Random Music Talk LXXXIX: This, That, and The Other Place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm intrigued.

So there was this girl. We went to the same schools from 3rd grade through the end of high school. She was my unobtanium. Anyway, when I was in 9th grade and a heavy, shy, nerdy mess, I decided stupidly that I was going to leave her an anonymous note. There was a particular spot she stood with her frinds in between class every day near the end of the day. So I write this note. Put it in an envelope. Address it to her with the subtitle "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL AFTER SCHOOL". Then when there are only 15 minutes left of the class before she's going to be in the spot I know she'll be, I use the restroom and make a detour to tape this envelope up. I hurried out of class very quickly to get to the spot to see if I could watch her take it, but it was already gone and she was just getting there. So I thought, "Well, some teacher probably thought it was garbage and threw it out." And I breathed a sigh of relief. Because, unobtanium. Anyway, fast forward 15 years. We're friends on facebook. We follow each other on Instagram. So today, she posts a picture of the front of the envelope with my handwriting on it hashtagged "don'topenuntilafterschool" and says "I still have no idea who wrote this. Fine, I won't open it til after school." My face turned bright red. Well I asked it about it. Apparently a mutual friend of ours saw it, thought she'd dropped it, and picked it up and gave it to her later. She never knew I was the one who wrote it. Hoping against hope she hadn't opened the letter, I messaged her and told her it was me and please don't embarrass me by opening it. Well, she already had. My face is still bright red two hours later. Because, unobtanium. Anyway, if you go see the movie Laggies that comes out early (?) next year, she's in it.

So there was this girl. We went to the same schools from 3rd grade through the end of high school. She was my unobtanium. Anyway, when I was in 9th grade and a heavy, shy, nerdy mess, I decided stupidly that I was going to leave her an anonymous note. There was a particular spot she stood with her frinds in between class every day near the end of the day. So I write this note. Put it in an envelope. Address it to her with the subtitle "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL AFTER SCHOOL". Then when there are only 15 minutes left of the class before she's going to be in the spot I know she'll be, I use the restroom and make a detour to tape this envelope up. I hurried out of class very quickly to get to the spot to see if I could watch her take it, but it was already gone and she was just getting there. So I thought, "Well, some teacher probably thought it was garbage and threw it out." And I breathed a sigh of relief. Because, unobtanium. Anyway, fast forward 15 years. We're friends on facebook. We follow each other on Instagram. So today, she posts a picture of the front of the envelope with my handwriting on it hashtagged "don'topenuntilafterschool" and says "I still have no idea who wrote this. Fine, I won't open it til after school." My face turned bright red. Well I asked it about it. Apparently a mutual friend of ours saw it, thought she'd dropped it, and picked it up and gave it to her later. She never knew I was the one who wrote it. Hoping against hope she hadn't opened the letter, I messaged her and told her it was me and please don't embarrass me by opening it. Well, she already had. My face is still bright red two hours later. Because, unobtanium. Anyway, if you go see the movie Laggies that comes out early (?) next year, she's in it.

What did you write in the note?

Also, why didn't you ask if she opened it BEFORE admitting it was you?

What did you write in the note?

Also, why didn't you ask if she opened it BEFORE admitting it was you?

I don't remember exactly what I wrote. Knowing myself at that age it was probably some horribly cheesy declaration of undying love and asking her to meet me somewhere so I could reveal myself.

I was too shocked and out of my mind to even think to do things that way.

Oh, just the literal version of unobtainable. Basically, ridiculously, hopelessly, stupidly out of my league.

I was thinking maybe it was a metal from that last couple rows of the periodic table my basic chemistry classes always avoided.

I don't remember exactly what I wrote. Knowing myself at that age it was probably some horribly cheesy declaration of undying love and asking her to meet me somewhere so I could reveal myself.

I was too shocked and out of my mind to even think to do things that way.

I think I figured out who it is, thanks to your Laggies hint.

That's a good story... But why would she not open it for 15 years? Am I not following? And why out of the blue post it on Instagram?

So what did she think of your message? She probably just had a laugh.

I did plenty of stupid things like that. Once when I was about 16 I went to the bakery my crush was working at and wrote out "will you go out with me" in a text message and showed it to her when she was behind the counter. A mutual friend told me that was a good idea. It didn't work out.

greasy-ribisi.jpg

That's a good story... But why would she not open it for 15 years? Am I not following? And why out of the blue post it on Instagram?

I did plenty of stupid things like that. Once when I was about 16 I went to the bakery my crush was working at and wrote out "will you go out with me" in a text message and showed it to her when she was behind the counter. A mutual friend told me that was a good idea. It didn't work out.

Should've challenged her to a game of knifey spoony. To sweeten the deal a bit, you could've promised to kiss a chazwozzer if you lost

I doubt she actually kept it the whole time without opening it. She probably read it the day she received it, but kept the letter because it was a cute sentiment from a secret admirer.

Your friend is an idiot.

Yeah, one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Nick is an animal onstage, just full of magnetic, manic energy.

Back
Top Bottom