Random Music Talk XL: Slappin' Bitches With Vik

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll jump in here.

Dude writes straight-forward, fun, catchy, guitar-driven rock and roll and has a group of talented musicians in his band.

Sure, he's not reinventing the wheel but the guy has written a ton of really good hooks in his career. Is it the vocals you don't like? I can see that. To me, I've always found him an endearing vocalist.

Petty is a great singles artist. That single-disc best of compilation from the mid 90s is a non-stop onslaught of great hooks and concise, muscular rock songs.

Entwistle was awesome enough to challenge the "old dudes can't rock" stereotype by dying of a cocaine and hooker overdose at second reunion tour age.

Of course, he uh, died. I said he was awesome, not intelligent.

His overdose was a long time coming, I am afraid. The man did enough blow in his life to kill a small army.

Petty is a great singles artist. That single-disc best of compilation from the mid 90s is a non-stop onslaught of great hooks and concise, muscular rock songs.

Most def, Iron Linguist. Petty is one of those rare artists in which I listen to the albums and compilations in equal measure. Same for the Byrds, actually.

Petty's keyboard player, Benmont Tench, gets thanked in the Achtung Baby liner notes. I've always wondered about that. Does anybody know anything about that, what the connection is?

Yeah, I think Mr. Tench himself is packaged into one of the first 100. Your golden ticket to U2/Petty knowledge.

So Paul McG is into human trafficking now?

I want the deluxe edition that contains Brian Eno's brain. I'll study its power and use it to write awesome music and get girls.

A google search reveals that he helped U2 write All I Want Is You. In addition, his ex-squeeze Maria McKee provided backing vocals on their Fortunate Son cover. Not sure if that's sufficient for a special thanks, but perhaps Bono was on a full stomach.

I want the deluxe edition that contains Brian Eno's brain. I'll study its power and use it to write awesome music and get girls.

All the genius, none of the male pattern baldness.

A google search reveals that he helped U2 write All I Want Is You. In addition, his ex-squeeze Maria McKee provided backing vocals on their Fortunate Son cover. Not sure if that's sufficient for a special thanks, but perhaps Bono was on a full stomach.

And her band, Lone Justice, opened for them, maybe on the JT tour. At least the indoor part. Right?

And her band, Lone Justice, opened for them, maybe on the JT tour. At least the indoor part. Right?

Correct. How this connects Tench to U2, I really have no idea, but it's clear that they knew each other quite well and likely ran in similar crowds during the period.

The ring tone at the beginning of No Reply by the Buzzcocks is identical to the one heard throughout The Wall. I have no idea why that spooked me; it's probably just how phones sounded back in the day.

So Paul McG is into human trafficking now?

THAT's why there were people protesting human trafficking outside the show in Seattle. I guess he's into anything if there's enough profit to be made.

macdaddy.jpg

Correct. How this connects Tench to U2, I really have no idea, but it's clear that they knew each other quite well and likely ran in similar crowds during the period.

The ring tone at the beginning of No Reply by the Buzzcocks is identical to the one heard throughout The Wall. I have no idea why that spooked me; it's probably just how phones sounded back in the day.

I use that tone for incoming text messages. I believe it's the old British ringback tone. :wave:

I'm going to assume the colour temperature on that photo is accurate and they are all sufficiently shit faced

I'll jump in here.

Dude writes straight-forward, fun, catchy, guitar-driven rock and roll and has a group of talented musicians in his band.

Sure, he's not reinventing the wheel but the guy has written a ton of really good hooks in his career. Is it the vocals you don't like? I can see that. To me, I've always found him an endearing vocalist.

I don't find anyhjng about him offensive or objectionable, maybe that'd the problem. He kind of bores me. The writing, the music, the vocals...none of it stands out very much.

I own Wildflowers and Full Moon Fever, enjoy both, don't mind the older material when I've heard it...but honestly I don't rate him much higher than Mellencamp, to take an example from El Mel's Heartland rock. The restt of his list is about where I'd place him; he certainly doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside the rock greats though. and I'd put Westerberg, Chilton, and Hynde solidly above him as songwriters. Also, he's never made an album as good as Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend, either.

One other thing; The Replacements infamously opened for Petty after Don't Tell A Soul. Their big single at the time was I'll Be You, featuring the line "a rebel without a clue". Safe to say they played it most nights, and I'm sure Petty heard it numerous times. What line pops up on he title track of his album out the next year, Into The Great Wide Open? Yep, "a rebel without a clue", and in the chorus, no less. That is some major weak sauce right there.

I want to pick up a copy of Guitar Hero II just so I can play the title track. Yeah, great album.

One other thing; The Replacements infamously opened for Petty after Don't Tell A Soul. Their big single at the time was I'll Be You, featuring the line "a rebel without a clue". Safe to say they played it most nights, and I'm sure Petty heard it numerous times. What line pops up on he title track of his album out the next year, Into The Great Wide Open? Yep, "a rebel without a clue", and in the chorus, no less. That is some major weak sauce right there.

If we were to crucify every rock lyricist who has borrowed a line from somebody else, would there be any rock lyricists left?

We had that album at our teeny college radio station, and I think of it every time I listen to Staring At the Sun.

They were an Irish band, right? I always assume Bono borrowed their name for the song lyric.

The guy on the right has impressive strength if he can carry that man's torso while saving the parachuting girl from certain demise.

Bono must be jealous if he stole his lyrics like that.

I'd sure love to call you my good friend, Cori.

I want to pick up a copy of Guitar Hero II just so I can play the title track. Yeah, great album.

To be fair, the album wouldn't be half as good without Robert Quine and Richard Lloyd guest starring on guitar.

If we were to crucify every rock lyricist who has borrowed a line from somebody else, would there be any rock lyricists left?

Everybody borrows/lifts/steals. But from a younger band that JUST opened for you, and your song comes out less than 2 years after the one you ripped-off? Come on.

And The Replacements took it from a song title that came out 4 years earlier than theirs. Who cares?

Massive Attack put out a statement on their Facebook, today, in regards to the British riots:

In context with the complicit support of the government, the banks looted the nation's wealth while destroying countless small businesses and brought the whole economy to its knees in a covert, clean manner, rather like organised crime.

Our reaction was to march and wave banners and then bail them out. These kids would have to riot and steal every night for a year to run up a bill equivalent to the... value of non-paid tax big business has 'avoided' out of the economy this year alone.
They may not articulate their grievances like the politicians that condemn them but this is absolutely political. As for the 'mindless violence'… is there anything more mindless than the British taxpayer quietly paying back the debts of others while contributing bullets to conflicts that we have absolutely no understanding of?

It's mad, sad and scary when we have to take to the streets to defend our homes and businesses from angry thieving kids, but where are the police and what justice is ever done when the mob is dressed in pin stripe.

And The Replacements took it from a song title that came out 4 years earlier than theirs. Who cares?

I don't remember claiming that Paul was the only person who ever came up with that line.

Likelihood that Westerberg heard that Bonnie Tyler song: pretty unlikely

Likelihood that Tom Petty heard I'll Be You: almost certainly

If you can't understand the difference between these two things, you may have a learning disability.

I saw that, and read a few of the comments for the expected range of opinions.

I rolled my eyes at some American kid who asked "gosh, what are the riots about? This hasn't been on the news in the US at all."

You dumb shit. If you haven't seen/heard it in the news, you haven't been watching any news at all. Or you get your news from Sesame Street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom