Random Music Talk LXXV: Party at Pappy's Snatch Palace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah we'll still have to disagree. I think the Smashing Pumpkins-tinged Old To Begin is as good as anything else on the album (which a gorgeous solo), and it's followed by the epic Type Slowly, which also features beautiful instrumental work from the whole band. Embassy Row is a great rocker with witty lyrics, and then you have the laid-back, loungy Blue Hawaiian.

There's an exotic, spacey (middle eastern would be too reductive, I'm guessing) sound on some of these songs (also touches on We Are Underused and Transport Is Arranged) that make this distinctly otherworldly compared to previous works (the lushness is retained but made more homogenous/rootsy on Terror Twilight). Even the smorgasbord of Wowee Zowee doesn't explore these soundscapes.

If one of your favorites is a generic Spiral Stairs rocker (which is fun, but slight compared to what Malkmus is trying), not surprising you're not appreciating the whole thing more. I think Starlings --> Fin is an amazing conclusion to the album (they're probably my two favorites), but I don't think some of the stuff in the middle is that different in terms of their languidness.

I'll keep a lookout for these things. I've run the first three Pavement albums into the ground so I'll likely do the same for the last two in due time.

I really didn't get anything out of Terror Twilight on first listen though. Some very good singles, but overall too chill for Pavement. I love Pavement, and I love Nigel Godrich, but that wasn't a good match IMO.

So the guy from Ice Choir (that's also in Pains of Being Pure at Heart) is doing the soundtrack for an iOS game. I want to hear this more than anything in the world right now, but it's 1) not out and 2) an iOS game and I don't have an iOS device :depressed:

StarLicker

I'll keep a lookout for these things. I've run the first three Pavement albums into the ground so I'll likely do the same for the last two in due time.

I really didn't get anything out of Terror Twilight on first listen though. Some very good singles, but overall too chill for Pavement. I love Pavement, and I love Nigel Godrich, but that wasn't a good match IMO.

TT is certainly mellow, but Cream Of Gold and The Hexx rock something fierce. You Are A Light and Major Leagues are two of their prettier ballads, and Carrot Rope is a lot of fun. And while the, uhh, folky sound of Folk Jam, Platform Blues, and Billie wouldn't be good dominating an album, they're an interesting diversion not common for the band.

Having said that, I was never a huge fan of Spit On A Stranger (it's rather cheesy despite the title), and I can see how Billie, Ann Don't Cry would seem like a bit of a slog.

It's odd, when I look at the list of songs I wonder how I consider it among my favorites, but when I listen to the whole thing it's just very pleasurable to listen to, even if it's not as oblique, playful, or antagonistic as what the band was known for. So I actually like Godrich's work here a lot.

Major Leagues, Spit on a Stranger, and Carrot Rope are 3 of my favorite Pavement songs.

Brighten the Corners is my favorite Pavement album to listen to all the way through.

Crooked Rain is easily the one I've played the most. It took me years to even like Slanted, but it has grown on me and now I'm very fond of it, though probably equally to Brighten the Corners. Wowee Zowee might be my favorite, just because Grounded is one of my favorite songs by anyone, but then again, there's something to say for your most played also being your favorite.

CRCR is just like the least interesting musically? It was their breakthrough album, but it has that big ROCK sound. And not very lo-fi sandwiched btw Slanted and Wowee. It's perhaps the least adventurous of their albums, 5-4 Unity notwithstanding.

With a band like Pavement, the most accessible shouldn't be the best.

In hindsight, Crooked Rain is their "least interesting" album. It also sounds absolutely nothing like the albums surrounding it.

It's like saying Joshua Tree is a safe U2 album because it came to define the band, when in fact they had never made an album that sounds like it before 1987.

There's nothing wrong with writing a bunch of great songs and having fun recording them. That's what I get out of Crooked Rain and that's why I am so fond of it.

d9b8166e-b79c-4ba8-98e8-17e4d20d5cf6.gif

Please tell me that's the same dude with the sunglasses from that Lakers .gif you posted a little while back.

Hithcock's THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH just started on one of my Encore channels. I love Jim Stewart with all my heart, and Hitchcock is the master, and I've somehow yet to see this one.

Bout to sit back, relax, and watch this shit. Somebody order some food for me.

In hindsight, Crooked Rain is their "least interesting" album. It also sounds absolutely nothing like the albums surrounding it.

It's like saying Joshua Tree is a safe U2 album because it came to define the band, when in fact they had never made an album that sounds like it before 1987.

Well this is a little bit of a false equivalence. Nothing sounded like The Joshua Tree from anyone, ever, really. Crooked Rain may not have sounded like Pavement's previous work (all one album and a bunch of singles), but it sounded very retro and "classic", for lack of a better word. Not unfamiliar. Hence: accessible.

There's nothing wrong with writing a bunch of great songs and having fun recording them. That's what I get out of Crooked Rain and that's why I am so fond of it.

No there's nothing wrong with that in theory, but Pavement were about more than just a bunch of good songs. It was the attitude, the cryptic nature of the lyrics and the album art, the frequent practice of imploding/self-destructing their own potential crossover/radio hits.

Having said all that, I love Crooked Rain as I love all their albums. But it sounds the least like the band because it's the most normal sounding. It's like the polar opposite of Wowee Zowee, which for me is definitive while being ramshackle, disjointed, and disorganized

Man, I hear a great deal of the Pavement attitude in there, in those loose threads like 5-4=Unity and Hit the Plane Down. The guitar solo in Cut Your Hail that threatens to go completely atonal but not quite (just about sabotaging a sure-fire hit). Malk's appropriately sloppy/inebriated delivery of Fillmore Jive. Bagging on the Stone Temple Pilots and Smashing Pumpkins. These aren't cryptic moments, but they are utterly charming. They caused me to fall in love with the band anyway.

But yeah, it's a matter of degrees. It's not like you called it a sellout album or something.

Man, I hear a great deal of the Pavement attitude in there, in those loose threads like 5-4=Unity and Hit the Plane Down. The guitar solo in Cut Your Hail that threatens to go completely atonal but not quite (just about sabotaging a sure-fire hit). Malk's appropriately sloppy/inebriated delivery of Fillmore Jive. Bagging on the Stone Temple Pilots and Smashing Pumpkins. These aren't cryptic moments, but they are utterly charming. They caused me to fall in love with the band anyway.

It's all there in Range Life: "Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins, nature kids I/they don't have no function".

I don't get how either you like 5-4=Unity though. I know it's a "cover" of a Dave Brubeck song but I actively hate it.

It was around this time last year that the first Father John Misty single was released. I remember the feeling of being super excited for an album that I hadn't anticipated and it ended up being my favourite of the year. Even though it's early in the year, I'm getting the same vibe from this album

My Dick's Double Full-Length Release | My Dick

It was around this time last year that the first Father John Misty single was released. I remember the feeling of being super excited for an album that I hadn't anticipated and it ended up being my favourite of the year. Even though it's early in the year, I'm getting the same vibe from this album

My Dick's Double Full-Length Release | My Dick

Not bad, but the next DVDA album will blow it out of the water.

Business or pleasure? Where are you going to be?

If you're lecturing on Chinese architecture, I'm there. :wink:

Mainly pleasure - no lecture circuit, sorry. :wink:

We'll be spending a few days each in San Francisco, Redwood Park, Portland, and Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom