Random Music Talk XCIV:Great Distances and Ballistic Weaponry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've figured out what the worst thing in the entire world is.

It's that "Feel it all Around" is only 3'18 long. I've had it on repeat all morning.

Last week's Portlandia episode was funny.

At the Drive-In > The Mars Volta (by a huge margin)

Yes.

So, anyways, what's up with that new The Cure album?

Hopefully every song sounds like Underneath The Stars, as I otherwise can't help but think it will be terrible based on the description we've been given.

I've actually been listened to The Clash a decent amount lately, guyz. I say this every time it's brought up, but I've never really thought we talk about them that much at all in this thread. I'd love it if they were mentioned far more often. Am I the only one that thinks there are a handful of Clash-sounding songs on the new Arcade Fire album? The AM, the FM, the PM too, guyz.

This will be known as Laz's Clash Sermon on the Mount
Temple

Ha, didn't notice that. Nice to know Christgau agrees with me on something anyway.

I've actually been listened to The Clash a decent amount lately, guyz. I say this every time it's brought up, but I've never really thought we talk about them that much at all in this thread. I'd love it if they were mentioned far more often. Am I the only one that thinks there are a handful of Clash-sounding songs on the new Arcade Fire album? The AM, the FM, the PM too, guyz.

There's always the Mount Temple Clash thread!

Hopefully every song sounds like Underneath The Stars, as I otherwise can't help but think it will be terrible based on the description we've been given.

Yeah, Underneath the Stars is the only song I liked from that last record. It would be a big surprise if they (he?) had another decent album in them.

Joy Division > New Order

Yes. But not by much.

Substance [Qwest, 1987]
Twelve cuts, eleven previously released some way or other, five available some way or other on U.S. albums, only one in this form. The emphasis is on twelve-inch mixes, with a new vocal patched into the hallowed "Temptation." The double-CD includes a whole extra disc of collectorama, but the double vinyl has no fat: it does nothing less than show off the greatest disco band of the '80s except Chic, and these guys outlasted Chic. Of course, not until Chic was gone did their disco dwell fully among us. The secret of Bernard Albrecht's elementary vocals, Gillian Gilbert's two-finger exercises, Peter Hook's strummed bass, and the compressed physicality of Steve Morris's drums was never virtuosity--it was conception, timing, rapport, devotional concentration. Originally attracted to disco because it was trancelike, they broke through when they devised a system of kinetic percussion and hypnotic chants to keep themselves awake. Cultists miss the murk of the early mixes, but I prefer them hyped and speeded up. Pure rhythm machine with an ironically mysterious overlay of schlocky melody to help it go down, this album is a case study in sensationalist art, and I say the world is better for it. A

One of the Eno/Hyde songs has been released, and it's pretty cool.

Eno • Hyde - The Satellites - YouTube

Really digging that.

Back
Top Bottom