Random Music Talk LXXIX: A Tradition Like Many Others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just in the San Francisco branch of Amoeba records. The reputation is certainly justified. That was easily the best jazz selection I have ever seen, along with a few nice flourishes like employee recommendations for used titles.

I need someone who knows what's up to recommend some classical stuff to me. I'm fairly ignorant to names and composers, but I need some more classical tunage in my life. I know this is a weird example, but I love Christopher O'Riley's radiohead compositions. I also like Clare de Lune. Relaxing, piano based stuff. Please point me in the right direction

I need someone who knows what's up to recommend some classical stuff to me. I'm fairly ignorant to names and composers, but I need some more classical tunage in my life. I know this is a weird example, but I love Christopher O'Riley's radiohead compositions. I also like Clare de Lune. Relaxing, piano based stuff. Please point me in the right direction

Holst's The Planets rocks pretty hard, honestly. Absolutely my favorite classical suite.

And hell, you might want to track down some film scores as well, there are some brilliant ones out there, I've shared many times that The Land Before Time OST is like my 4th or 5th favorite album ever.

Another contemporary one, but this is one of my favorite piano numbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmxFAT581T4

But if you want to pick up a lot of classical music in one fell swoop, might I recommend:

Amazon.com: 100 Must-Have Movie Classics: Various artists: Official Music

100 songs there, plus the benefit of knowing some of the films you associate them with. Great springboard.

O'Riley's Radiohead transcriptions are good stuff. :up:

More piano based good stuff:
Debussy preludes (debussy composed claire de lune)
Rachmaninoff preludes or etudes-tableaux (or if you like orchestral stuff his 2nd and 3rd piano concertos are great, too).
Chopin nocturnes & ballades
Liszt Consolations
Brahms intermezzos

[/piano major]

O'Riley's Radiohead transcriptions are good stuff. :up:

More piano based good stuff:
Debussy preludes (debussy composed claire de lune)
Rachmaninoff preludes or etudes-tableaux (or if you like orchestral stuff his 2nd and 3rd piano concertos are great, too).
Chopin nocturnes & ballades
Liszt Consolations
Brahms intermezzos

[/piano major]

I don't know any Rachmaninoff by name (as a saxophone player, I didn't get a lot of exposure to his work), but everything I have heard by him is absolutely brilliant. I'm about to turn on an LP collection I have of his, actually because of this conversation. Glad to see a mention :up:

I don't know any Rachmaninoff by name (as a saxophone player, I didn't get a lot of exposure to his work), but everything I have heard by him is absolutely brilliant. I'm about to turn on an LP collection I have of his, actually because of this conversation. Glad to see a mention :up:

Yeah, Rachmaninoff is awesome. Challenging as fuck to play, though I always felt drawn in by the kind of noble melancholy (which seems to be a Russian thing) of a lot of it. The 2nd movement of his 2nd piano concerto is one of the most gorgeous of any classical concerto.

Max Richter. The Blue Notebooks is gorgeous.

People with iPhones are too lazy to take the files they paid less for and put them into iTunes and then onto that device? Sort of irrelevant when the cloud player works from your phone though, and I don't know what the non-apple smart phone people do. I've bought far more digital music via amazon, and unlike iTunes, it's never glitched out and prevented me from downloading stuff I paid for.

Beethoven's 5th and 9th
Felix Mendelssohn's "Lieder Ohne Worte" series

I am more ignorant of classic music than I am of metal. It will probably stay that way for a long time. Grieg's Hall of the Mountain King is the only one I know by name, and that's because there's a cover of it on The Who's remastered Sell Out album. I'm sure I'd recognise others.

In non-music news, man, I'm really loving Mad Men. I have no idea why. Nothing happens. But it's just so damn intriguing for some reason. And really good to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom