Random Music Talk XCIII: IN-VIII-SI-COCK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must be getting old. I can't even bother to write a heartfelt few paragraphs of superlatives to describe just how I feel about this song...just how it takes me back to when I heard Beautiful Day at the HMV listening station...and the elation..the "U2 is BACK" feeling..then Kite..When I Look At The World..Walk On...etc.....I feel like this is going to be one of those albums..

Years ago you all would have been treated to pages and pages of me rambling and arguing tirelessly with the naysayers and trolls who don't contribute shit to this forum but yet love to parachute in once every 4 years and tell us all that we're intellectually inferior for actually liking a U2 song written after 1991 - the horror!

No, instead all I can muster is a "Fuck an Invisible hater". Well done, Internet. Well done.

PS I'm not really drunk but yes feeling very emotional about this. I really love this song. I can't even hide it.

I just listened to it for the third time - this time with headphones. I'm liking it more and more.

The first 15 seconds reminds me of another artist, but I just can't quite put my finger on who. It definitely sounds like fresh territory for U2.

I'm at a bowling alley in the mountains

Thought about catching up with this thread since I left for the Super Bowl party I attended, but I'm gonna stop here, because, seriously, why hasn't someone punched you in the dick yet?

I have listened to the song a few times, I still am liking it a lot. I hope that's the last song I hear from the album until it's released, though.

I have to grit my teeth going through the reactions in the Other Place with all the mentions of "it sounds like The Killers!". No, it sounds reminiscent of some of U2's early idols that The Killers revived the sound of along with being influence by U2 and the synth rock of the 80's. It's got a krautrock/Joy Division/OMD vibe along with early U2 attitude but it's decidedly 2014. It's also interesting how "light" people seem to think the lyrics are, when it seems to try to capture the spite with which Bono left his father's home to be his own man/be a rock star.

Also, I haven't seen anyone mention its commonality with Acrobat/the MOS spoken word live rap in its face of melting snow reference.

And it definitely shares its reference to changing your name with Gone.

What I'd like to do is I'd like to hug and kiss you

Haha. Funny that that Simpson's episode first aired over 20 years ago.

Yes, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you what they were selling, so clearly the ad was a failure.

It was promoting Jerry's web series: "Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee". I believe Larry David is involved with it too.

I was cheering for the Broncos, so that sucked.

Invisible is good though. :up:

Also, do people not remember Dylan's Victoria's Secret ad from Time Out Of Mind era? Old news. Dylan marches to a different drummer, he probably thinks it's funny, just seeing him on camera, talking or not, makes me laugh because he's so strange.

Also, do people not remember Dylan's Victoria's Secret ad from Time Out Of Mind era? Old news. Dylan marches to a different drummer, he probably thinks it's funny, just seeing him on camera, talking or not, makes me laugh because he's so strange.

I forgot about that. That was hilarious.

Yeah I think I actually have some sampler CD of that time with Victoria's Secret stamped on it somewhere.

I got in my car to drive to a friend's to watch a local sporting event tonight and the song playing on the local radio station as I turned on the car was Invisible, and so I was about to play it on my iphone after it ended but then they played Invisible a second time in a row and it was amazing.

There's some stank lyrics in there, but they're not load-bearing lyrics so it's fine.

Invisible > Beautiful Day

Nah

Invisible is trying to reach Beautiful Day levels of heartrending grandiosity, but Bono's contribution doesn't feel completely natural. BD really felt like lightning in a bottle, only it wasn't an accident.

It's a fundamentally very good song with some impressive window dressing that suggests some fresh new influences. But it's not BD good. It's probably their best pure pop song since though.

Last edited:
I'm with laz, this has a central theme and a point, BD has several sentiments but nothing tying it together other than the chorus. BD is infectious, this is cool and emotional.

It's funny, Bono mentioned OMD back in the NLOTH days and yet that influence was nowhere to be found (wouldn't have made much sense on that album) and yet, here it is now.

The OMD influence is fantastic. I wish that intro had permeated the whole song instead of lasting 30 seconds and giving way to a U2ey U2 song. If I have any issue with the arrangement, it's how those pieces don't quite fit together.

Unpopular opinion: if Ordinary Love were on the new album and it wound up being one of the lesser tracks, I wouldn't complain. It's a hell of a lot better than the terrible trio from NLOTH.

At this point, I'm not too concerned about this era being shit. We've already got two songs that are well ahead of Boots. They're writing decent songs with Danger Mouse. I just wonder if he challenged them at all.

Last edited:
The OMD influence is fantastic. I wish that intro had permeated the whole song instead of lasting 30 seconds and giving way to a U2ey U2 song. If I have any issue with the arrangement, it's how those pieces don't quite fit together.

Hmm. To me it does carry through subtly, although yes if it was OMD doing it it would have remained constant..it's still there under all the other stuff tho and it pops back up throughout.

I actually agree with your subsequent post on OL. It could be far far worse lol.

I started listening to no line. I realized I've done this before because I recognized the title track. But then I fell asleep, and didnt wake up til boots. I turned it off and decided it was bed time.

That synth/guitar line in Invisible is easily Edge's most creative contribution to the band since LAPOE. It's awesome. And yeah, if you want to say that's where the old school influences permeate the song I can buy that, though I think it sounds more like M83 than anything.

If you search on "U2 Super Bowl" on Twitter, in addition to a general consensus that U2's halftime show at '36 was one of/the best ever...there's a pretty overwhelming sentiment that U2 dropping Invisible is the best part of this years event, including the game.

Not sure how much of a compliment that is, but anyways certainly not a hard day to wear ones U2 fandom proudly :)

I also think I actually understand why Laz feels Invisible > Beautiful Day and think its an interesting viewpoint especially in the context of complaints about hollow or lite lyrics..I mean, I love BD as much as the next fan but there's a hell of alot of pop lite stuff going on in BD...Invisible almost feels more punk rock to me in attitude lyrically. Where BD still holds alot of edge of course is in how much it kicks ass live, but again that's because they (esp Bono and Edge) are playing the hell out of their respective parts live. Will they step it up like that for Invisible? Do we even need to wonder? Lol

It'll be interesting to see which actually ends up being the bigger live anthem. Don't be surprised if Invisible takes over. There's alot that people might take far more personally and buy into than the "don't let it get away" feel good message. Invisible has fist pumping angsty grit, to me.

I've never been a big fan of BD. The only part that really does it for me is the "what you don't have..." and guitar at the end. The verses bore me aside from the nicely descriptive lyric, and the chorus isn't as catchy as Invisible's, especially that second descending "...dayayayyyy" in BD which is meh. Doesn't come close to Walk On.

I think I like the *way Bono is singing in BD live far more than many of the actual words themselves. He's hit pretty close to the bone with me personally with much of Invisible lyrically and it's resonating.

Though i did feel that way about BD intially also. Different point in my life, I guess..

and the chorus isn't as catchy as Invisible's

I can't agree with that. The manner that the lyrics flow in Invisible is a bit clunky. Too many words.

It's a beautiful day
Don't let it get away

Those are pop lyrics. Simple and effective. If that's what you're going for, that kind of terse lyricism is perfect.

I have to grit my teeth going through the reactions in the Other Place with all the mentions of "it sounds like The Killers!". No, it sounds reminiscent of some of U2's early idols that The Killers revived the sound of along with being influence by U2 and the synth rock of the 80's. It's got a krautrock/Joy Division/OMD vibe along with early U2 attitude but it's decidedly 2014. It's also interesting how "light" people seem to think the lyrics are, when it seems to try to capture the spite with which Bono left his father's home to be his own man/be a rock star.

:shrug: it reminds me of the Killers in the same way it reminds others of Coldplay. Just because a band has strong influences doesn't mean they can't turn those influences into a sound that others also attribute to the younger act.

Back
Top Bottom