Random Music talk LXXXIV: More weeks at #1 than Elvis & The Beatles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, Fez, Breathe and Cedars of Lebanon are all great songs in my book. The other five I can take or leave.

I agree with your choices, except I've really liked Unknown Caller after seeing it live. Didn't care for it much before the tour though.

Bono apparently going for the Win Butler hair look:

Photo by toilethackers • Instagram

I still say it's the Dillinger Special

tWVK5DE.png

john-dillinger-1-sized.jpg

I guess I am higher on Magnificent than most around here. The lead riff and chorus are both huge, though I agree that the solo is uninspired at best.

What made Magnificent work for me was seeing it used in a really dramatic, goose-bump inducing World Cup commercial. Guess that says something about how much I love soccer. I've loved the song a lot ever since.

Also agreeing with mofo on Unknown Caller. Seeing that song live completely changed it for me. I love it.

A message for JT:

Volcano trip tomorrow!

There was no way I was paying for one of their albums, and I couldn't find one used before I left Phoenix, but...I subscribe to Rolling Stone and brought a couple of issues to read on the plane. Sure enough, there's a picture of you know who in there. I cut out the photo and it's in my purse, ready to go to Arenal in the morning.

I think Bono should start wearing a beanie and Edge should have whatever's left of his hair become long and flowing.

There was no way I was paying for one of their albums, and I couldn't find one used before I left Phoenix, but...I subscribe to Rolling Stone and brought a couple of issues to read on the plane. Sure enough, there's a picture of you know who in there. I cut out the photo and it's in my purse, ready to go to Arenal in the morning.

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

Make sure to stand back from the ensuing blast.

And pics!

Bono wheezing "haven't hearrrrd" like he just got punched in the balls is likely the most cringe-inducing moment in U2's entire discography for me. So I can't even listen to the "harmless" parts if it means sitting through this as well. I skip it every time.

I don't remember that part. Might also have something to do with the fact that I based my previous opinion off having heard the song maybe twice (and not too recently). If I was to listen to it now, I might have no idea what I was even talking about.

I will say I listened to breathe a bunch of times when it turned up on an iyup di list, even if some of the lyrics were on the cheesy side, I would consider it a decent song. Unfortunately, it's only decent out of context, if I pretend it's some random band i don't know much about, it's pretty good. But when I consider other, good U2, it's not that awesome at all. Always a bummer to come to that conclusion when a band puts out an album, probably worse than if they'd just put out straight up dreadful songs.

You know, I'm looking forward to that one as well. Good call.

Fresh and Furious will be like the "Zoo Station" of this album, except oddly placed toward the end of the album instead of in the leadoff spot. Kind of a new "I'm ready for what's next" treatise.

"Black Pictures", though. Hot damn. That one's gonna be a scorcher. Not really keen on hearing "World Press II" (World Press I is surely better and more loose and energetic), but the album still gets me hard.

Roll on Manhattan.

I guarantee all the EYKIW ladies go wild over this, but his hair is a fucking trainwreck and he looks like a dipshit.

I hate that haircut, but he looks nice in that picture.

And that's all I have to say about U2 today. I am blissfully staying out of everything else. (For now.)

Getting close to exploding again over in EYKIW. I just can't coexist (no pun intended) with all these sheltered people, socially inept, obsessive Mouseketeer types, always positive, no/terrible sense of humor etc. The next person who types "confirmed rumor", "maybe, we'll see"; "Edge on fire", "punk rock from Venus" trying to be funny should have their fucking fingers broken.

We may need to resurrect the Shuttlecock thread once the album info starts picking up. I'd prefer to discuss it with just the people I give a shit about here.

Someone that gvox and Headache both know and vouch for met with Bono and heard new material, gave it a very positive review.

So they're likely close to the finish line.

No conformation/debunking of that bullshit tracklisting tho.

That EYKIW thread has been bloody hilarious, but I don't think there is even a shred of legitimacy to anything being tossed around in there. You'll forgive me for being skeptical of a third or fourth-hand report of a private listening party that one of Headache's Facebook friends supposedly had. I'd be more trusting of a measured or critical response to the new stuff rather than the obligatory "it's awesome and a bold new direction" bollocks.

I'm not surprised by NYC area people hearing samples if they have U2 connections, but it doesn't make me think they're definitely finishing up. I doubt U2 is hosting people to listen to 11 tracks. They're probably hearing just a couple pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom