Random Music Talk LXXX: Sordid Details of the GAF-Mark Buehrle Affair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but NSW mentioned NASCAR, and Marcus Ambrose, an Australian, races in that. Do you like him, NSW?

I think it's different where you come from

aunty-entity-tina-turner-in-action.jpg

I'm guessing that's because you're Australian and Webber is as well? :wink: Though I have to admit that Vettel was an asshole during that last race.

Did you see them on camera after the race? Like two little kids who had an argument during tag but wouldn't say anything because their teacher was watching.

F1 and NASCAR are equally boring to me, for me. The only reason I can slightly stomach F1 is that I like the global aspect of the sport, enjoy some of the venues and some good friends of mine televise the sport in 2 different countries and I admire their passion for it.

I tuned into NASCAR today for professional reasons, just for a few minutes at a time. You couldn't pay me to actually watch a whole race, NASCAR, F1 or otherwise...

Had a pretty cool dream last night. I was at a tiny bar and David Bowie came out to play a few of his songs on piano. Iggy Pop and Nick Cave were there.

I'm guessing that's because you're Australian and Webber is as well? :wink: Though I have to admit that Vettel was an asshole during that last race.

Did you see them on camera after the race? Like two little kids who had an argument during tag but wouldn't say anything because their teacher was watching.

Haha, pretty much. But apparently Webber did the same thing to Vettel at Silverstone a few years ago.

I did watch that, loved Webber's comment about Vettel getting protection.

I had no idea you were a fan! I was in a corporate suite above the pits for the Aussie GP. Was awesome, we could lean over and watch them do pit stops. Who you tipping for the championship?

They're the two best shows on TV, I adore both, but Mad Men actually shits on Breaking Bad.

Go with Mad Men. Please. It's so beautiful.

Yeah, go with mad men. It's excellent, although I am of the wildly unpopular opinion that tweaking bad was amazing for the first two seasons and then got far less awesome.

And the baseball reference is easy enough that even I get it.

Yeah, go with mad men. It's excellent, although I am of the wildly unpopular opinion that tweaking bad was amazing for the first two seasons and then got far less awesome.

Really? How come? As ridiculously awesome as the first two seasons are the third, fourth and the half we've seen of five have been insane.

I am still shaking from One Minute, despite it being a year since I watched it.

Really? How come? As ridiculously awesome as the first two seasons are the third, fourth and the half we've seen of five have been insane.

I am still shaking from One Minute, despite it being a year since I watched it.

I thought the characters were a lot more interesting when they were smaller-time, rather bumbling, and discovering that they were quite capable of murder, disposing of bodies, and all the other evils that go along with running a drug business. I'm probably the only person who ever watched the show who didn't think Gus was a great character. I think it had to go in that direction, but Walt as a badass taking on the cartels was boring and predictable--he's going to win every time*, and I've got a lot less invested in seeing his wins come at the cost of his family's safety when his family is so irritating.

*obviously he was going to win vs cancer, small-time criminals, local gangbangers, and the like otherwise there would be no show, I just felt like they conveyed the sense that it could all completely fall apart early on much better than they did later. I only saw as far as season 4's end, though.

I enjoyed the last few seasons, but I totally understand where you're coming from. One could easily look at the whole magnets episode as a major shark-jump.

JT, i don't know if I should just keep bumping the DM thread, but I've changed my opinion on "I feel you." Everything about songs of faith and devotion is awesome.

Amazingly, I heard "I Feel You" on a local rock/alternative radio station today. "Soothe My Soul" as well.

I've been further re-evaluating my attitude toward music featuring synthesizers, as well. Spent some time listening to Speak & Spell last night. The music from the 80s/later music from bands that originated in the 80s have always been something I've avoided mainly because of synthesizers, thus a decade of music I've been considerably less knowledgeable about compared to other time periods minus a few specific carryovers or genres (see 80s hardcore, Springsteen's output from that decade, REM, and not a whole lot more).

Someone, I believe it was Axver, posted somewhere recently making a comment about how the 80s weren't necessarily terrible for music, just particularly unkind to bands/artists from previous decades. And a lot of what I hate about synthesizer 80s pop/rock hits are 1) mainstream pop songs that I'd never like if they were 60s bubble gum pop or current day autotune-laden hip-hop infused pop songs, either, or 2) were recorded by bands that existed prior to the 80s that poorly utilized synths in an irritating manner, complete with that thin, shimmery production and accompanying electronic-sounding echo-y drum beats that so often go hand in hand on bad 80s music. As a 90s kid, I wrote it all off as the same--and something best avoided-- only in more recent years (the last 10 or so) to make exceptions like "well, there's a lot on Tunnel of Love that isn't bad," or "Joe Strummer was responsible for Cut the Crap, but it should never be mentioned when considering the albums released by The Clash." I've learned to overlook that brief and weird period where Tom Waits flirted with synths, and given Pete Townshend a pass because of Baba o'riley.

In regards to bands like the magnetic fields, it's hard to lump a band with cellos and ukuleles in with any contemporary pop music that uses synthesizers. Too much other stuff going on there. And I came at nine inch nails from the wrong generation and angle to really understand the influences on an album like pretty hate machine when I first heard it.

The first song off Speak & Spell, along with the Jam's "a town called malice", may be the closest thing that explains to me how my music taste can transition to appreciate synth pop. Good stuff, anyway. Still want no part of that recent passion pit crap. More so than historically it makes sense to go from late 70s punk rock to joy division, segueing into the smiths, etc. I'm not sure I can explain adequately, especially Alice I'm typing this all on my phone and my thumbs are getting a little cramped, but it's the closest I can come to the reasoning I wasn't quote able to provide as to why I liked that blaq audio album.

So anyway, I've still only listened to two depeche mode albums, and I'm sure they were slightly odd choices, but I'll get around to the rest after I feel like moving on from Songs of Faith and Devotion for more than an album or two. Kind of can't stop listening to it (and I realize when it came out, and how that also sort of negates all that other stuff I just rambled on about. But we're still talking about a band that I've always written off as an 80s synth pop band best to be avoided). The bluesy riff of "I feel you" grew on me, "walking in my shoes" is just fucking awesome, the gospel feel of "condemnation" is great, the haunting feel of "judas", and even if I never listened to anything else from that band is be glad I un-wrote them off for long enough to finally give it a shot.

Not really sure why I'm so interested in finding music that bridges gaps between different bands/songs I like, if that's just the obsessive playlist-making, former college radio dj set-compiling side of me rearing its head. Probably is. It's like the age old "the more you learn, the less you really know". The more music I listen to, I become more acutely aware of the holes in my music collection.

I enjoyed the last few seasons, but I totally understand where you're coming from. One could easily look at the whole magnets episode as a major shark-jump.

Breaking Bad is always on the move. It has grown progressively more absurd, but at least its writers aren't afraid to modify the characters. How often do you see the protagonist and foil switch roles halfway through the series? Jesse Pinkman is one of the best characters on television.

Mad Men is still beautiful, eye-opening television, but it bothers me a little bit that Don Draper hasn't matured a second in 5 years. He's still drinking, still emoting, still offering about half a percent of what's going on underneath the facade. Same reason I got tired of House, honestly. Some people are into that, but I'm much more intrigued by Peggy at this point. The writing for her has always been remarkable.

Sometimes I forget that album even exists. I'm not sure who would have told him about it.

I like "this is England," but absolutely nothing else about it is remotely redeeming.

For any of you guys that frequent the videogame thread and have some interest in Bioshock Infinite: Don't read allbecauseofme's latest post. Fucking unspoilered spoilers.

Diemen, if you're around, can you spoiler tag it? I reported the post to have that done, but I don't know where those reports end up or how long it takes for someone to read them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom