Random Music Talk XCI: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. I've finally had a chance to come home now and really take it in. I'm really glad I have a place to talk about stuff that I sometimes wouldn't really want to blast all over Facebook, but still need to get out.

Thanks guys.

And yeah, DB, I know what you mean. I wanted to be able to talk to him because he was always a little down and he had talked about it. Just wish he had let me.

Extremely sorry to hear about your friend.
Its an awful thing. And don't ever (anybody here) feel like talking about these things among us is a burden or a drag to the rest of us. We all sympathize and if it helps even a little to talk aboout it its worth it.

Sorry to hear about that Ashley, really.

I suppose this isn't news to anyone who likes them, but there's a torrent kicking around with a discography compilation of sorts of The Chvrches. It has some EPs, remixes and live radio shows included. I happened upon it before leaving for a day of driving and it kept me company alot of the way. I really reallly like this band. Their remixes are intelligently done and most of them don't sound forced, very naturally dance music. I hope what's next is just as stellar. I can't wait to see them live.

I find it hilarious (and awesome) that even though there seems to be so much music stuff I disagree with you about, the thing that unites us is Les Miserables. :lol:

I know, right?

That's kind of what iyup said in the depeche mode thread, when I finally discovered hey, they're not the shitty band that I thought they were. Although this is way funnier, cos its friggin les miserables.

Thanks once again, everyone for the kind words.

Extremely sorry to hear about your friend.
Its an awful thing. And don't ever (anybody here) feel like talking about these things among us is a burden or a drag to the rest of us. We all sympathize and if it helps even a little to talk aboout it its worth it.

And thanks for this very much. Makes me feel better.

In music stuff...am I crazy or does "Hymn of the Big Wheel" sound a lot like the closing credits song for MST3K?

Is there a better six-song run in history than Watch That Man-Aladdin Sane-Drive-In Saturday-Panic in Detroit-Cracked Actor-Time? Were it not for the next two tracks, which just bring it down a touch for me, I'd probably call Aladdin Sane perfect.

That's a good six-song album. The following two are my favorite six-song albums though:

One of These Days - A Pillow of Winds - Fearless - San Tropez - Seamus - Echoes

Fear of a Blank Planet - My Ashes - Anesthetize - Sentimental - Way Out of Here - Sleep Together

:drool:

Re: Meddle... That album flows about a trillion times better if you cut out San Tropez and Seamus. The Liverpool chant into Echoes is incredible.

It is a masterpiece already. San Tropez and Seamus give it some lightness and breeziness. The record doesn't take itself too seriously (*cough The Wall cough*) because of it and it serves as a cool little break before the magnificence that is Echoes.

Also, since I heard about the new rumored song title I've been singing "INVIIII-SI-COOOCK" to the tune of Magnificock.

Hope NSW gets some fun out of that.

my housemate thinks skrillex is the greatest thing ever. i think it may be literally the worst music i've ever heard, and i am about to go slap the headphones off him. he knows i hate it, so he listens to it in headphones. except it's so fucking loud that i'm not only listening to it, i'm listening to the tinny, outside the headphones, extra bad sounding version of it.

So it doesn't seem like people want to talk too much U2 in here anymore, but if the album is coming out late March/early April, I think it would be a really smart move for them to play Coachella.

The case against it is that if people can see U2 there, they wouldn't bother to see them again on the proper tour, but consider this: even as headliners they would have an abbreviated set, and it would certainly be without the bells and whistles of their usual stage show (however ambitious or scaled-back it winds up being). So it's just a taste of the full U2 live experience.

And I'd argue that from a promotional standpoint, they'd have an opportunity to convert a lot of people who may have previously written them off or never given them a chance, and if they put on a great performance, it could really whet people's appetites to see a full show, and more importantly buy the album.

Ultimately, I don't think it affect them ticket sales-wise. They're going to sell out every venue anyway. But it would put them back in the conversation in a big way w/r/t relevance (which we know they crave), and because it's so early it would serve as part of their promo tour and not interrupt the actual tour which likely wouldn't start until the summer.

Any thoughts? The only stumbling block would be how much they would get paid, but perhaps their new manager would be more receptive to it than McCocknne$$.

I'll talk about U2 as often and as in-depth as you like.

I think that it would be a smart move to place them in a festival environment like that. I am assuming that being with Live Nation means fresh, less antiquated thinking and thus things like Coachella would be more in play. Putting them in front of people that potentially might not like them, or even really know their music, cannot hurt them in any meaningful way that I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom