Random Music Talk XCVII: Now With Hot Man Pics!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
friends who have little kids are always inviting you to their kids' birthdays. while the kids are still thumb-sucking diaper-wearing age, it's like their only excuse to have a party and invite the people who they used to hang out with over for dinner. except it's not fun. it's awkward, you don't have your own anklebiters to bring along. gotta make sure you don't swear around the little ones.

Maybe it's because I'm married, but I do enjoy going to those lite get together, even if they're stupid.

I wouldn't say you're a bad friend, Cobbler, but I do notice where you say that you don't care and don't want to talk about curtains. I realize it's not your ideal conversation topic, but I think you need to kinda understand that her priorities/interests are focused in another direction right now. If that's what she wants to talk about then, much as you might not want to, the polite thing isn't to lead the conversation back to topics you want to talk about. Do you follow what I'm saying?

Perfectly warm, sunny day for the Stone Roses' debut. I used to listen to it constantly, but now I pick the right time so I don't get tired of it. Man, what a brilliant album. The first half must be one of the best ever, but then it just keeps being great for another half hour.

I have not. I will have to traipse up to the third floor where there is a decent wifi signal and see if it's on Beats Music, but I have some charts I have to complete first.

Let me know what you think if you do. I loved that last album. The two singles I've heard from this one have grown on me, but I don't like them quite as much as what was on the last one yet.

Maybe it's because I'm married, but I do enjoy going to those lite get together, even if they're stupid.

I wouldn't say you're a bad friend, Cobbler, but I do notice where you say that you don't care and don't want to talk about curtains. I realize it's not your ideal conversation topic, but I think you need to kinda understand that her priorities/interests are focused in another direction right now. If that's what she wants to talk about then, much as you might not want to, the polite thing isn't to lead the conversation back to topics you want to talk about. Do you follow what I'm saying?

I was thinking along these lines as well. If she wants to talk about curtains, and you want to talk to her, then you talk about what she wants to talk about.

I will say that for the average single male, the chance of having sex with a woman is proportionate to the amount of talk about curtains he will put up with.

Though you probably get to a point of diminishing returns. Listen to just enough and it might do the trick. Too much and they may get the wrong idea about you.

Although the average single male needs to learn to stop thinking about his chances of sex when he's talking to a non-single female. Or even a single one. Relax a little bit. :)

I was thinking along these lines as well. If she wants to talk about curtains, and you want to talk to her, then you talk about what she wants to talk about.

Yeah, if someone is that important to you, you make it work. If they're not and your interests are deviating that far, then let them go. It's a sad reality but it's really difficult to keep friends for years because people change.

This was covered thoroughly in the HIMYM finale. Probably why it hit Cobbler so hard.

Last edited:
I heard In a Little While randomly today. I know that song takes a lot of shit on these forums, but I enjoy it quite a bit whenever I hear it. For all the grandstanding Bono does about soul, that's one of the rare U2 tracks that actually has it, and that ragged vocal fits the song perfectly.

I think most of the backlash against the song is because they played it on 360 and it didn't make any sense. If it had been an intimate little number on Elevation only it would not get so much shit.

Yeah I'm so glad I didn't have to hear that one. It's a fine little song on the album but it's a waste of four minutes live.

agreed, just wait till the kids come along Cobbler, you'll never have another normal conversation again. If I were you, I would start cutting ties now to avoid all the crap they might start inviting you to down the line, weddings, christenings, birthdays... that shit adds up fast.

I regret ever adding on Facebook anybody with children. I'm just starting to get to that age where my friends are starting to have kids too. I don't care about your ugly kids!

I regret ever adding on Facebook anybody with children. I'm just starting to get to that age where my friends are starting to have kids too. I don't care about your ugly kids!

What's your real name? You should add me. ;)

I think most of the backlash against the song is because they played it on 360 and it didn't make any sense. If it had been an intimate little number on Elevation only it would not get so much shit.

Yeah I'm so glad I didn't have to hear that one. It's a fine little song on the album but it's a waste of four minutes live.

Iron-Axe-icon.png

I do follow what you're saying. And I do still engage in what's going on in her life, much as it might not have seemed like it from my post. She's still a dear friend and I want to keep her in my life. I just can't really relate to curtains, is all. Thanks for the thoughts though people, all good reading!

Perfectly warm, sunny day for the Stone Roses' debut. I used to listen to it constantly, but now I pick the right time so I don't get tired of it. Man, what a brilliant album. The first half must be one of the best ever, but then it just keeps being great for another half hour.

So good.

I heard In a Little While randomly today. I know that song takes a lot of shit on these forums, but I enjoy it quite a bit whenever I hear it. For all the grandstanding Bono does about soul, that's one of the rare U2 tracks that actually has it, and that ragged vocal fits the song perfectly.

:up: I love the song as well, it just doesn't need to be played live ever.

Mikal's kid is really cute, though.

Blur albums ranked:

1. Modern Life is Rubbish (My personal favorite)
2. Parklife (Classic)
3. Blur (Every song is good)
4. 13 (Like U2 Zoorops, artsy and original)
5. Think Tank (Not the same without all the members but a great effort)
6. Lesiure (Good but not great)
7. The Great Escape (Great couple of songs but the rest are meh)

I am bored. lol. Ipod shuffle

1. Death Cab For Cutie - Blacking Out the Friction
2. My Morning Jacket - Dancefloors
3. Modest Mouse - Florida
4. Phoenix - Fences
5. The Church - Welcome
6. Mew - Symmetry
7. Coldplay - Square One
8. The Electric Soft Parade - Captain
9. Broken Social Scene - Meet Me in the Basement
10. The Postal Service - Such Great Heights

7. The Great Escape (Great couple of songs but the rest are meh)

Probably the most sophisticated album the 90s Brit Pop period ever produced (with This Is Hardcore close behind). And while it drags on a bit too long, there are certainly more than a couple great songs on it.

Putting Leisure above this is a travesty.

I wouldn't rank it highly either. Lyrically on point, but it's perhaps their least surprising album from a musical standpoint. In hindsight, they had clearly boxed themselves in. Plus, it is far too long.

But it is better than Leisure, for sure.

Last edited:
Thanks, all of you (Martha). I finally listened to a Blake Shelton album...the illusion has been shattered.

I got a good laugh out of it, but I'll just stick to listening to what's on the radio. I still love the four or five songs of his that I really care about a lot, but other than that, it just doesn't quite seem worth it to delve deeper.

Back
Top Bottom