Random Music Talk LXXXI: Now with special V.I.P.-level option ($450)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, from what I can remember of the Shins from that Zack Braff/Natalie Portman movie, they may not be a good example to bring up.

Bah, I love that song. And I enjoyed the movie, but it might have had more to do with "new slang" and "the only living boy in ny" than the actual movie itself.

I liked the first two shins albums a lot, but haven't listened to either in their entirety in years. Only bothered with port of morrow once, and even though I bought wincing the night away when it came out I don't think I ever listened to it.

Bah, I love that song. And I enjoyed the movie,

You should give him some money through his Kickstarter campaign so he can make another movie and not give you any return on your investment or use any of his own millions of dollars and then when it comes out, you can pay to see it

You should give him some money through his Kickstarter campaign so he can make another movie and not give you any return on your investment or use any of his own millions of dollars and then when it comes out, you can pay to see it

Did you read the back and forth he and Tim Heidecker had on Twitter last week? I was pretty bummed that Tim backed down so quickly when Zach gave him such a little pit party.

Tim, in general, was feisty on Twitter last week.

So, speaking of War on Drugs, I just listened to the new Kurt Vile album...

I really love this music so much, but I just can not stand vocals like this. I'm sure most would find that strange being a Tom Petty/Bob Dylan fan, but I just can't take how lazy both the guy from War on Drugs and Kurt Vile sound (they're no longer the same person, right? Kurt Vile was just in the band once upon a time?)

So, to summarize, Phoenix, Flaming Lips, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs all put out new albums recently and they're all pretty fucking boring and underwhelming.

I actually didn't think the Yeah Yeah Yeah's album was all that bad, pretty much par for the course consistency wise for their albums. Always was the only track I actively disliked. Haven't heard the Flaming Lips album, but will. I've yet to hear a single song from it on the local indie station, and they played the crap out of the last few albums. I guess the music doesn't really fit for the radio this time.

I don't like Phoenix anywhere near as much as everyone else seems to, so I'll probably pass on that one.

The Knife's album is the only thing I can think of recently I've been somewhat disappointed in, and it still has 5 or 6 tracks I love. Just not as enjoyable to listen to start to finish as any of their previous albums have been, which supposedly was the point. Being "difficult" is a pretty lame theme / concept for an album.

bono_212 said:
Did you read the back and forth he and Tim Heidecker had on Twitter last week? I was pretty bummed that Tim backed down so quickly when Zach gave him such a little pit party.

Tim, in general, was feisty on Twitter last week.

I didn't, but I saw Tim's page of script. I'll have to look for the rest

Hey Cobbo, what did your man Andre Over 9000 do to that Amy Winehouse song??? What a pile of manure

I actually didn't think the Yeah Yeah Yeah's album was all that bad, pretty much par for the course consistency wise for their albums. Always was the only track I actively disliked. Haven't heard the Flaming Lips album, but will. I've yet to hear a single song from it on the local indie station, and they played the crap out of the last few albums. I guess the music doesn't really fit for the radio this time.

I don't like Phoenix anywhere near as much as everyone else seems to, so I'll probably pass on that one.

The Knife's album is the only thing I can think of recently I've been somewhat disappointed in, and it still has 5 or 6 tracks I love. Just not as enjoyable to listen to start to finish as any of their previous albums have been, which supposedly was the point. Being "difficult" is a pretty lame theme / concept for an album.

Yeah, I'm not sure that I find the YYY's album disappointing, just not as good as their last one, which to me is one of my favorite albums ever, so I really didn't expect replication.

Phoenix's album is the big disappointment for me this year. That title track really just is an abomination in my book. And there's no other track that stands out to me, save for the "Turning Japanese" lead single and one of those songs near the end that was actually pretty good.

I don't know anything by the Knife, and from what I'm hearing, this is definitely not the album to start with.

I didn't, but I saw Tim's page of script. I'll have to look for the rest

Yeah, he was pretty much cheering on people who were giving Z.B. crap, and then he wrote that page of script and he got a bunch of backlash and pats on the back. Braff ended up actually commenting on it all hurt, and then they got into a civil exchange and Tim basically apologized.

When I finally get around to this album, I'm going to be disappointed if it's not the craziest shit I've ever heard.

For the record, I think that prize would currently go to Pink Floyd's Ummagumma.

It's not that strange. The first five tracks are actually very, very palatable, if intense. There are just huge periods of nothing/irritation that happen along the way. But it could have been a dope 8 track album that would have been fresh and interesting instead of a pain in the ass.

I'll always love you for Slave Ambient. It's one of my favorite records now.

Yesssssss, I absolutely love that album. What a great find. I'd never heard of them until I read about them here.

But crowdsourcing a movie? really? When you have that much money?

Yeah, I have to say using Kickstarter for that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Ditto the Veronica Mars thing.

I'm glad I listened to Yeah Yeah Yeahs on Spotify so I didn't buy it. Don't like it at all, save for Sacrilege. Their last album was the only one I've really liked, though. I'll have to listen to Phoenix before buying it. I hope my lowered expectations means I won't think it's bad.

Yeah, I have to say using Kickstarter for that really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Ditto the Veronica Mars thing.

For whatever reason, that didn't bother me. I think that may be because it proved that there was a wish for the film to be made at all. It wasn't one person, does that make sense?

No album I have wanted to hear today has been on Grooveshark or streaming in a manner that I can hear it, so I'm really stuck for something to listen to. I was really anxious to hear the new House of Love album, especially.

I'm open to some suggestions, people, because this new Deerhunter album sounds HORRIBLE coming through one speaker.

I'm glad I listened to Yeah Yeah Yeahs on Spotify so I didn't buy it. Don't like it at all, save for Sacrilege. Their last album was the only one I've really liked, though. I'll have to listen to Phoenix before buying it. I hope my lowered expectations means I won't think it's bad.

Jon Bon Jovi sez you should buy albums based on the cover art alone. No pre-listening allowed.

jon7.jpg

Glad it's not just me.

My friends and I have talked a lot about this Phoenix band, whose last album I own, and our verdict is that they're fun sometimes but just not very good. I'm a huge lyrics person, and I find their lyrics completely asinine and nonsensical.

Bankrupt is a bit weaker than Wolfgang was, but it's still one of the best albums of its type that I've heard this year. I'll probably forget about it later in the year because there aren't as many killer singles on this one to bring me back, but I still really dig the album.

I want documentation proving that my money is the only thing separating the film from production. Otherwise I'll support it by paying an obscenely high price to see it in theaters.

Ended up listening to the whole Deerhunter album anyways. Not bad. Though I definitely can't study to that album like the last few. Track 3 is downright catchy.

2191bbed.jpg

June 10 in the UK and June 11 in the U.S.

Tomorrow's Harvest:
01 Gemini
02 Reach for the Dead
03 White Cyclosa
04 Jacquard Causeway
05 Telepath
06 Cold Earth
07 Transmisiones Ferox
08 Sick Times
09 Collapse
10 Palace Posy
11 Split Your Infinites