Random Music Talk XLII: Championship Vinyl Aux Holes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is old, but just found it. And because it's about other artists, I'm putting it here instead of the Tom Waits thread:

Tom Wait's Top 20

He's good at writing in this sort of critical fashion (not surprisingly).

His little write-up there about Rum Sodomy and the Lash made me just look up that album on Spotify, and now I'm going to listen to it. Haven't heard it before.

Whatever you do, do not try to get a degree online. Not that you would do that anyways, but the for-profit "universities" are always looking to prey on those who think that they have no other options. My advice would be to dump the job and go to school in earnest, at a legitimate university. It won't be fun - I say this having spent many years as an under-employed graduate student - but it will raise your long-term employment prospects.
yeah. when i was working i did go to school online, but it was through the brick-and-mortar university i'd been attending anyway, in conjunction with the state's online degree programme. but yeah, i'm sure prospective employers will favour a degree from one of these universities over an online place.

I had a friend in high school nicknamed DB, I don't actually remember his real name now. I never even would've put that together with an insult, myself because his (initials) nickname is just so ingrained in my head.
i knew someone in high school with that nickname too, though they weren't a friend. my friend and i coined it, i think it stood for devil boy. he was a jerk.

Significant news, anybody!

Found out from my supervisor today that Comcast does over 5K in tuition reimbursement per semester as long as you get above a C. AND getting a teaching certificate is "business-related" because I could potentially parlay that into becoming a new hire trainer. Not that I would, but hey. So...maybe I'll hit the federal student aid application again for 2011 and see what they'll give me, combined with the Comcast reimbursement, I might be able to go back to school. Sweet.
yay! i completely forgot that that was what finally kicked me in the ass to go back to school too, where i worked did the same thing. so yeah, dooooo iiiiiit.

That Big Country thread is driving me almost literally insane. They really are one of my favorite bands ever, and I meant to start a thread for them a year or so ago when I really got big into them, but now, instead, all the damn thread is is a Youtube video free for all. The worst part is, I'm afraid people aren't going to want to check out more of their music because of the odd circumstances of the thread starting, and that's really unfortunate, because they are really fantastic.

Not ashamed to say I'll be dreaming of a Big Boi tonight.

tumblr_lpqtsvf8hL1qhuy9mo1_500.gif

That Big Country thread is driving me almost literally insane. They really are one of my favorite bands ever, and I meant to start a thread for them a year or so ago when I really got big into them, but now, instead, all the damn thread is is a Youtube video free for all. The worst part is, I'm afraid people aren't going to want to check out more of their music because of the odd circumstances of the thread starting, and that's really unfortunate, because they are really fantastic.
i feel this way too about the duran duran thread sometimes. at times it gets full of "[band member] is so hot!" stuff which yeah, i'll admit they were hot back in the day and almost all of them have aged well. but i left the whole pleba-esque mega-drooling over famous people behind. plus given how many people wrote them off back in the day (and many still do) as being just a group of hot guys and ignoring any talent they had, it just rubs me the wrong way to act like their only thing going for them now is attractiveness. i still hold out hope someone might eventually check them out, though.

One thing listening to Crooked Rain has done, I now like Range Life. Didn't like it when I first heard it on peef's last di list, didn't like it on the best of, but now, maybe because of the context within the album, I enjoy it.
You saying my DI list was shit?

I don't remember any of my DI lists.

Only a pretentious asshole would prefer Three Imaginary Boys to Boys Don't Cry, and yet I see them around fairly regularly. I realized last night that I had never heard the former all the way through, and holy shit, parts of this are borderline bad. Replacing Foxy Lady and Meathook with Boys Don't Cry, Jumping Someone Else's Train and Killing An Arab can only be considered an objective improvement. Not an opinion.

I feel similarly about the UK issue of Are You Experienced vs. the US issue. The Beatles may have gotten fucked over by American releases, but many did not.

Danny Boy said:
If your local Border's is still hanging on, they are up to 60-80% off now.

I just picked up FOMO for $6.00 and The Drums for $4.40. The CD section is disorganized and picked over, but still some good stuff in there.

Fomo :up:

LemonMelon said:
Only a pretentious asshole would prefer Three Imaginary Boys to Boys Don't Cry, and yet I see them around fairly regularly. I realized last night that I had never heard the former all the way through, and holy shit, parts of this are borderline bad. Replacing Foxy Lady and Meathook with Boys Don't Cry, Jumping Someone Else's Train and Killing An Arab can only be considered an objective improvement. Not an opinion.

I agree with much of this, although Boys Don't Cry, while an excellent song, really does not fit the mood of the rest of that era. Also, as a side note, the label forced Foxy Lady onto the album. They made its inclusion a condition of release, which infuriated Robert. It is a bloody soundcheck, after all.

iron yuppie said:
I agree with much of this, although Boys Don't Cry, while an excellent song, really does not fit the mood of the rest of that era. Also, as a side note, the label forced Foxy Lady onto the album. They made its inclusion a condition of release, which infuriated Robert. It is a bloody soundcheck, after all.

Hahahaha I forgot that were basically forced to destroy the album at gunpoint. I don't know where the commercial appeal of the Cure cover Jimi Hendrix lies. :lol:

The idea of different US and UK versions has always been strange to me.

The idea of different US and UK versions has always been strange to me.

The only time that I understood the logic behind issuing different editions for each side of the Atlantic is with the Rolling Stones's early catalogue. The US editions contained the stand-alone UK singles as an attempt to entice American buyers, who at the time, I guess, bought fewer singles, to purchase the LPs. I wonder if those efforts resulted in any substantial financial gains.

Cobbler hates all races, cultures, social groups and affiliations, and people.

Exactly! How can I be accused of being racist if I hate all people equally? /iwb

In 12 hours, I'm gonna be kickin it with Antwan Andre Patton.

Put your hands in the atmosphere
If you know what I'm talkin' about

Props to Cobbs for stealing the title of Interference's premier bigot from yours truly.

Danny Boy said:
Surely Boy's Don't Cry was deleted when the Three Imaginary Boys remaster was released?

Well, ever song exists on the bonus disc.

But yeah, I never listen to Three Imaginary Boys, and no one ever should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom