Random Music Talk XLII: Championship Vinyl Aux Holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
monkey-power-butt-rainbow.gif

I'm listening to Build a Rocket, Boys! again and I have liked it less and less with each listen, which is something I can't ever remember happening with an album by a band I like. Aside from The Birds and Open Arms, the whole thing is just massively underwhelming.

I hate Build A Rocket Boys doubly so because it convinced Friggin Cobbler that Elbow is a boring band. Fuck no.

i like stumbling upon new stuff. 20 minutes before i'm done with work and get to listen to the new War On Drugs again.

Yeah, it's pretty sad that it makes Cast of Thousands look / sound phenomenal in comparison.

I honestly haven't listened to enough Elbow to give them their due as far as how good each album is, but I can tell you that when they are on, they are on. Some really fantastic songs in the past decade.

It's still slightly funny to me that it seemed like hardly anyone cared about them until A Day Like This. It's a bit on the cheesy side, sorta would have been like Stereophonics making some sort of breakthrough with Have A Nice Day.

I just purchased a package of gum with a warning so terrifying and indecipherable I'm already regretting my purchase.

PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE

EDIT: A google search reveals that I'm hardly the first person to be unaware of the rare genetic disorder that prompted this, but phenylketonuric isn't even a word according to Firefox. What the hell does the FDA do all day?

So is Elbow a good band or not?
Aside from the new album, absolutely.

Even including the new album, absolutely. :)
Just saw them at the Lowlands festival and it was a great performance, one of the highlights for me. Gonna see them again in November when they're playing a dedicated (i.e. non-festival) concert.

But yeah, their new album is quite understated. But that doesn't make it underwhelming. I love the reflective vibe of Build A Rocket Boys! It's not easily digestable, but quite rewarding if you take the time for it.
That said, it might not be the best introduction to their music, for that The Seldom Seen Kid is a better starter.

As long as LC! don't break up altogether.

Why is this not possible, listening to it more?

I meant last year.

"that dude in the Bible"...that's like referring to.....man I can't actually come up with a decent reference...the point is! A rather substantial part of the New Testament is about him....that's all.

I may have gone to a religious high school, that's the only reason I knew who he was... but sorry I really could not give a remote fuck about the bible.

Best part of writing collegiate papers: writing a bunch of bullshit off the top of your head without citations and then having to go back and prove it with some bullshit source you found at the last minute. I've got this.

I still say that the greatest skill I learned from college was how to write fluff in a convincing manner.

Word and word. I am the fucking king of pulling shit out of my ass on very late notice and still passing at least somewhat well.

Where have you been? And yeah, basing your opinion on Elbow by just listening to Build A Rocket Boys is like basing your opinion on U2 by just listening to Hutdab :down:

:lol::lol: Hutdab was the album that got me into U2! I win this round :wink:

Ditto that! Most days I think it's The Bones of You, but if I'm feeling rather schmoopy, it might be Mirrorball.

But then I listen to the BBC version of The Loneliness of a Tower Crane Driver, and I'm all HOT DAMN at that big crescendo-y bit.

And then Grounds For Divorce comes on and I rock the fuck out.

And then I realize that hey, maybe One Day Like This IS the best song on the album! :wink:

I listened to Cults on the way home. Dang, that's good stuff.

I feel like a damnable infant trying to use this Macbook. It's amazing how deeply engrained the Windows operating system is in my technological behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom