Random Music Talk LXXXI: Now with special V.I.P.-level option ($450)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, Foals was my favorite album of the year all year up until two weeks ago when I heard Charli XCX, just saying.

But, seriously, that Foals album :drool:

How is all that going, if you don't mind my asking?

Nothing to report on the "substances banned by the LDS church" front, still sort weird to get over in my head. I actually was super close to getting some beer at the grocery store a few weeks ago, just do try it low key at home without any pressure. On cue, some guy I didn't initially recognize walks up to and is like "Hey, how's it going!!!!!!!!". It was the bishop from the LDS ward I attended while I was a student at BYU. Worst coincidence ever, totally blew all my courage out the window in that regard. Every time I go to the store now, I'm terrified I'll have something in the cart and run into relatives or family friends or something.

I still haven't "come out" to my family as no longer believing / practicing (though I quite certain they assume), and it made things super weird with my dad's recent heath problems, as my family got even "churchier" than they normally are. I've quit wearing the famous "Mormon underwear" the last few months, and wussed out in a few situations while at home and pulled them back out again to wear so it wouldn't become more drama in an already emotional family situation.

There's just so much of Mormonism engrained in everything culturally in Utah, let alone my family, that it still can make for some really weird situations and emotions. I have a couple close friends who are in the exact same boat, so that's cool, but you can still feel pretty alone and out of place.

Anyways.

Drama-Queen_20728-l.jpg

That's not "drama." That's a real-life struggle. I know first-hand: my girlfriend was raised in a strict Mormon household and still feels the ramifications some fifteen years on.

Nothing to report on the "substances banned by the LDS church" front, still sort weird to get over in my head. I actually was super close to getting some beer at the grocery store a few weeks ago, just do try it low key at home without any pressure. On cue, some guy I didn't initially recognize walks up to and is like "Hey, how's it going!!!!!!!!". It was the bishop from the LDS ward I attended while I was a student at BYU. Worst coincidence ever, totally blew all my courage out the window in that regard. Every time I go to the store now, I'm terrified I'll have something in the cart and run into relatives or family friends or something.

I still haven't "come out" to my family as no longer believing / practicing (though I quite certain they assume), and it made things super weird with my dad's recent heath problems, as my family got even "churchier" than they normally are. I've quit wearing the famous "Mormon underwear" the last few months, and wussed out in a few situations while at home and pulled them back out again to wear so it wouldn't become more drama in an already emotional family situation.

There's just so much of Mormonism engrained in everything culturally in Utah, let alone my family, that it still can make for some really weird situations and emotions. I have a couple close friends who are in the exact same boat, so that's cool, but you can still feel pretty alone and out of place.

Anyways.

That's not drama, that's sharing some very real issues/struggles with your other, non Mormon and highly dysfunctional digital family. I hope an opportunity presents itself for you to tell your family.

Anyways.

I'm sure its difficult but you just have to be true to how you feel and what you believe in and not be so concerned with what others think.
Obviously a lot more difficult when family is involved.

But don't let fear of someone in the store seeing you prevent you from buying beer, coffee or those Spiderman Underoos you've been wanting to romp around the house in.

Anyways.

Cool, thanks for sharing. Hope things get better with your family. It's interesting to read because such devout religiosity is such a foreign concept to me.

I hope you get to try beer at some point too!

Does your family conduct random underwear inspections? How would they know?

Shirts are involved as well. Not something I ever look for, but lots of people seem to notice. They're tokens of covenants made at the temple (which is the holy of holy for Mormons), so it's a big deal if you stop wearing them. In some ways a much bigger deal than drinking alcohol, coffee, smoking, drugs, etc., so it's ironic I still have a mental hangup in that regard.

That is amazing.

Here are my fav albums of the year so far:

Atoms For Peace
DJ Koze
Kurt Vile
Autre Ne Veut
Foxygen
The Thermals
MBV
Low

As for my favourite albums of the year so far, in no particular order:

Bonobo
Justin Timberlake
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Atoms for Peace

I'm glad to see so many people are enjoying Atoms for Peace. It got reasonably lukewarm reviews, but I love it.

Shirts are involved as well. Not something I ever look for, but lots of people seem to notice. They're tokens of covenants made at the temple (which is the holy of holy for Mormons), so it's a big deal if you stop wearing them. In some ways a much bigger deal than drinking alcohol, coffee, smoking, drugs, etc., so it's ironic I still have a mental hangup in that regard.

I remember when I was in Salt Lake City, it must have been 100 degrees and the women were still wearing full t-shirts under their dresses. I would imagine that was to conceal the undergarments.

NSW, of you haven't heard Autre Ne Veut's Anxiety, I'd strongly recommend it. Probably
my favorite of the year.

Maybe check Play by Play - it's a great song, and you will find out if you're into that style.

http://youtu.be/LFiupWwIZMY

I love music this year, guys.

If I were to post all of the albums I've given an 8/10 to this year, I'd be giving you my top 17 out of about 45 albums.

I'll give you my top 10:

1. Charli XCX - True Romance
2. Foals - Holy Fire
3. My Bloody Valentine - M B V
4. Frightened Rabbit - Pedestrian Verse
5. Yo La Tengo - Fade
6. David Bowie - The Next Day
7. Shout Out Louds - Optica
8. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Push The Sky Away
9. Neon Neon - Praxis Makes Perfect
10. Toro y Moi - Anything in Return

NSW, of you haven't heard Autre Ne Veut's Anxiety, I'd strongly recommend it. Probably
my favorite of the year.

Maybe check Play by Play - it's a great song, and you will find out if you're into that style.

Autre Ne Veut - Play By Play [Official Single] - YouTube

I'm sorry, what? That's...not "Gonna Die"...

But seriously, thanks for showing me that Autre Ne Veut is missing from my "I have Heard" list for some reason.

Play By Play, Counting, and Gonna Die are all extremely good. Definitely among my most listened to songs so far this year.

I'm sorry, what? That's...not "Gonna Die"...

But seriously, thanks for showing me that Autre Ne Veut is missing from my "I have Heard" list for some reason.

Oh, Gonna Die is fantastic as well. But the build up in Play by Play is just so good. And it's perhaps a bit more inviting for the rest of the album?

I have yet to decide which of Play by Play or James Blake's Voyeur is my favorite song of the year so far.

Albums I love so far this year:

Atoms for Peace - AMOK
The Neighbourhood - I Love You.
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Push the Sky Away

Albums I can't wait to love:

Sigur Rós - Kveikur
Jimmy Eat World - Damage
The National - Trouble Will Find Me
Har Mar Superstar - Bye Bye 17
Armin Van Buuren - Intense
30 Seconds to Mars - Love, Lust, Faith + Dreams
Stereophonics - Graffiti on the Train

J. Blake is probably my favorite so far, with apologies to Autre and Timberlake. Vile and Rhye up there too.

Only a matter of weeks until the Nash and the Robots destroy them, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom