Random Music Talk XLIII: 11 O'Clock Click Talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off to Architecture in Helsinki tonight. Hoping the set is light on material from their letdown of a new album... though it won't be.

Very good show... but what has happened to one of my former favourite bands? They sounded so polished, and if there was ever a band I didn't want to develop polish, it was them. Gone is the energetic, crazy, quirky, fun vibe they did so well, replaced with a lot of synths and some average beats. Shouter would have been mortified.

It'5 and Do the Whirlwind were the only tracks to make it from In Case We Die, Heart it Races, Hold Music, Like it or Not, Debbie and Lazy (Lazy) represented Places Like This. The first three were pretty great but I was super bummed they played Debbie and Lazy when they could have played Nothing's Wrong and The Same Old Innocence. Of the new songs, Escapee was by far the best, and Contact High was pretty good. But even my favourites, Do the Whirlwind and Heart it Races, good as they were, lacked what once made them so good.

That's your friggin endorsement?

It was either that or Blue Da Ba Dee!

Seriously though it's a great album

Yeah, I've got nothing against synths or average beats. I just think that the songs stink, these days. Don't really like the first album, either.

omggeorgemichaelp1.gif

So to get up-to-date on the whole TIFF/Achtung/etc thing, I should just watch those three 15 minute interviews posted in the From the Sky Down thread?

Yeah, I've got nothing against synths or average beats. I just think that the songs stink, these days. Don't really like the first album, either.

They're getting worse in direct proportion to their popularity, yeah. What do you think of the new LC! song?

I love this moment.

I think if I could distill how I sometimes feel while reading interference down into one animated gif, this would be it

178476d1312467318-animated-gif-thread-abd-87.gif

I've said it before, maybe in the Interpol thread after you made a joke at muldfeld's expense and my comment brought all conversation to a crashing halt, but I love you.

I got three minutes through the TIFF interview and I was bored to tears.

This Geoff Barrow bloke is a real grumpy old ass. Just reading an interview he did with one of our papers and he has managed to completely dismiss James Blake, Florence + The Machine and Coldplay in two paragraphs. Dummy will want to be a damn good listen!

Dummy is bloody awesome - one of my top five of the 90s. Better even than Achtung, I dare say in my slightly drunken state.

That was the first post in three months? It's like some punk kid leaving a flaming bag of dog shit on the porch of some lonely old woman who hasn't had human contact in decades. Cruel, yet strangely welcome.

I feel really stupid doing this. I'm sorry. But I just need to.

My girlfriend of 5+ years left me, yesterday. She moved to the east coast, last week, to start a graduate program. We drove out by car, and I helped her get settled in, etc.. I flew back home on Monday. It made more financial sense for her to head out solo, at this point; so I've been looking for work out there, and hoping to move out in 8-12 months. But she called, yesterday, on the way to a function, and told me that it was over. And I just can't believe it. I just can't believe it. And I don't know how I'm ever going to make it through this, after all of this time and given the circumstances. And everybody says this, I think, but I really didn't see it coming. Honestly, nothing was wrong. From the superficial to the deep, we were (I thought) happy. At any rate, I was; and nothing was wrong for me.

Of course, there are all kinds of further details that could be shared about everything. I'm sorry, but I don't really want to put everything out in a public forum, like that. I just needed to get it off of my chest in writing, I suppose. Even just the most basic version possible. I won't really get into it any more. If you care to make them, ha, well-wishes are obviously totally welcome and very appreciated. But you don't need to. It's okay. I just...I don't know. I just had to say it, right now. I'm so sad and so angry and so scared and it just hurts too much to even feel.

I'm sorry if I sound like an asshole, or something. I'm just not in a good way, that's all.

Ashley and I did not find a long distance relationship to be a very easy scenario, and I will say that it's certainly not for everyone. Perhaps she's just incredibly frightened by that prospect and doesn't wish to go through it at the moment. Just go about your business as best as you can and perhaps she'll change her mind. If that's simply not possible for her, then that seriously blows and I'm very sorry that things shook out that way for you. This doesn't jibe with you being together 5 years...I would think she would be a little more keen on synchronizing her life with someone she had spent that much time with, that seems weird to me, but everyone has different priorities I guess.

I have no idea if you want to discuss this further, let alone with me of all people, but if you need to vent or whatever, my PM box is always open. Hang in there, man.

i second what travis said, long distance relationships are hell. seriously, pure hell. it could be that she felt it would be better for you both to be alone rather than missing the hell out of each other, and as travis also said she could just be scared.

i really hope things work out for you guys though and she realises doing things long distance for now may suck but will be worth it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom