Random Music Talk LXXXIX: This, That, and The Other Place

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has Lucius been mentioned around here? The local indie station has been playing them quite a bit. They just released their first album a week ago, here's Amazon's blurb:

Lucius is a triple-threat of vocal harmonies, infectious hooks, and dance-inducing percussion. Pair those traits with the band’s irresistible live show and it’s easy to see why NPR Music calls Lucius "a fabulous band playing such infectious pop songs” and Paste hails the group as "blissful.” Charismatic co-founders and lead vocalists Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig sing in unison – two voices as one – uniquely delivering songs with stories told from the same perspective. Multi-instrumentalists Andrew Burri, Peter Lalish, and Dan Molad round out the stylish, Brooklyn-based quintet. Lucius release their debut album Wildewoman, October 15 in North America on Mom+Pop.

I haven't listened to the entire album, but I really like these two songs (Turn It Around especially). They seem like they might be up some of youz guyz'z alleys as well (not IWB and Martha).

Lucius - Turn It Around (official stream) - YouTube

Lucius - Tempest (official stream) - YouTube

:angry:

If it's an alt, my money would be on Crashed Car Driver, mainly because he disappeared right as Schloop began posting, and also because they both have a penchant for posting a bevy of random songs with little explanation.

No way in hell that's the same guy.

Yeah, lots of people post videos without no explanation. And the CCD guy still posts here and there. Seems quite a different bloke altogether.

That's awful. RIP. Time to listen to both VU and his solo stuff.

Damn, sad news about Reed. And still the lead story on Google News is about Chris fucking Brown. That's sad commentary on the state of the music industry.

Definitely Street Hassle. The title track is probably his best solo song.

I might like solo Lou more than VU. But, it's like choosing between favorite children.

Can't wrap my head around the idea that he's gone.

New York is also great, yeah. Song-wise maybe even more consistent than Street Hassle, although SH is essential for the title track. I Wanna Be Black sums Lou up in three minutes. The man simply didn't give a fuck.

Her album (mix of her two latest EPs) is quite good. I didn't even know the Argus was open.

The Argus was used for Melbourne Music Week last year. It was pretty awesome; I saw a bunch of gigs there. Been closed ever since though; a heap of scaffolding has gone up around it lately but I've no idea what's being done to the place.

If you look at the way they both write, with those annoying staccato sentences separated by one empty row, the similarities are uncanny.

Yeah, that's what's really got me, and a lot of the random rock bands Schloopy mentions are those I recall Brau mentioning too. I've been starting to think it might be coincidence though, given Schloopy doesn't ever refer to some of the music that seemed most important to Brau. Unless Brau's returned simply to troll, which wouldn't be that surprising really.

1) no way that's CCD, that dude doesn't possess the ability to interact with other posters, never mind do so with the obnoxiousness of Schloop. Still not sold it's brau, but it's a better guess than ccd.

2) technically, my biggest surprise regarding Lou Reed's death is that it was this long in coming. Yet I think the fact that he wasn't dead yet makes it more surprising. I know what I'm going to listen to at wok tonight, though. It sure as shit isn't lulu.

3) I can't remember what 3 was. Something about how I haven't heard the new Russian circles or AFI yet and :grumpy: I'm not sure.

I had managed to avoid knowing what that was until 2 days ago. I have no idea why it's so popular

It cracks me up.

I also appreciate the fact that the song was a total joke/parody that somehow got that blown up.

Real talk.

As to why Waits decided to make his live return at the Bridge School Benefit, he said in an issued statement, “I had every good intention to stay home and work on my JD Salinger Halloween mask, but when Neil told me yesterday he was serving burnt cow’s eyes on a flat tire and it’s all gluten free, I invited myself!”

Love this dude.

I've always wanted to be in The Guardian.

I got to be in The Guardian once. An online acquaintance of mine used to work there, and after the Seattle earthquake in 2002, she asked me for a quote for a story. Yay, me.

Back
Top Bottom