Random Music Talk XCVIII: When the Music's Over...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was low on ingredients I normally use and just made a fairly gross green smoothie. Still drank it all.

I was about to make some stir-fry after a shitty day at work, but knocked a near-full bottle of soy sauce off the counter and lost it all.

After cursing at the top of my lungs and punching/throwing a few inanimate objects, I mopped up the mess and settled for making some chicken mulitas instead.

I bought some tortillas and some Monterey Jack cheese and just made some plain-ass quesadillas. Couple of dashes on salt on that bitch. Pretty boring. Not bad, not great.

I've been a cannibal this whole time and I actually kidnapped Jive and NSW and I am eating them currently.

Some guy I'm friends with on FB really does not like one of the main Pitchfork writers:

I really hope Ian Cohen retires or gets murder-raped by a pack of sentient fertility statues. He is the Mogwai (from Gremlins) of Alt-Bro. An "Alt-Bro Patient Zero", if you will. The reason why every music festival is nothing more than a barren shore for wave after wave of basic bitches to ceaselessly crash against. His puerile and bleached ivory-tower writing style. His "anybody but this guy" face and appearance. It just needs to go, in wormhole, back up Courtney Love's pussy, into the eternal void of nothingness. The opposite of existing is what needs to happen to this guy.

For reference:

330689682_640.jpg

Yes, all three for one arm and one leg. Regular price = first born child.

Actually the price is perfectly reasonable for just the CDs; it's just the deluxe vinyl boxes that are crazy expensive.

Speaking of which, is anyone really going to pay $100 for a Soundgarden reissue?

Yes, all three for one arm and one leg. Regular price = first born child.

Actually the price is perfectly reasonable for just the CDs; it's just the deluxe vinyl boxes that are crazy expensive.

I sprung on the box for III, which is one of my favorite albums.

Best Buy has the CDs for $14.99, $34.99 for the vinyl, $119 for the super sets.

Does anyone think it's odd that they didn't release all at the same time like The Beatles did, instead of staggering them out?

Anyway, I don't even know if I'm interested in alternate mixes compared to actual b-sides. LZ III has a couple of the latter so I may pick that one up. And believe it or not, I've never owned a copy of IV.

I'm sure this has been discussed already too, but all the albums were digitally remastered already by Jimmy Page in the late 90s, so this will be the third CD edition of these albums. I'm having a hard time understanding why these would be so vastly improved.

I'm sure this has been discussed already too, but all the albums were digitally remastered already by Jimmy Page in the late 90s, so this will be the third CD edition of these albums. I'm having a hard time understanding why these would be so vastly improved.

Yeah, I bought the "complete studio recordings" box set back then and I have a hard time justifying buying the albums again. Holding off for now unless these somehow sound miraculously improved.

Yeah, I bought the "complete studio recordings" box set back then and I have a hard time justifying buying the albums again. Holding off for now unless these somehow sound miraculously improved.

The complete studio recordings are actually drawn from the same masters as the original 1990 box set (and the second one from 1993). There may have been some minor tweaking, but they are essentially the same.

So this is really a complete facelift to the catalog, almost as long of a wait as the Beatles, which was originally in 1987.

My major interest in this reissue campaign is the vinyl editions. I especially want the IV vinyl, whenever it may come.

The complete studio recordings are actually drawn from the same masters as the original 1990 box set (and the second one from 1993). There may have been some minor tweaking, but they are essentially the same.

So this is really a complete facelift to the catalog, almost as long of a wait as the Beatles, which was originally in 1987.

You're missing a step here; the original CD releases from the mid-late 80s did not sound that great, and all the albums were released 5-10 years later with new digital remastering supervised by Page.

By contrast, The Beatles material came out in the early days of CDs (like Zeppelin, but with slightly better quality), and didn't get touched again (save for Yellow Submarine and Love) until 2009, almost 25 years later.

Back
Top Bottom