Random Music Talk XLII: Championship Vinyl Aux Holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
imagine you're going to some big 2-day festival-type thing, and one of the bands that was supposed to play gets replaced by one of your favorite bands--minus the guy who wrote all the songs, was essentially the brains behind the tunes, and pretty much made them one of your favorite bands.

in a new installment in the things iwb cares about but no one else here does (which begs the question, why don't i just go haunt some part of the internet where people do care? i've been wondering this for years):
Untitled-15.png

i don't even know what this is. a lind-less BFB. who, according the "official statement" just isn't touring for personal reasons. that's like...that's like...i can't think of a very good analogy.

We should talk about Kraftwerk more often, but right now my sleep-deprived brain cannot think of anything intelligible to say about them.

iron yuppie said:
We should talk about Kraftwerk more often, but right now my sleep-deprived brain cannot think of anything intelligible to say about them.

Are the German variations of their albums markedly superior to the American ones? I've generally only heard the latter. Pretty sure Autobahn is only available in German.

2. I am desperately, pathetically in love with Float On. which album should i get? That one? Good News etc etc etc?

Yes indeed. I'd suggest getting Good News, and then The Moon and Antarctica. In a vague, broad sense I'd say Good News is/sounds upfront like HTDAAB, while Antarctica is more moody like The Unforgettable Fire. I highly recommend The Moon and Antarctica, particularly shown from the contrast between the last two tracks- both ambient spaceyness and ballistic energy.

Then pick out the following songs from other albums: Night on the Sun, Broke, Dramamine, and Parting of the Sensory.

Listened to both Elbow songs on the front page and thought they were a bit dull.

Kraftwerk are one of my favorites. Everything from Autobahn through Computer World is fantastic, with The Man Machine my personal favorite.

Are the German variations of their albums markedly superior to the American ones? I've generally only heard the latter. Pretty sure Autobahn is only available in German.

I prefer the American versions if available, but there's really no difference other than the language. And yes, Autobahn is only in German.

I was gonna buy a couple of Kraftwerk albums when I was spending vouchers the other week but they didn't have any. So I went with Discovery & Homework instead. I know Screw is a fan. But what's this about German/American versions? Did they release the album with them singing in both languages?

Correct. I can't actually remember what version I listened to now, but I tend to default to the original language, so I would assume I listened in German.

Yes indeed. I'd suggest getting Good News, and then The Moon and Antarctica. In a vague, broad sense I'd say Good News is/sounds upfront like HTDAAB, while Antarctica is more moody like The Unforgettable Fire. I highly recommend The Moon and Antarctica, particularly shown from the contrast between the last two tracks- both ambient spaceyness and ballistic energy.

Then pick out the following songs from other albums: Night on the Sun, Broke, Dramamine, and Parting of the Sensory.

Listened to both Elbow songs on the front page and thought they were a bit dull.

Thanks man will do :up:

Community s2 DVD is out September 6, AND IS ACTUALLY OUT THE FOLLOWING FUCKING DAY in Australia, I thought we'd have to wait like an extra two months or some shit. Just preordered it. Will be well worth the $45.

I've heard a couple of those songs through DI and I don't recall being particularly excited by them, it certainly didn't make me chase down an album. But that's JUST ME.

Stopped by the local vinyl shop today and picked up Black Lips - Arabia Mountain. Nice recommendation, Martha. :up:

I am a little perturbed that I shelled out a premium for the vinyl, only to find out that I don't get the iTunes bonus track, which is "album only." Can't seem to find it on the interwebz, either. :angry:

Stopped by the local vinyl shop today and picked up Black Lips - Arabia Mountain. Nice recommendation, Martha. :up:

Pfft, I was the one who kept telling her to buy it. :wink:

Definitely one of my favs so far this year. Big improvement over the somewhat of a disappointment I felt with the last one. :up: What songs are you liking so far, Danny Boy?

And in other bands-Ashley-loves-who-have-new-albums-out-that-decided-to-leak-in-the-past-day, Portamento has leaked. I have to go to work, like, right now. All the tracks are on Grooveshark. I may attempt to listen to this over the course of my breaks tonight, but ugh, interrupted listens. Can I survive the NINE HOUR wait?!

I truly do not understand what the big deal is about Float On. Solid lyrics, but Brock has written much better, and the song has a decent riff. A shame that it's the only song so many people seem to know by Modest Mouse. That or Dashboard, which is also OK but not their best. They're a great album band; I don't think Good News is anything special for them, but it's very, very enjoyable and consistently good. A decent starting point for Cobbler, definitely, although it's going to piss me off if he dislikes the album and Modest Mouse becomes a running joke like Elbow before hearing Antarctica or Lonesome Crowded West.

They're both good singles though, particularly since they actually got radio time. The world would be a better place if more things like that were on mainstream radio.

I agree though, I will give Cobbler a Columbian necktie if he starts bagging on Modest Mouse because he's only heard their most radio friendly albums.

I have not heard the German variations, aside from Autobahn and Ralf und Florian (the latter has almost no vocals anyway). While the English vocals are awkward and over-enunciated, the general lack of vocal refinement is almost charming in the sense that it is nearly as robotic as the music. The whole effect is good fun.

Kraftwerk are one of my favorites. Everything from Autobahn through Computer World is fantastic, with The Man Machine my personal favorite.

Your last DI list was what led me to explore their catalogue. I owe you one for that.

Pfft, I was the one who kept telling her to buy it. :wink:

Definitely one of my favs so far this year. Big improvement over the somewhat of a disappointment I felt with the last one. :up: What songs are you liking so far, Danny Boy?

So far I like Modern Art, the guitar work in Bicentennial Man, and the Ramones vibe in Raw Meat. Still on my first listen.

Edit: Just got up to New Direction. Strong track.

Good choices. I like the two songs immediately after New Direction quite a bit.

Hey guyz, r u listening 2 music rite now?

Why, yes. Yes I am. Got side B of Widow City spinning round and round. Perhaps I'll go update the Now Playing thread track by track.

They gotta pay someone to put those folds into the cardboard. That shit aint cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom