Random Music Talk LXXIX: A Tradition Like Many Others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Season 1 of Mad Men is pretty boring. It's OK, watchable stuff, but Jon Hamm and January Jones (who subsequently falls off a bit, peaking with the shotgun scene) are the only reason to care...until season 2, when Elisabeth Moss really takes over and everything begins to click. I remember struggling to get into the show until two or three episodes from the end of season 1, then I fell in love. Last season may have actually been my favorite; probably 3 of its episodes would be in my top 5. Everything in between is great too. Some plots intrigue me less than others, but the direction and acting is usually off the charts.

The only significant things that have happened so far have been Don meeting his long lost brother, Don sleeping around, his wife seeing a psychiatrist, and Alison Brie being an absolute boss over her smarmy husband and looking very good while doing it. I'm hooked by every second.

Season 1 of Mad Men is pretty boring. It's OK, watchable stuff, but John Hamm and January Jones (who subsequently falls off a bit, peaking with the shotgun scene) are the only reason to care...until season 2, when Elisabeth Moss really takes over and everything begins to click. I remember struggling to get into the show until two or three episodes from the end of season 1, then I fell in love. Last season may have actually been my favorite; probably 3 of its episodes would be in my top 5. Everything in between is great too. Some plots intrigue me less than others, but the direction and acting is usually off the charts.

Jon Hamm. Jon. With no "h".

It's not as exciting to watch as Breaking Bad, but the acting and writing are better overall. There's a lot more going on than a morality play.

Mad Men rules. Looking forward to the now annual double bill with Game of Thrones starting in a few weeks. Last year I'd always watch GoT first, enjoy it enough, but pretty much every episode of MM afterwards would make me think 'this is the best show on TV'.

El Mel's right that last season was top notch, the middle episodes especially were brilliant.

Less than 3 weeks to go!

When's Breaking Bad start? I think I'm gonna watch it from season one again to refresh myself. Wish they'd brought out part one of season five on DVD. They did it with The Office even when they were full seasons :angry:

It's the 7/14/13 designation that's stupid.

Why? Why is it stupid? I can understand why people think Fahrenheit and pounds and anything not metric is stupid, but why the date layout?

If I walked up to you and asked you the day, are you more likely to tell me it's the 20th or March?

I see I've heard all but one of Pitchfork's 2013 BNMs. What I've heard from Waxahatchee's album has been great, so I'm looking to hearing that one as I catch up. I've liked more than I've disliked from their picks, but it's hardly a slam dunk. IMO, Long Live A$AP did not deserve an 8.5. Neither did the new Iceage album. At least they didn't BNM Waka Flocka or Lil Wayne.

Yet.

Why? Why is it stupid? I can understand why people think Fahrenheit and pounds and anything not metric is stupid, but why the date layout?

If I walked up to you and asked you the day, are you more likely to tell me it's the 20th or March?

More likely to say the 20th. It's stupid because it should go in increasing order of time span. Many other things go in increasing order, like address for example: house number, street, suburb, state, country.

I see I've heard all but one of Pitchfork's 2013 BNMs. What I've heard from Waxahatchee's album has been great, so I'm looking to hearing that one as I catch up. I've liked more than I've disliked from their picks, but it's hardly a slam dunk. IMO, Long Live A$AP did not deserve an 8.5. Neither did the new Iceage album. At least they didn't BNM Waka Flocka or Lil Wayne.

Yet.

I should take odds on The Strokes getting BNM'd since it's the ONLY album on Pitchfork Advance this week.

EDIT: I'm arguing on your side, I just realized. Back to work and no more posting when I've slept for 4 hours.

When's Breaking Bad start? I think I'm gonna watch it from season one again to refresh myself. Wish they'd brought out part one of season five on DVD. They did it with The Office even when they were full seasons :angry:

Just about to finish season 2 with the wife on her first viewing. Loving it all over again.

5.1 is due to come out soon, before July I believe. It's an annoying scam, but after HBO did it with The Sopranos and Sex and the City it's fair game I guess.

The Office DVD splits baffle me. Especially when Amazon UK offer complete seasons for £5 each.

Haha, I was going to make that joke.

Some people complaining it doesn't have obvious radio hit singles but I love that. That's the reason I was never interested in Justified or FutureSex.

The 20/20 Experience should have its own thread. Especially as there's a part 2 coming later this year.

Anyway, great stuff. Am I the only one who sees a similarity to Marvin Gaye's Here, My Dear? That was about divorce and JT's album seem inspired by his recent nuptuals, but both have very long songs compared to standard R&B format, and they also both have songs about space.

A stretch?

1. I guess I need to hear this JT album.

2. Am I the only one who likes the Knife album cover?

3. Why is Tyler the Creator famous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom