Random Music Talk LXX: Original Theatrical Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Codes & Keys a shade better than Narrow Stairs, tho both are fairly dull affairs, save for a couple of good tunes.

Their older albums actually are pretty dull to my ears now too though. Maybe they haven't aged well, maybe I listened to them far too much back in the day.

I've only heard Plans and Narrow Stairs by them. I like both albums, though :shrug:.

"You haven't heard this yet? Where the hell have you been?" That whole attitude that assumes those who heard something first somehow have more of an authentic window into the music is pure horseshit.

Agreed, that attitude bugs me, too. For whatever reason, people are late to the party sometimes (this often tends to be the case with me :p). But it doesn't mean they love or value the music any less than the people who "were there first".

Their older albums actually are pretty dull to my ears now too though. Maybe they haven't aged well, maybe I listened to them far too much back in the day.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. I find Bend to Squares->President of What?->Champagne From a Paper Cup->Your Bruise to be the best run of their career, and We Have The Facts to be a nearly flawless album from start to finish.

Were we having this discussion 10 years ago, I'd be singing a much different tune. I just rarely want to listen to more than one or two songs from the older albums these days. Then again, I rarely want to listen to more than one or two of their songs from the newer ones either. :wink:

I'd say that's about 90% my fault, I went through a period between Transatlanticm and Plans where I listened to them all the time.

It's that dark, depressing time of year when I break out 808s & Heartbreak. I can't believe I'm still listening to it with any frequency, but I think I like it more every time I hear it. Cut loose See You In My Nightmares and Pinocchio Story and I would rank it above Graduation. At 42 minutes and minus two complete duds, I would be willing to call it a GREAT album instead of just a bold, interesting and moody one.

Really? I only really care about 3 songs from that album. Admittedly I need to listen to the whole thing again, but I found 808s had a "here are a few Greatest Hits songs and a bunch of filler!" vibe to it.

Were we having this discussion 10 years ago, I'd be singing a much different tune. I just rarely want to listen to more than one or two songs from the older albums these days. Then again, I rarely want to listen to more than one or two of their songs from the newer ones either. :wink:

I'd say that's about 90% my fault, I went through a period between Transatlanticm and Plans where I listened to them all the time.

Yeah, I just didn't care much for where their sound went. The Photo Album started them down that path but still had a lot of stuff that I really liked. Then came Transatlanticism and there was a lot less that I liked. Still bought Plans just with the hope it'd be more The Photo Album than Transatlanticism and was sorely disappointed to like it less than the latter. Discovered their first couple records in '01. I love that kinda hazy indie rock sound (similar to How It Feels To Be Something On by Sunny Day Real Estate) they had going on for the first few albums.

Really? I only really care about 3 songs from that album. Admittedly I need to listen to the whole thing again, but I found 808s had a "here are a few Greatest Hits songs and a bunch of filler!" vibe to it.

Yes really. Heartless, Street Lights, Love Lockdown, Paranoid, Coldest Winter are all great. The production is awesome and I love those 808 drums. The only thing holding the album back is that Kanye's lyrics aren't particularly clever or interesting. They're just easy, accessible rhymes about love being shitty. He upped his game times a million on MBDTF. But musically it's terrific. About a 7/10 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom