Random Music Talk LXXXI: Now with special V.I.P.-level option ($450)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, what is this?

Before Interference was a website, this was a mailing list where U2 discussion took place. Conversations were conducted through email. You received a shitload of messages to your inbox every day.

I was even more combative there than I am now.

I'm giving this Youngblood Hawk album a chance, but at first blush it seems they may have just rereleased that Imagine Dragons album under a different name.

Yeah, it's crap. Overproduced, bland indie pop at its worst. Congrats to the major labels for trying to commoditize yet another musical genre and hopelessly fucking it up.

:lol:

I don't even think I know what indie pop is, other than a genre tag I'd slap on something I can't otherwise identify that is boring and bland. Again, using the word indie as a descriptor is incredibly vague and means nothing.

We're always ahead of the game, us Aussies.

For the men and women who have always wanted their alcohol storage unit to double as transport, I give you the Mesky:

19221_464237940336989_1490590830_n.jpg

Do we consider the national indie pop?

Some weird part of my wishes I took the laptop to work tonight, not so I could play video games, but so I could take movie quotes and don't swallow the cap and edit it into a catastrophe that I would then call the streetcar named desire remix.

And yeah, slave ambient is indeed good.

I just saw a video of those cooler scooters a month or so back when I was reading an article on Cracked about infomercials (they didn't show it, I just ended up in one of the Youtube rabbit holes)

Top 10 Worst Infomercial - YouTube
I'll always love you for Slave Ambient. It's one of my favorite records now.

:), that one will always crack me up because I was super excited for the album and then ended up being the only person who didn't like it all that much.

Indie Pop Top 10 According to Rate Your Music

Custom chart - Rate Your Music

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The Smiths - The Smiths
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Elliot Smith - XO
The Smiths - Strangeways
Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk
The Go-Betweens - 16 Loves Lane
The Smiths - Meat Is Murder

Indie Pop is apparently a fairly one-note genre.

Are you saying that there's indie pop somewhere that isn't bland?

The first few Shins albums.

You can hear what happened to indie pop in general by listening to Port of Morrow. Not that I would actually recommend doing that.

Indie Pop Top 10 According to Rate Your Music

Custom chart - Rate Your Music

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois
The Smiths - The Smiths
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Elliot Smith - XO
The Smiths - Strangeways
Belle & Sebastian - Tigermilk
The Go-Betweens - 16 Loves Lane
The Smiths - Meat Is Murder

Indie Pop is apparently a fairly one-note genre.

Invented by the smiths, apparently.

on a completely different note, having been bored enough to read some movie-related and fym threads recently, might pearl be one of the more consistently clueless about the world outside her own head posters that active lately? Hers (or I assume it's female, since it's about as non-masculine a username as anything-girl) is a much more subtle version than some of the real champions of ignorance this place has known, but every time I read her posts, I seriously wonder.

Digging through some stuff on my iPod I haven't listened to in years.

Feel like I could listen to 1000 songs like this, guys.

http://youtu.be/7B6Cf9k3fJE

Fortunately, I have easily several times that many songs like it.

Scratch that thousand songs, I could listen to the first roger miret and the disasters album all night. Not a bad song on that thing.

Apparently this roger miret album is about that old as well. Milestone anniversary of the first agnostic front albums didn't give me that weird time passage sense, even though they were obviously Miret's far more well-known and influential band, they came out the same year I was born and I didn't so much as hear of them til I was 15 or so. But I played the shit out of the first disasters album when it came out, and I am entirely unable to picture 2002 as over a decade ago. Probably haven't listened to it in four or five years, but rest assured I still know all the words to all the songs.

Consider yourself spared a barrage of YouTube links, since there are apparently no songs from this album on there (other than some crappy live phone recorded things).

Very excited about that record. It'll be nice to have a Neon Neon record that isn't tainted by really bad, misguided hip-hop.

My friends, I've been living downstate in an effort to get a band together with some friends. And I'm in a band now and we played our first gig a couple weeks ago and we're gonna try to play rock n roll as long as we can. I'm pretty excited. I'll maybe post a youtube video or two of us doing some songs, if they sound ok. I love you all and wish us luck with this stupid shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom