Random Music talk LXXXIV: More weeks at #1 than Elvis & The Beatles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnificent is a great example of how over the top people got. Many were claiming it was a classic before even finishing it. The backlash was just as bad. Really, it's just a nice song.

Well-observed. The only thing wrong with the song are the lyrics, which are Generic 2000s Bono. A shame as it's on an album where his writing showed a lot of improvement w/r/t writing in character instead of platitudes and bromides.

At least on Boots he was having fun with that type of writing and had some unique imagery. Stand Up Comedy and Crazy Tonight fail to be interesting on both a musical and lyrical level, and that's why they still suck four years later.

Stand Up Comedy has to be the worst song they've ever done right? I'm having trouble coming up with anything worse.

What is up with THAT?

tumblr_lkxmyfqSS11qa3nkxo1_500.gif

I guess I am higher on Magnificent than most around here. The lead riff and chorus are both huge, though I agree that the solo is uninspired at best.

iron yuppie said:
I guess I am higher on Magnificent than most around here. The lead riff and chorus are both huge, though I agree that the solo is uninspired at best.

I'm with you. Still love Magnificent

Stand Up Comedy has to be the worst song they've ever done right? I'm having trouble coming up with anything worse.

Me neither

Red Light?
The Refugee?
Yahweh?
Get On Your Boots?

I would probably put something like Wild Honey behind Stand Up Comedy, but it's right up there.

I like all of these, and Wild Honey.

My vote is for Big Girls Are Best.

Probably A Man And A Woman for me.

Sorry, but only one song has the immortally awful line "Come all ye people!"

I've never heard stand up comedy, the suggestion that it's worse than the boots song makes me avoid it. Magnificent is boring as hell, but if I don't go crazy is like cobl 2.0, and for some reason I don't despise it. I can't point to anything about it that I actually like, but I can't find anything about it that truly makes me want to impale my ear drums with sharpened chopsticks, either.

Big girls are best is pretty bad, but it's so easily ignored in its place as a random b-side I'm sure only a small percentage of people have heard compared to bad album tracks.

For me the only unlistenable thing I have ever heard from U2 is Elvis Presley & America. That thing is experimentation run terribly and incomprehensibly amok.

f I don't go crazy is like cobl 2.0, and for some reason I don't despise it. I can't point to anything about it that I actually like, but I can't find anything about it that truly makes me want to impale my ear drums with sharpened chopsticks, either.

Bono wheezing "haven't hearrrrd" like he just got punched in the balls is likely the most cringe-inducing moment in U2's entire discography for me. So I can't even listen to the "harmless" parts if it means sitting through this as well. I skip it every time.

I'm with you. Still love Magnificent

Yeah, Magnificent and Fez are pretty much the only 2 tracks that still hold up in any significant way for me. Sadly enough when I try and listen to the album now, Boots is actually preferable to listen to than about 6 other tracks, not because of the lyrics, just the riff and pace. Stuff like White As Snow and Cedars of Lebanon just bore me, and Stand Up Comedy...who knew the Holy Joe riff was so classic that Edge needed to recycle it.

Magnificent was great as an opener at the 2nd Foxboro show, not sure why they didn't employ that switch up more. (alright I know why, but still...)

So I've seen every instance of this sketch I could find just for Lindsey Buckingham...
For me the only unlistenable thing I have ever heard from U2 is Elvis Presley & America. That thing is experimentation run terribly and incomprehensibly amok.

I thought you wrote Elvis Ate America at first and I was nodding along in agreement.

But now I see what you really wrote.

And I hate you.

NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, Fez, Breathe and Cedars of Lebanon are all great songs in my book. The other five I can take or leave.

I would leave Stand Up Comedy in a volcano.

Also, I enjoy that Lindsey got exactly why it was funny:

Buckingham has claimed that he initially didn't understand 'What Up with That', telling QMI: "When I first heard about that, I was perplexed. I took it as a compliment, but my initial reaction was, 'That's kind of obscure'.

"Maybe that's my own self-esteem issues. And maybe the obscurity was why it was good. But they really nailed it - they had my exact outfit from the last tour. It's very funny."

The simple fact that he realizes he is obscure. I wouldn't think most people would think that about themselves, especially being in a band as big as Fleetwood Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom