Registration.

It's way better than 808s & Heartbreak, though.

I don't like Hellhole Ratrace much either. I DO like Lust for Life a great deal though.

Joyful, why have you not weighed in on the new Beirut album yet?

I don't like Hellhole Ratrace much either. I DO like Lust for Life a great deal though.

Joyful, why have you not weighed in on the new Beirut album yet?

Because I haven't heard it yet, because I stupidly assumed that since I live in Zach's hometown, and that since they're playing two shows here in a few weeks (one of them a benefit), that that meant I would be able to purchase the CD in a store in this very town, which turned out to be not true, and I just haven't gotten around to ordering it. :angry:

I'll do that right now. RIGHT NOW.

Because I haven't heard it yet, because I stupidly assumed that since I live in Zach's hometown, and that since they're playing two shows here in a few weeks (one of them a benefit), that that meant I would be able to purchase the CD in a store in this very town, which turned out to be not true, and I just haven't gotten around to ordering it. :angry:

I'll do that right now. RIGHT NOW.

Stupid stores! I wanted to cry yesterday when I got an email from the only music store in Utah I still actually "like" about how they're likely going out of business at the end of the year, as they can't find someone to buy the store from them. If if had more money, I'd seriously buy the damn thing and run it.

Anyways, I really like the new Beirut album. It's a lot of fun.

Stupid stores! I wanted to cry yesterday when I got an email from the only music store in Utah I still actually "like" about how they're likely going out of business at the end of the year, as they can't find someone to buy the store from them. If if had more money, I'd seriously buy the damn thing and run it.

Anyways, I really like the new Beirut album. It's a lot of fun.

We're down to Best Buy and Hastings in this town. Hastings actually has a decent selection. Best Buy seems to be fading out CDs fast. I forgot to check Starbucks. Isn't it pathetic that Starbucks would be the place I find a new release? Abq still has one good store but it's so out of the way.

So I'll order it along with the new Girls.

I listened to LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening on the way to work. Dang, it's good. I even liked Pow Pow today (although it needed about 3 minutes shaved off).

Also, today is my last day of work until October 4th. Can I get a FUCK YEAH?

Thank you.

How does that work, Cori?

Speaking of long times off of work, I hit my 7 year mark at the company I work for today. At 7 years, they give you 6 weeks paid "sabbatical", that you have to use all at once. I'm planning on taking some of October, and all of November off. We'll see how that goes.

It works when you plan a trip to Ireland for two weeks and you leave on Friday. :)

Wow, you get a paid sabbatical? Nice!

Who here has read Bill Flanagan's book? Finally finished it months, possibly even years after starting it. It wasn't as awesome as I hoped. Far too many parts where he just quotes someone verbatim speaking about extremely boring topics, mostly the business side of things. Yes, I wanted more sex, drugs n rock & roll... that's why Tokyo onwards was my favourite part. My favourite part of the whole book was Bill saying Bono often inhabits his characters, but "perhaps none more so right now than the character in Trying to Throw... he can't give up on the night until the night has more than given up on him". And the ending, Bob talking about how he picked up bees as a kid, was a great way to finish.

corianderstem said:
I listened to LCD Soundsystem's This Is Happening on the way to work. Dang, it's good. I even liked Pow Pow today (although it needed about 3 minutes shaved off).

:)

That's awesome, you two.

I get six weeks off every year but not all at once.

Who here has read Bill Flanagan's book? Finally finished it months, possibly even years after starting it. It wasn't as awesome as I hoped. Far too many parts where he just quotes someone verbatim speaking about extremely boring topics, mostly the business side of things. Yes, I wanted more sex, drugs n rock & roll... that's why Tokyo onwards was my favourite part. My favourite part of the whole book was Bill saying Bono often inhabits his characters, but "perhaps none more so right now than the character in Trying to Throw... he can't give up on the night until the night has more than given up on him". And the ending, Bob talking about how he picked up bees as a kid, was a great way to finish.

:)

I read it forever ago so I hardly remember it other than I quite enjoyed it.

We're down to Best Buy and Hastings in this town. Hastings actually has a decent selection. Best Buy seems to be fading out CDs fast. I forgot to check Starbucks. Isn't it pathetic that Starbucks would be the place I find a new release? Abq still has one good store but it's so out of the way.

Since Borders closed, Target is literally the only place in my town to buy CDs. Well, other than Starbucks. Luckily I drive right past a pretty good independent store in Tacoma on my way to work, though they often have more new releases on vinyl than on CD. I asked the owner and he said no one buys the CDs anymore, so he often doesn't even bother ordering them. :huh:

Anyway, I think my favorite release this week is Grouplove. I bought Girls because 7digital had it for $5, but I haven't listened yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ddd70PMxTE

Since Borders closed, Target is literally the only place in my town to buy CDs. Well, other than Starbucks. Luckily I drive right past a pretty good independent store in Tacoma on my way to work, though they often have more new releases on vinyl than on CD. I asked the owner and he said no one buys the CDs anymore, so he often doesn't even bother ordering them. :huh:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Target and Walmart. But I don't frequent either place so it would never occur to me to check there for CDs.

I was organizing my CDs a couple of weeks ago, trying to free up more shelf space for the ones just piled up on my desk, and wondered how long I would continue buying them. I sold my rather large record collection years ago because I literally couldn't accommodate them in NYC apartments anymore. I don't really regret that, except for my U2 vinyl (what was I thinking?), all of which had been purchased the minute they were released and were in excellent condition. But I do wonder when/if I'll get to the same place with CDs and surrender to digital-only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom