Random Music Talk LXXVIII: Crashing Miley's Toluca Lake Pad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there no plain soy milk?

I gave up "unhealthy" food for lent, and I'm kind of dubious of how healthy something this sweet can possibly be... :uhoh:

oh, no dude. Only drink it because it's delicious. I certainly wouldn't say it's healthy

It got good response to be sure (not surpisingly, School's Out got the best response from all ages), and I like the song, but placement was odd:

Thats the list from that show. Lately he's been using as a main set closer which I think works better thats why I described it as out of place.

That's a great set. Throw Is It My Body and Hello Hooray in there and it's perfect.

Tame Impala doing a show in April... I'll finally get to see them. Had to sell my ticket to their show in December because I'd forgotten I was going away that week.

So,

Guys.

I really don't know what to think.

I put off purchasing tickets to see Stars on March 23rd for about a month or so. Yesterday, for no particular reason, I finally picked them up. I never hesitated about going, I was just being lazy about buying the tickets.

So, I get my weekly e-mail from JamMail (concerts) today and I see that the Stars show sold out. I think to myself, "Wow, that would have really sucked if I'd been just a day later".

Then I scan further down the page.........

.....Guess who rescheduled his Chicago date.........

...for the 23rd of March...

You know what's easy to sell? Morrissey tickets. It's not easy to sell tickets for an Indie show. Now I've dropped about $60 (total) to see Stars on the same night that Morrissey is supposed to be here (third time's the charm?). There's no way I'm going to be able to unload those tickets...

I think I may be getting close to a point of being able to take on Sicy for Morrissey disappointment stories.

If it's sold out, I'm pretty sure there are some potential buyers out there.

EDIT: Yeah, I figure maybe I could put them on Craigslist or something, maybe feel out the Lolla Board, they have a ticket exchange on there.

Fact is, I'm really torn. I love Stars...A Lot. I really want to see Morrissey, but I know and love more music by Stars than I him, but...it's Morrissey. I've seen Stars once before, but it was at a festival.

Umm....

9zti7Gs.jpg

OK, that's...fucking hilarious on its own...but I make that kind of online training (like, that's my job), so it's really fucking killing me.

I've listened to Numb on several occasions. It doesn't have a chorus.

Actually, that one does. "I feel numb/too much is not enough" is a fantastic hook/chorus. Definitely sticks in your head.

Zooropa doesn't though. It has a couple of different ideas, but they don't function in a verse/chorus structure. Fez certainly doesn't. I could go on, but I don't want to leave the Schloop signal on too long.

Actually, that one does. "I feel numb/too much is not enough" is a fantastic hook/chorus. Definitely sticks in your head.

Zooropa doesn't though. It has a couple of different ideas, but they don't function in a verse/chorus structure. Fez certainly doesn't. I could go on, but I don't want to leave the Schloop signal on too long.

I've never really thought of it as a chorus, more just an awesome vocal part in the background and wow this is a horrible/boring thing to argue about.

True. I'm off to stock up on two minute noodles and booze.

The last two U2 albums for me have noticeably lacked a "second gear" around the point where the middle 8/bridge comes in, where I feel like they're often arriving at a predictable time, and they tend not to spin off in an interesting way to have the song finish strong.

Also, I almost literally cannot think off the top of my head that there's any verse/chorus in Streets. I'm sure there is, but as soon as the song starts it's pretty much a ride until the end. It defies any attempt to overthink it.

Where the streets have no name
(Awesome guitar shit)
Where the streets have no name
(Awesome guitar shit)
We're still building then burning down love
Burning down love
And when I go there, I go there with you
It's all I can do

You know who had really obvious choruses? Bruce Springsteen. But that's what made him an American hero. Here are two gems from The River:

"Independence Day"

So say goodbye
It's Independence Day
It's Independence Day
All down the line
Just say goodbye
It's Independence Day
It's Independence Day this time

"Hungry Heart"

Everybody's got a hungry heart
Lay down your money and you play your part

You certainly never question how he came up with his song titles.

Well I meant like discerning the parts as part of an AABA structure or whatnot. The whole thing flows like a thing that's like water going to a larger body of water. Sonic water.

It wasn't Independence Day the first three times, but by the fourth, we can be assured that it is.

Zooropa doesn't though. It has a couple of different ideas, but they don't function in a verse/chorus structure. Fez certainly doesn't.

Sure it does!

chorus:
*Bono screaming*

verse:
6 o clock on the auto route blah blah etc.

chorus:
*Bono screaming*

verse:
lights flash past like........

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom