Random Music Talk XCI: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because Wilco is such a BIG BAND.

You should make a band career earnings chart showing how much they're allowed to charge for tickets and at what point it's no longer permissible to take Budweiser's cash.

BlackBerry-Loves-U2.jpg

That is BY FAR the lowest point of his performance. It did not work at all. He sounds strained the entire time. I was sooooo bummed about that. Like they couldn't have just lowered the song even a half step? Fast-forward through that part.

On the plus side, the highest point of his performance is the beginning when he's singing his soliloquy (sp?) that ends with "... Jean Valjean is nothing now, a new story must begin" - that whole scene is really great.

I can't say I really noticed a lot of missed notes. Even Russell Crowe can't be faulted pitch-wise. I think the tone of his voice is just awful. It's not that he can't sing, it's just that he was all wrong for such an important role.

yeah, i don't get why they couldn't lower it a little. it sounded painful.

i probably will watch it at some point. i think i read like 2 things saying people missed a lot of notes, so i figured it was a thing.

it always seems like there's someone behind me making fun of me for thinking this is awesome, but it's sort of epic:
Les Miserables: Do you hear the people sing: Sung by 17 Valjeans from around the world - YouTube

yeah, i don't get why they couldn't lower it a little. it sounded painful.

i probably will watch it at some point. i think i read like 2 things saying people missed a lot of notes, so i figured it was a thing.

it always seems like there's someone behind me making fun of me for thinking this is awesome, but it's sort of epic:
Les Miserables: Do you hear the people sing: Sung by 17 Valjeans from around the world - YouTube

It's pretty cool. Out of all the English singing guys though the Canadian dude sounds a bit weird.

Because Wilco is such a BIG BAND.

You should make a band career earnings chart showing how much they're allowed to charge for tickets and at what point it's no longer permissible to take Budweiser's cash.

The gulf between the two bands in question is so big I can't believe you're making that kind of argument, as if it's the difference between Wilco and The National.

The gulf between the two bands in question is so big I can't believe you're making that kind of argument, as if it's the difference between Wilco and The National.

I'm more or less saying that at the time of Wilco's "selling out" they were not a big band. Nor do I have a mental sliding scale of when it's appropriate to license music. Nor do I really care. It's just funny knowing you will care.

Wilco tours nonstop, either as a band or in their separate or solo projects. That probably means that they need to tour to life off their art. It's not like they are sitting in the Côte d'Azur playing music through their loudspeakers. I don't care if they sell their music for big companies. Where does one draw the boundary between, say, Grizzly Bear, Feist circa iPod ads and Wilco?

I'm more or less saying that at the time of Wilco's "selling out" they were not a big band. Nor do I have a mental sliding scale of when it's appropriate to license music. Nor do I really care. It's just funny knowing you will care.

They were pretty damn big before Sky Blue Sky, Yankee Hotel going Gold and the following album selling over 300k. I'm too lazy to research the size of the venues they were playing, but basically whatever you'd put just under arenas.

And I don't have a scale either, sometimes it just seems to me that the band didn't need the money.

Any Canadians about tonight? Just a wonder, what's the best city to live? At some point I'm planning on emigrating (well I hope to). It's not going to be any time soon though, just starting a new job in January in cancer research, maybe two years down the line or so. Nurses seem to get paid a lot more out there.

They were pretty damn big before Sky Blue Sky, Yankee Hotel going Gold and the following album selling over 300k. I'm too lazy to research the size of the venues they were playing, but basically whatever you'd put just under arenas.

I saw them about six months before SBS and therefore the VW ads came out in a 900 capacity venue in San Antonio. Adjusted for a real city that's probably a couple thousand. They definitely had great notoriety by that point, but I don't think they were rich men by any stretch of the imagination. It was hardly a "Rock and Roll"-in-a-Cadillac-spot situation.

/devilsadvocate

Only if he found a time machine back to when Blackadder was still a thing.

It's been one of my favorite songs ever, by anybody, for a really long time now, and I only just realized that "So Cruel" is hugely influenced by Dylan. The production disguises it, but if that thing were stripped down to acoustic guitar and harmonica, it would be a Bob Dylan song.

The phrasing of "crueeeeeeeeeeel" at the end of each chorus even sounds a hell of a lot like Dylan's phrasing of "bluuuuuuuuue" at the end of the final chorus in "Tangled Up In Blue".

This is like a lost song off of Blood On The Tracks.

It's been one of my favorite songs ever, by anybody, for a really long time now, and I only just realized that "So Cruel" is hugely influenced by Dylan. The production disguises it, but if that thing were stripped down to acoustic guitar and harmonica, it would be a Bob Dylan song.

The phrasing of "crueeeeeeeeeeel" at the end of each chorus even sounds a hell of a lot like Dylan's phrasing of "bluuuuuuuuue" at the end of the final chorus in "Tangled Up In Blue".

This is like a lost song off of Blood On The Tracks.

Never thought of that not being a big Dylan-phile, but fuck me do I love that song so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom