Random Music Talk XCI: A Festivus for the Rest of Us

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I finally checked out the, uhh, new McCartney the other day, and after the first four songs was actually excited to come on here and praise the album, which no doubt would have shaken the foundations of Bang & Clatter to its core.

Alas, it became a bit scattershot after that. "Early Days" should really pull on the Beatles sentiment but lyrically it's a little too on the nose, and musically uninteresting. Also Macca rarely seemed to be emoting vocally, which is weird because I'm pretty sure he still goes balls-out when he's playing live. A little too restrained here in that dept.

Anyway, also loved the title track, the closer "Road" was another standout. But yeah that first stretch from Save Us to Queenie Eye was pretty damned strong, and I loved hearing him say "bitches" on the latter.

Alright I got some vouchers for Xmas, which Roots album should I buy before the gig tonight?

Also this Snoopzilla joint is pretty sweet. Thick grooves. Schloop would love it.

Alright I got some vouchers for Xmas, which Roots album should I buy before the gig tonight?

Do you have any already?

Things Fall Apart and Illadelph Halflife are the best.

Phrenology is great but I really think those previous ones are essential before getting deeper.

I did love that album the first time I heard it, the second time I found it pretty average, so who knows.

Do you have any already?

Things Fall Apart and Illadelph Halflife are the best.

Phrenology is great but I really think those previous ones are essential before getting deeper.

Frustratingly, as is often the case with JB Hi-Fi, they don't have the real good shit. Ended up buying Lou Reed's New York and the Wowee Zowee reissue, was about time I got another Pavement album, as well as a Pink Moon boxset.

Spotifying Things Fall Apart as we speak, judging from setlists it seems they play more tracks from that than Illadelph or Phrenology, only got time for one album.

So many great tracks in on that album, but that's one of the best.

"Either stand tall or sit the fuck down
All the way from 2-1-5th to Bucktown"

Then on the next track Love Of My Life you have a great appearance by Common, prob my favorite on the album.

If you haven't heard them, you might enjoy his first two albums, Five Leaves Left and Bryter Layter more. The former is more folksy, has a bit more variety (Beck's Round the Bend is a clear homage to Drake's River Man) while the latter is much more lush and upbeat. For a musician who is so often labelled as downtrodden and depressed, Bryter Layter finds him pretty happy... even when he's downbeat he's taking the piss out of himself (Poor Boy). And Northern Sky is a beautiful, hopeful song.

Pink Moon is the best, and the consensus favourite, definitely, because it's fully-realised and has a great deal of substance. You couldn't say it's slight, which is remarkable given it only runs 26 minutes. But Bryter Layter is my favourite on a lot of days.

I'm not sure I would describe Pink Moon as the most fully realized, per se, but it is the most coherent. It's all coming from the same place, which I grant is not necessarily a place everyone is going to want to often go. But it's an extremely revealing record with more grit than you're likely to find in any folk record. There's nothing quite like it because the artist behind it poured themself into the performances, which is all you can ask for within the genre.

Last edited:
The Roots was like the exact opposite of what I was expecting. I assumed it'd be a hip-hop gig with live instruments, but it was pretty much an hour-40 long party jam. They're more a band than a hip-hop group, at least live. So much fun. I believe they opened with Double Trouble, and from there the music never stopped. There were drum improvs, the dude on keys went on some Aladdin Sane shit at one point, Black Thought rapped and sang, How I Got Over was insane, the guitarist was fucking incredible, he did like a five-minute solo where he was accompanying his playing with these fucking crazy sounds coming out of his mouth, he went full-on Prince mode a little later, the dude on tuba is a complete fucking boss, I can't describe how cool the guitarist, bass player and tuba man were, they were all in unison behind Thought, the other percussionist was mad and and played hype man during the close, which ran about 20 minutes. They covered Jungle Boogie, Sweet Child O Mine and a few others, it was just ridiculously entertaining.

My mate took a sick photo too

1530551_10202195420119909_621867822_n.jpg

Yeah, it's in the top five of the year for me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who definitely believes it belongs in a top whatever list. I'd say top 10 just to hedge my bets as I'm not ready to think about what the others would be. But I'm certainly listening to it alot.

I'm really bummed I didn't go see them in September. Next time for sure.

The Roots was like the exact opposite of what I was expecting. I assumed it'd be a hip-hop gig with live instruments, but it was pretty much an hour-40 long party jam. They're more a band than a hip-hop group, at least live. So much fun. I believe they opened with Double Trouble, and from there the music never stopped. There were drum improvs, the dude on keys went on some Aladdin Sane shit at one point, Black Thought rapped and sang, How I Got Over was insane, the guitarist was fucking incredible, he did like a five-minute solo where he was accompanying his playing with these fucking crazy sounds coming out of his mouth, he went full-on Prince mode a little later, the dude on tuba is a complete fucking boss, I can't describe how cool the guitarist, bass player and tuba man were, they were all in unison behind Thought, the other percussionist was mad and and played hype man during the close, which ran about 20 minutes. They covered Jungle Boogie, Sweet Child O Mine and a few others, it was just ridiculously entertaining.

Glad you had a good time. Do they not have one of the "human beatbox" guys with them anymore? That's a shame because in the glory days you had Rahzel or Scratch, both of whom could do some pretty amazing shit with just a microphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom