Random Music Talk LXXIX: A Tradition Like Many Others

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kale is very high in beta carotene, vitamin K, vitamin C, and rich in calcium. Kale is a source of two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin. Kale, as with broccoli and other brassicas, contains sulforaphane (particularly when chopped or minced), a chemical with potent anti-cancer properties. Boiling decreases the level of sulforaphane; however, steaming, microwaving, or stir frying do not result in significant loss. Along with other brassica vegetables, kale is also a source of indole-3-carbinol, a chemical which boosts DNA repair in cells and appears to block the growth of cancer cells. Kale has been found to contain a group of resins known as bile acid sequestrants, which have been shown to lower cholesterol and decrease absorption of dietary fat. Steaming significantly increases these bile acid binding properties.

CHRISTlAN SALE

AFRICAN AMBER ALE
growlers-3.jpg

Researchers have discovered a potent antioxidant in beer that gives new meaning to the traditional toast: "to your health." The finding is reported in the September issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific society.

Hops, used in most beers to provide flavoring, contain substances known as prenylated flavonoids. They are a better source of antioxidants than red wine, green tea and soy products, according to Donald Buhler, Ph.D., lead author of the study from Oregon State University. (Antioxidants - substances that protect against the damaging effects of oxygen and nitrogen in the human body - help prevent high cholesterol, heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's disease.)

But to maximize the health benefits of hops, you'd have to drink some 450 liters of beer per day, according to Buhler. The most likely outcome for the research, therefore, is a pill that captures their enhanced antioxidant activity, he said.

"I tell people they can't cure their disease by drinking beer - and it might just help," Buhler said. "The bottom line is that you're going to get some, but not preventative, levels of antioxidants by drinking beer."

Different beers have varying levels of antioxidants, ranging from a high of four milligrams per liter for some lager beers to negligible levels in some microbrews.

Previous research indicates that beer has cancer-fighting characteristics and antioxidant properties. The current research identifies the heretofore-unknown reason for these healthful qualities and suggests, for the first time, their source: the prenylated flavonoids in hops - specifically, the compound xanthohumol, Buhler said.

Xanthohumol (zan-tho-HUGH-mol), found exclusively in hops, is six times more effective than antioxidants found in citrus fruits and almost four times more effective than antioxidants found in soy products, Buhler said. Combined with vitamin E, xanthohumol has even greater antioxidant activity, he noted.

The compound's chemical structure could explain its added potency, Buhler said. As a prenylated flavonoid, xanthohumol has an additional layer of protection that allows it to survive longer in the body than other known flavonoids. A prenyl group has a particular arrangement of carbon and hydrogen molecules that have protective properties.

Flavonoids have been known to be antioxidants for years. Because they are a natural product, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not regulate them. Flavonoids are widely sold in pill form in health food stores and supermarkets, where they are presented as nutritional supplements.

"All we're saying is that the compounds we tested have better antioxidant activity than previously known flavonoids," Buhler said. "It takes less of these to do the same job as others and they do a better job with the same amount."

Here's a tip. The benefits of antioxidants are mythical, pseudoscientfic garbage and anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't read anything new about them in over a decade. They cause more harm than good. If anyone ever recommends antioxidant supplements to you, punch them in the face and run away

-----==========*
The more you know

Here's a tip. The benefits of antioxidants are mythical, pseudoscientfic garbage and anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't read anything new about them in over a decade. They cause more harm than good. If anyone ever recommends antioxidant supplements to you, punch them in the face and run away

-----==========*
The more you know

Thank you, Dr. Turkey.

Boy, Grouper's latest is terrific. How'd we let that one slip through the cracks, gang?

Today was the day I had planned on listening to Grouper, but it hasn't happened yet.

I just finished listening to Muchacho, Scumbo. Lot's of piano and slide guitar. Reminds me of early Wilco more than anything. Definitely worth a listen.

this album is fantabulous, let me just back up the D-B here.

It'll be the worst transition ever from Suede, but definitely do listen to the new Grouper. If you've heard her last couple, be aware it sounds nothing like that. It's a 5 year old album she dug up and it's actually less ambient than usual, more folk. Very pretty album.

Getting around to Phosphorescent now. The Quotidian Beasts is a major standout, one of the best tracks I've heard this year.

-----==========*
The more you know

I would think that "electrolites" also fall into this category?

Can't watch it cuz I'm at work, but I remember being intrigued by Thee Oh Seas. I remember not caring for the guy's voice, though, which was a shame. I'll give em another chance tonight.

I got hooked on Thee Oh Sees through Tidal Wave being in an episode of Breaking Bad, but their sound has changed a great deal from surf/garage rock to blissed-out psych. Obviously I'm totally in favor of it.

See them live if you can. The energy they have on stage is impressive and the songs translate well to that setting.

I need to hear the new JT.

Did you guys see his performance last friday on Jimmy Fallon? He did a medley of five or six of his hits, and it was just non-stop joy on the face of Justin and all the performers. They killed it. He tossed in a couple of bars of Ni**as In Paris, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom