Random Music Talk XCIV:Great Distances and Ballistic Weaponry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The talk around 'Invisible' has had me glancing at the U2 discussion part of this forum for the first time in some years. This is, I fear, a mistake.

WTF is wrong with people, that they'll follow this band into the rabbit hole, promote their interests no matter how embarrassing they become, no matter how badly they tarnish their legacy?

And who the fuck, apart from the band's accountants, cares what was or wasn't a hit?:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Ugh, I have been pretty set over the last month or so that I'm going to move somewhere else and kiss this town goodbye...

... But I just found out there was a mass exodus of people from the last place I worked, because corporate moved to Indiana and the media position I wanted is now open....

... But I left there because I was miserable...

... Ughgjgjgj

Life's too short to be stuck in a shitty job. (Says the 23yo with two-and-a-half years of working experience.)

We have an "urgent editorial meeting" at 10am tomorrow. I'm getting drunk and trivia tonight and taking the day off tomorrow, but there's a reasonable chance I will wake up at midday with no job.

Nah. Management don't give much a shit about us anyway because we're the least profitable/marketable part of the business and the big bosses don't know who half of us are. They'll read off a sheet and stroll out.

So I am making a post that I will spoiler, as it's personal and not music related. I will also keep it brief. If anyone reads it and cares to know a bit more, send me a PM or if we're buddies on ye olde Facebook, feel free to message me there. OR NOT.

I'm moving to NYC in a month. Still working for the same company. This is good.

Hope you're getting a substantial COLA bump. Welcome back to the east coast.

People give U2 shit for how big they go with promo, well Coldplay is now talking about a single that won't come out until May. Just shut up, announce it the second you're releasing it.

It reminds me a lot of some of the darker trancy/ambientesque stuff I liked from the late 90s/early 2000s. Specifically a pinch of moby, a dash of the X-Files theme. Also the higher vocals remind me a lot of Peter Gabriel.

retro futurist sci fi Barry Gibb from space

So I am making a post that I will spoiler, as it's personal and not music related. I will also keep it brief. If anyone reads it and cares to know a bit more, send me a PM or if we're buddies on ye olde Facebook, feel free to message me there. OR NOT.

I'm moving to NYC in a month. Still working for the same company. This is good.

:hi5:

Just sounds like the Bee Gees to me. I like it. :shrug:

Sounding like the bee gees and liking it should be contradictory statements.

Sounds like the bee gees, but I somehow managed to not puncture my eardrums with flaming chipsticks. In fact, I actually like it. --now this is something I understand.

South By South Shuttlecock did not pan out. What'd we land instead?

Mo8woQu.gif

Why does Imperor LIE?? :sad:

There are still two TBA nights so it's possible. SX is trying to get Boner for the keynote. If that happens, should be good for a show. As of right now it's dead.

Now that the clients (LiveNation + Apple) who booked the venue are common knowledge, you can see how they'd be able to book that tier of talent. Pitbull is garbage, but there's no denying his popularity. The other two nights are headlined by Coldplay and Keith Urban. Interesting to see that Coldplay are going to use it as a buzz creating platform for a new album this year while Shuttlecock (as of right now) are not. But like I said, two nights remain to be booked. They'll be big names.

So as someone who doesn't listen to the radio, watch any broadcast television, and is off Twitter, I have no idea how Invisicock is doing popularity-wise.

Is the song still getting airplay and attention? Or is the lack of an album follow-up preventing it from gaining traction?

The other thing is, the iPod commercial for Squirtigo was something in heavy rotation* on TV, whereas the (RED)/BofA thing was one-time only. Which meant a big bang when it aired but less saturation overall. Yes the longer video was released but IMO they took too long with that follow-up, failing to jump on the initial buzz they created.

I'm having a hard time believing they have a better/catchier single in store for the "proper" promotion cycle (just typing this is making me angry), so the question remains if they can make a big, sustained wave** after this initial cannonball splash.

* not a reference to Holy Hoe
** not a reference to Every Broken Serve

Back
Top Bottom