Random Music Talk LXXXVIII: Don't mention your vacations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The first six tracks on Van Halen's debut are a knockout. That would be one of the all-time great EPs. And I enjoy 1984 pretty well.

Curious if there any good Roth albums I missed.

I was being facetious, of course, but from what I know of his solo catalog, it's the high-water mark.

Eat 'Em And Smile is actually a pretty good album, and not as slick as Van Hagar's 5150 debut. It's certainly more substantial than his 4-song EP of covers (albeit enjoyable ones).

David Lee Roth - Shyboy - YouTube

Fair Warning and Women and Children First between them have some of the best VH tracks of all time. Neither is a complete great album but each has like 3 classics and a few other good tracks. Each also has a couple of clunkers.

True. Like this, one of my favorite VH songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-bt81UBDLI

Van Halen II is uneven but also has some great ones.

I'll have to sort through those remaining albums. VH was never really an album band I guess.

I'll have to sort through those remaining albums. VH was never really an album band I guess.

And those early albums tend to clock in around 30-35 minutes so they are quick listens.

VHII is probably more solid than Women and Children First and Fair Warning in terms of top to bottom, but personally the next 2 albums have the stronger top tracks.

Standouts from each include:

VHII: Dance the Night Away, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, DOA, Beautiful Girls

Women and Children First: And the Cradle Will Rock, Everybody Wants Some, Fools, Romeo Delight (those are the first 4 tracks, they knock it out of the park then the album loses some steam) and Take Your Whiskey Home

Fair Warning: Mean Streets, Dirty Movies, Unchained, So This is Love

And honestly I think the recent album A Different Kind of Truth is possibly their 2nd strongest overall album. "Tattoo" is the greatest reverse bait and switch in rock history. Start the album with track 2 and its fantastic.

Talk about a good month for electronica. Tim Hecker, Four Tet, Oneohtrix Point Never, and The Field all releasing something.

And those in a year with really good albums from Autechre, Boards of Canada, Jon Hopkins and James Holden.

I've only heard Oneohtrix of the four you listed, but I have a test tomorrow and need to study, so that will change.

I just picked up Rounds by Four Tet. Will have to listen to the new one.

LeMel, I just listened to the Lorde album on Spotify - I liked it. Definitely agree that her voice reminds me a bit of Lana Del Rey. Will be buying the album, I think.

Rounds is still his finest hour for me. I could listen to "Unspoken" forever.

Lorde recorded that album when she was 16, which is just crazy to me. The lyrical content is tops when you take that into consideration, not necessarily because she wrote it all herself (that's doubtful) but because Universal believed she could pull it off. I think it works well.

She also covers Hold My Liquor at her shows, so I know she's on the right track.

Saw the Pet Shop Boys last night. Fun show; will have to pick up their new album.

It's a Sin remains an amazing song.

Rounds is still his finest hour for me. I could listen to "Unspoken" forever.

It's a great album. Will have to give the stream of the new one a listen, they're typically one of my favorite artists of this sort.

I'd like to know the story behind the weird masks they were wearing in your pictures.

It was very bizarre. They also wore, at varying points, pointy dunce hats, disco ball heads (Chris Lowe's appeared to cover his whole head), and ... a bed.

Both were strapped (or otherwise attached) vertically into an upright bed, covers tucked up against their chins, while projections of bodies moved, twisted and writhed below them. That was actually pretty awesome.

Queens of the Stone Age ACL taping tonight to kick off fest weekend, gang. Let's get it.

It was very bizarre. They also wore, at varying points, pointy dunce hats, disco ball heads (Chris Lowe's appeared to cover his whole head), and ... a bed.

Both were strapped (or otherwise attached) vertically into an upright bed, covers tucked up against their chins, while projections of bodies moved, twisted and writhed below them. That was actually pretty awesome.

:lol: I wish I could go see them.

LeMel, Cori - I listened to that Lorde album today and enjoyed it. I only listened to like two Lana Del Ray songs and didn't like them, so she doesn't remind me of LDR since I can barely remember her sound. But I like this album. I think the short length of time suits it. Anymore and it would probably overstay its welcome. Pretty well done.

I know nothing about this Lorde customer, but she's alright in my book.

Sure.

Also, Laz, I remember you saying a couple months ago I'd have to wait to buy that Deap Vally album, so I finally went to buy it this week and that motherfucker's STILL not out. What the hell?

Life related question (no music involved).

I was (finally, I've more or less known they were going to make an offer for 2 weeks) offered a job today. I'll essentially be doing exactly what I was doing at my old job, with a higher title, for a young company. It should hopefully be a pretty good fit. While it's more than I was making at my previous job, it's slightly less than I thought they'd offer. Obviously, any job (particularly one that pays a good percentage more than I previously made) is an improvement over being unemployed, but I'm wondering if I should ask for slightly more. I've always been told you should fight for pay up front, or you'll likely never get it later on. Then again, there's likely the opportunity to grow with the company, as they're quite young / small still, and I'll more or less be the one and only employee covering what a team of 4 or 5 of us did at my last job. In other words, if things work out and the company continues growing, I could potentially end up being promoted and leading the team.

In short, would you just take it and do your best to make a strong impression with the hope of growth, or would you ask for more up front? I've admittedly never asked for more with an offer, so I feel awkward about it. I know it's fairly common, but I certainly don't want to spoil the relationship right from the beginning. Advice would be appreciated.

I was (finally, I've more or less known they were going to make an offer for 2 weeks) offered a job today. I'll essentially be doing exactly what I was doing at my old job, with a higher title, for a young company. It should hopefully be a pretty good fit. While it's more than I was making at my previous job, it's slightly less than I thought they'd offer. Obviously, any job (particularly one that pays a good percentage more than I previously made) is an improvement over being unemployed, but I'm wondering if I should ask for slightly more. I've always been told you should fight for pay up front, or you'll likely never get it later on. Then again, there's likely the opportunity to grow with the company, as they're quite young / small still, and I'll more or less be the one and only employee covering what a team of 4 or 5 of us did at my last job. In other words, if things work out and the company continues growing, I could potentially end up being promoted and leading the team.

In short, would you just take it and do your best to make a strong impression with the hope of growth, or would you ask for more up front? I've admittedly never asked for more with an offer, so I feel awkward about it. I know it's fairly common, but I certainly don't want to spoil the relationship right from the beginning. Advice would be appreciated.

I used to think I HAD to ask for more, because, you know, that's what you do. And it's often true that most organizations offer you less than what they truly have budgeted and expect you to possibly ask for more......but one thing I adhere to and I may have mentioned something similar to Ashley about a different topic is....you should just do what's most comfortable...do you want to receive an extra few K in exchange for feeling uncomfortable and second guessing yourself for weeks on end? If the $$$ is enough to keep you living the life you want to live, and you're a reluctant negotiator, then do right by yourself and don't worry about abstract do's and don'ts....the money won't matter all that much in the short term, but your peace of mind will. That's my approach, at least.

Also, congratulations on the offer, I'm happy for you.

Steve Burns, aka Steve from Blue's Clues, recorded an album after quitting the show. The album, Songs For Dustmites, features members of The Flaming Lips. Pitchfork gave it a 7.8.

Wikipedia makes life endlessly interesting.

I have zero experience with this, but I agree with Mike. Be comfortable, make an astounding impression, and then ride the wave of love and money.
I'm full of poetic shit, but you know what I mean. I'm so happy for you.

mofo -
I agree completely with NSW. Maybe ask them about the frequency of last-minute business trips to the other side of the globe and consider how that might impact your 2014 concert schedule and take it from there. ;) And, congratulations! :up: :up:

Congrats. That is a tough one, though. I was fortunate (or unfortunate, I guess) in that I knew that my first job offer had a set budget where they couldn't go any higher. I actually turned it down because it was too low.

I am leaning towards what Mike said, about how your peace of mind is probably worth more if you think it's enough. What is "enough" is the real question, and it's certainly not selfish for you to wrestle with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom