Random Music Talk XCI: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I probably mention it every year, am throwing it out there in the wrong thread, and even have and old journal entry somewhere on here about it, but Okkervil River's 'Listening to Otis Redding at Home During Christmas' sure does bum me out this time of year.

Looking back at how much I have spent on music this year, I'm really considering just getting a Spotify premium account. Anyone have experience with how well the mobile app works and listening to music offline?

My problem is that cell phone reception and wifi both totally suck in my office, so I would have to have the offline functionality.

It's been one of my favorite songs ever, by anybody, for a really long time now, and I only just realized that "So Cruel" is hugely influenced by Dylan. The production disguises it, but if that thing were stripped down to acoustic guitar and harmonica, it would be a Bob Dylan song.

The phrasing of "crueeeeeeeeeeel" at the end of each chorus even sounds a hell of a lot like Dylan's phrasing of "bluuuuuuuuue" at the end of the final chorus in "Tangled Up In Blue".

This is like a lost song off of Blood On The Tracks.

That's a great observation. And even if Bono's inflection wasn't intentional, that doesn't mean it wasn't a subconscious influence.

It's not like they covered Kraftwerk before of anything :rolleyes:

Yeah, that.

Last night, I was thinking that if that Super Bowl thing came to fruition, I wouldn't be surprised if they were last-minute additions to the Grammy's line-up, but I see the Grammy's are earlier this year than normal, so there goes that plan :(

So you believe Bono about the direction of new music whenever he name-checks a bunch of random bands from the late 70s? Just like when he claimed John Coltrane was an influence on Silver & Gold or whatever the fuck song that was?

The mention of The Clash, Sex Pistols, and Kraftwerk are not in quotes, so it's not clear whether this was from the writer's observation, or just a list spoonfed by Bono. But obviously the writer heard some elements to the point where he felt the comparison was legitimate to publish. :shrug:

FUCK YES THAT IS EPlC AND AWESOME. The Polish guy is awesome, just having to fit all those extra consonants in there.

I have that DVD and love it to death.

The 25th anniversary concert was a bummer in many ways (JOE JONAS, WUT*), but worth a watch because Alfie Boe is so awesome. And the ending extravaganza/spectacular spectacular has the original cast come out and sing One Day More, and Michael Ball just makes me crazy with glee when he sings "My place is here ..."

This is the must-watch: 4 Valjeans doing Bring Him Home. The key change when Alfie Boe comes in makes me swoon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ypIhY42-o

*his voice was miles better than I would have imagined, but he has only one facial expression throughout the whole thing.

I'm so very anxious about what they do next. This album was on the border between what they used to be and what I'm fearing they will become. I hope the fun-lovin' fun. survives into the next release.

So, I just found out that my friend from Texas who introduced me to Erasure and New Order killed himself in July. He'd been ducking my calls since May of last year and I knew something was wrong. I'm trying so hard to keep it together right now, because I'm at work and there are people around, but this is the closest person (outside of family) I have ever had in my life die and I'm just kinda feeling terrible.

Sorry guys, I know that's a really heavy thing to bring up, I posted it in a bit of a haze. I'd go back and delete it, but it's already been there for a while now.

I think folks here know that sometimes we need to talk about personal shitty stuff that's making us really sad.

Not to be all trite emoticonny, but :hug:

No, I appreciate it. Trite or not.

I had a horrible feeling this had happened. I knew he wasn't feeling right. But, ugh, to actually hear about it.

Thanks guys.

And yeah, DB, I know what you mean. I wanted to be able to talk to him because he was always a little down and he had talked about it. Just wish he had let me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom