Random Music Talk LXXXVIII: Don't mention your vacations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Laz, I recall you recommending FilesTube before. Is that still a website you use? It has seemed to be less and less reliable recently.

Laz, I recall you recommending FilesTube before. Is that still a website you use? It has seemed to be less and less reliable recently.

I haven't been DLing direct as much as I used to, and try to use TPB for most stuff. But yeah I've noticed some of the sites featured on FilesTube really suck.

But yeah I've noticed some of the sites featured on FilesTube really suck.
They do. Most links on there are dead as well. I use The Piratebay but it's often difficult to find older, not so well-known albums on there.

A few recent albums I've heard:

Goldfrapp, Tales of Us: Very sedate and in places gorgeous. A bit homogenous but definitely a strong album.

Elton John, The Diving Board: Another quality late-career effort. It has a down-home, almost folksy current, I'm guessing on account of T Bone Burnett having produced it. The piano is extremely prominent throughout, which has always been a good thing for Elton.

Chelsea Wolfe, Pain Is Beauty: This one feels like a tragic opera. I admire the sense of grandeur these songs manage without resorting to instrumental gimmicks. I need to look into more of her stuff.

Nobody will care much, I don't think, but I'm bummed Asobi Seksu announced that they broke up yesterday. I quite liked them and was hoping to see them in concert one day.

Anyone here heard Lorde's album? I liked Royals and am enjoying the album so far. The icy production is very skeletal and maybe a little conservative (it never really takes a stab at being more than background noise) but she has a nice voice and lyrically she reminds me of Lana Del Rey without the shtick.

I wish she'd gone the modeling route instead. Legs for days.

Despite Mike Will Made It producing it, Bangerz is a pretty misleading title for the new Miley Cyrus album. Especially with that extra Z.

I wish she'd gone the modeling route instead. Legs for days.

The only project she has on the table right now is a 30 minute film that she's starring in, and it doesn't have any new music of hers in it, so she might actually be leaning more towards that.

I'd never looked up guitar tabs for any Van Halen songs because I figured they'd be too difficult. Doing it now. Yup. I was right. Eddie had some crazy riffs. Shit.

Also feeling the sudden urge to buy a pager.

The first six tracks on Van Halen's debut are a knockout. That would be one of the all-time great EPs. And I enjoy 1984 pretty well.

Curious if there any good Roth albums I missed.

The first six tracks on Van Halen's debut are a knockout. That would be one of the all-time great EPs. And I enjoy 1984 pretty well.

Curious if there any good Roth albums I missed.

Fair Warning and Women and Children First between them have some of the best VH tracks of all time. Neither is a complete great album but each has like 3 classics and a few other good tracks. Each also has a couple of clunkers.

On the other side of the coin, I've just found that the main riffs to both Back In Black and Highway To Hell are really easy to play.

Australia > America

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom