Random Music Talk LXX: Original Theatrical Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I think of grunge, I think of Nirvana. And those to bands, in my opinion, don't sound alike at all.

I think Pearl Jam and Oasis are quite similar in so far as they both made their careers on pastiche: Oasis by aping The Beatles and The Stone Roses and Pearl Jam by aping The Who, Neil Young, Zeppelin, etc. I like both bands, but I don't think that they collectively have ever had an original musical thought.

Then it's settled. I'm not going. Sorry GAF et al.

I'm sure I'd enjoy it but if I have to have people talk me into it I could probably spend that money better elsewhere. It's a lot of money. It's what I'm paying to see Springsteen, which in his case is a bargain.

So I'll just stay home, make a fire, eat popcorn, watch the returns, and talk to you guys. :)

Wow, I just realized how badly I mis-read Joyfulgirl's post. I thought she wanted to see Eddie VAN HALEN. I have no idea how I made such an enormous mistake. I was so confused for so many posts.

Also, I just realized, it's probably time to change my avatar :(

Wow, I just realized how badly I mis-read Joyfulgirl's post. I thought she wanted to see Eddie VAN HALEN. I have no idea how I made such an enormous mistake. I was so confused for so many posts.

Are you overworked or something? Not getting enough sleep? :hug:

Joyful, for the record, I vote no as well. Too much money, and to say I'm even lukewarm about Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder would be hyperbole.

iron yuppie said:
I think Pearl Jam and Oasis are quite similar in so far as they both made their careers on pastiche: Oasis by aping The Beatles and The Stone Roses and Pearl Jam by aping The Who, Neil Young, Zeppelin, etc. I like both bands, but I don't think that they collectively have ever had an original musical thought.

I can accept this at face value, but am much more forgiving of it in pearl jam's case. The first two Pearl Jam albums in my mind fit far too neatly in the early 90s Seattle grunge era (how much of that is m own opinion based on their sound vs the way rock music history has been written to say so is slightly suspect, though. But that's what I get for bing seven years old at the time and not acknowledging any music other than the Beatles at the time). And since then they've outlasted that era by definitely doing quite a bit of copying those bands you mentioned, it's nowhere near as narrow as what oasis did. They made a career off mimicking a fraction of what The Beatles did. I don't know enough about the Stone Roses to comment there, but didn't they only have one or two albums? Then again, I also can't stand oasis outside of "acquiesce".

I've gotten four wrong number calls from Puerto Rico in the last half hour, with voicemails. Except they're in Spanish, so I have no idea what she's on about.

Serious lols at this. I can't even imagine what an Eddie Van Halen show might involve. My thought is it likely approximates a circle of hell.

Are you overworked or something? Not getting enough sleep? :hug:

:lol:, I've had a LOT going on the last few weeks. But really, I don't know what came over me. I was so confused. I couldn't fathom WHY you wanted to go, or why everyone was cheering you on.

I thought she said Eddie MURPHY. But I knew that couldn't be right, because that's not even a question.

bono_212 said:
:lol:, I've had a LOT going on the last few weeks. But really, I don't know what came over me. I was so confused. I couldn't fathom WHY you wanted to go, or why everyone was cheering you on.

And what it had to do with pearl jam.

Pandora annoys me quite a bit after a couple songs on any given "station" as rarely does it come up with a decent enough variety for me to be bothered vs just picking stuff on my ipod. But I kind of dig the baroque channel, because that always felt like the most accessible kind of classical music for entirely uninitiated clueless people like myself. the only essay I was ever told was so bad I had to rewrite it was for a music appreciation class, apparently the professor didn't like my String quartets are awesome, I just fail to recognize or remember anything I hear. It all blends together and I still don't know the difference between a concerto and an étude general ignorance.

Quite nice while I sit here at work in the truck playing fruit ninja.

I think said this a few rmts ago, but summertime blues is such a great song. Gave up on pandora, it's an Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent kinda night.

I finally started work on my side project to my band. I love synthesizers. Oh my!

Oh man, best news. I'm getting a new car. Well not new, but you know. So much better than my dying little Avenger. This news could not have come at a better time. If I had to drive the Avenger this winter, I don't know if I'd make it.

Beautiful day today so we went out kneeboarding. Good fun, but I couldn't get up on my knees without falling off, which made me sad. Didn't even bother with wakeboarding :lol:

I thought she said Eddie MURPHY. But I knew that couldn't be right, because that's not even a question.

This reminds me, I FINALLY saw the Charlie Murphy/Rick James skit from Dave Chapelle Show. One of the funniest fucking things I've ever seen. "Cocaine is a helluva drug ... heheheheheh"

Oh man, best news. I'm getting a new car. Well not new, but you know. So much better than my dying little Avenger. This news could not have come at a better time. If I had to drive the Avenger this winter, I don't know if I'd make it.

Me too. Buying Mum's car.

they probably call it slabbo

We tend to not add letters. The 'o' form of words is usually done to shorten (servo, arvo, Freo, etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom