Random Music Talk LXXXVI: SCUBA Is Reporting for Duty

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I saw Beck, and he didn't play Golden Age, I'd probably start crying.

When I saw him in 2006, he was in a Sea Change kind of mood. We got Golden Age, Paper Tiger, Lost Cause and End of the Day :drool:

But yes, he was depressed. Very, very depressed.

Well, I think he recovered. He didn't look/sound sad at all, and was rather frisky. The Billy Jean cover was very enthusiastic. Also very self-deprecating about The Song Reader.

It's cool that he's working on some new stuff - apparently two studio albums. I sort of like the second single:

[youtube]cLIBuuJnQHg[/youtube]

Alright, credit where it's due for that Mumford & Sons clip. Lost my shit near the start where Jason Bateman is walking along with two banjos, a guitar and a tambourine around his neck :laugh:

If I saw Beck, and he didn't play Golden Age, I'd probably start crying.

Nothing makes you feel less secure than looking at job postings where you actually fill the responsibilities that are listed, but the title sounds so fancy and intimidating that you assume whom ever reviews your resume will just toss it in the trash as they laugh. Oh wellz, at least I'm finding things I can apply for.

While we're on the topic of resumes... how assertive are you guys in them? I've never needed a resume because literally every job I've ever had has fallen into my lap, but when I applied for the job I got rejected for I had to make one, so I used Dad's template, which has got a lot of assertive, borderline arrogant stuff in it. Dad calls it "selling yourself" but I ended up writing a lot of things that were a big embellishment of the truth.

He looked it over before I sent it off and changed "If you wish to organise an interview contact me on the number above or email" to "To arrange an interview contact me on the number above". And cut off the referees, putting "references available on request" in its place.

I've never written a résumé because I've never applied for a job that required any previous experience in anything while I was in school, and the last job I applied for (again, no experience necessary, just photocopies of my certifications and not to come off like too much of a shithead in the interview) is what I've been doing for almost 7 years now.

The day I have to write a resume, I'm screwed.

The worst part, for me, about applying for a job, is the Cover Letter. I feel like my resume is pretty good, but I always go into a cold sweat writing the damn cover letter.

Me too. I've had the same cushy government job for 16 years

Are you in the same department as SCUBA?

Martha begins with an "M"...

movies_skyfall_update_8.jpg

:hmm:

Alright, credit where it's due for that Mumford & Sons clip. Lost my shit near the start where Jason Bateman is walking along with two banjos, a guitar and a tambourine around his neck :laugh:

While we're on the topic of resumes... how assertive are you guys in them? I've never needed a resume because literally every job I've ever had has fallen into my lap, but when I applied for the job I got rejected for I had to make one, so I used Dad's template, which has got a lot of assertive, borderline arrogant stuff in it. Dad calls it "selling yourself" but I ended up writing a lot of things that were a big embellishment of the truth.

He looked it over before I sent it off and changed "If you wish to organise an interview contact me on the number above or email" to "To arrange an interview contact me on the number above". And cut off the referees, putting "references available on request" in its place.

Speaking as someone who has done a lot of hiring over the past 15 years or so, I can tell you that I'm personally turned off by a resume that's more marketing device than informational document, especially when I'm hiring someone at an entry level or slightly above position. But that's just me. Others might find that admirable. I always feel like embellishment will come back to haunt you somewhere along the line, so I don't like it when I see it and the rare times I've needed to but my resume or bio together, I've avoided it completely.

The best advice I can give you re: a cover letter or resume or interview is to present yourself in the way that makes you most comfortable....if you feel like you can live up to the image you advertise when you "sell yourself" then maybe it's worth it. But, if not, don't make yourself uncomfortable when you most need to be sure of yourself.

There is no right or wrong here.

Speaking as someone who has done a lot of hiring over the past 15 years or so, I can tell you that I'm personally turned off by a resume that's more marketing device than informational document, especially when I'm hiring someone at an entry level or slightly above position. But that's just me. Others might find that admirable. I always feel like embellishment will come back to haunt you somewhere along the line, so I don't like it when I see it and the rare times I've needed to but my resume or bio together, I've avoided it completely.

The best advice I can give you re: a cover letter or resume or interview is to present yourself in the way that makes you most comfortable....if you feel like you can live up to the image you advertise when you "sell yourself" then maybe it's worth it. But, if not, don't make yourself uncomfortable when you most need to be sure of yourself.

There is no right or wrong here.

Thanks. Good advice, I think. There were a few things on there that I didn't feel I could live up to.

Have some confidence in yourself, man. You've totally had enough animal onesie experience to be the mascot for the company softball team.

I believe they post as attachments, but that doesn't look like an attachment. That'd be a nice loophole for non-premiums.

Thank you for letting me know I'm not crazy about you being a teacher, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom