Random Music Talk LXVIII: Antipodean Sporting Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They're like the Weezer of their time.
According to Wiki, they were supposed to be the U2 of their time. What the hell happened? They're everything good about The Psychedelic Furs without the nasally-ness and with more consistency.

Sorry to bring this back up, but are The Lumineers a less popular version of Mumford & Sons, or is it ok for me to like some of their songs?

The Lumineers don't really sound anything like Mumford and Sons. IMO.

But as I mentioned before, I really only liked "Ho Hum".

I honestly don't think I could identify a Mumford and Sons song if I heard one, but I had a guy at work today compare The Lumineers to them for some reason.

I like The Lumineers song, Stubborn Love, quite a bit.

OK, I am retracting: "Shine On" is in fact my favorite song by House of Love.

And it joins the pantheon of favorite songs by artists name checking themselves in their own songs.

I honestly don't think I could identify a Mumford and Sons song if I heard one, but I had a guy at work today compare The Lumineers to them for some reason.

Somehow I had managed to forget about my favorite song by Mumford and Sons until yesterday when it popped up on Pandora.

IMO it stands head and shoulders above all of their other songs, though some would think that doesn't say much...

Mumford and Sons - Winter Winds(with lyrics) - YouTube

I see the similarities between the two. I saw the Lumineers with a friend a little over a week ago and liked them pretty well. They do have great stage presence and charisma, which I think is rare for an indie band, if you can apply that label to them.

I like Shine On a lot too.

Holy crap, that song by The Heavy, "What Makes A Good Man", is all over the place now. I swear I saw it in 3 different commercials over the weekend. I like it a lot, probably one of my favorite songs this year. Hopefully I don't end up annoyed by overexposure.

I've heard that fucking Internet Explorer song on the radio twice in the last two days. I'm scared. The second time was on my safe-haven indie station too.

ProductLRG.jpg

I don't mean you can't call them average in whether you like them. I mean that they certainly have a unique sound. They're not average. You can say they are awful (plenty would and I could see their point, as there is plenty I dislike about them too), you can say they are great, you can say your opinion is mixed (that's me!). But they are not average. They are in no way an average band.
Seriously, this shit gets old. You guys have bitched about Mumford and Sons almost incessantly for the last two years. I'm pretty sure I've seen you guys go on about them more than I've had actual real life meetings with people who think they're remotely good, let alone love them.
I do believe this is the first time I have even mentioned an opinion on Mumford & Sons. And that is because I never really had one.

Also, I fucking love Take a Walk and have no qualms stating that. One of my favorite songs of the year. I was pretty down on Passion Pit's first album, but I like this new one, and Take a Walk is my favorite song on it.

Also, I fucking love Take a Walk and have no qualms stating that. One of my favorite songs of the year. I was pretty down on Passion Pit's first album, but I like this new one, and Take a Walk is my favorite song on it.

No doubt, it's a great song. Funny how much I didn't like it the first time I heard it.

But "Cry Like a Ghost" :drool:

Today I really realized how depressing the lyrics on every track of that album are.

Well, it's not exactly pointless. The frustration comes from a place where most popular songs are people like Katy Perry, and that every spot taken up by a more traditional music act is rare. You want the ones ascending into popularity to be the best. And when people think the best indie/folk band out there right now is Mumford & Sons, it's pretty frustrating.

It bothers me that people think Mumford & Sons are so great because all it tells me is that they haven't listened to so many of the great acts out there in similar genres.

I get that feeling. There's artists I love that I wish were more well-known, too, believe me. But at the same time, I'd also argue that sometimes fans of the "better" bands sort of hurt their own cause as well. When those artists aren't burning up the charts, those fans are complaining, "Why is everyone listening to *Insert "lesser" band here*? Why isn't everyone listening to *Insert cool band here* instead?"

Then when the better, cooler band does start to get popular and get attention, they get called sell-outs, the fans get mad at everyone who "jumped on the bandwagon" and only got into them after they became popular, etc. They want these good acts to be what everyone's listening to, but then they get mad when everyone does listen, because now that artist isn't their little secret anymore. So...what happens then? They can't have it both ways.

I fully agree it's good to expand one's musical horizons, but some people aren't the type to get as deep and passionate about their musical tastes as others are, some people just like whatever's big at the moment and leave it at that. And for whatever reason, they're fine with it, and that's their choice. And then there's those like Ashley who do listen to a variety of music and then happen to like a group like Mumford and Sons, too, and that's fine as well. If someone doesn't like an artist because they genuinely don't like their music, that's totally fine, that makes sense. There's some music out there that's just not my thing, so I don't listen to it. And if the people making said music seem like real dickheads to boot, that makes me even less likely to enjoy them.

But for people to hate on an artist just 'cause it's the new thing to do, or to act all shocked that they're getting hype like, again, many an artist does...well, the former just seems silly to me-forget about what everyone else thinks about them, what do you think about them? And the latter makes me want to say to those people, "Are you new?" I guess, too, that I'd also rather have people overpraise and get overenthusiastic about music instead of hear someone say that there's no good music anymore, and it was all better "back in my day" and that sort of thing. Whether I personally like an artist or song or not, I like seeing people excited about music.

And I know the overexposure thing can be a pain. Absolutely. But hell, we're fans of a band that's known for doing the overexposure thing a lot, right? Unfortunately it happens in this day and age, and I don't think it's always fair to hate an artist simply for them being all over the place. Some of that is their doing, but some of that is beyond their control, too.

I'm surprised Of Monsters and Men has managed to go pretty under the radar in the hatred department so far.

I only know one song by them. But I rather like it, and I think a couple other people here said they did, too, in recent times, if I recall rightly.

Everyone's turning on Gotye

Not me. I love his latest album, and I've heard and love his other stuff, too. I think he's excellent.

Holy crap, that song by The Heavy, "What Makes A Good Man", is all over the place now. I swear I saw it in 3 different commercials over the weekend. I like it a lot, probably one of my favorite songs this year. Hopefully I don't end up annoyed by overexposure.

I like that song, too. And I saw them on Letterman a while back, they sounded great. Will have to go through and check out some of the stuff people have shared in these last few pages at some point as well.

360 has been nominated for no less than SIX Australian Recording Industry Association awards. These are the biggest gongs for Australian music in the country. At least The Jezabels got a bunch of noms, as did Gotye (I really enjoyed Making Mirrors, sue me)

Scrolling through this list reveals there are apparently only about 10 artists who make music in this country. And if you think I'm despairing, wait till you see Axver's reaction...

360 Leads 2012 ARIA Nominations ♫ Latest news at theMusic.com.au

I get that feeling. There's artists I love that I wish were more well-known, too, believe me. But at the same time, I'd also argue that sometimes fans of the "better" bands sort of hurt their own cause as well. When those artists aren't burning up the charts, those fans are complaining, "Why is everyone listening to *Insert "lesser" band here*? Why isn't everyone listening to *Insert cool band here* instead?"

Then when the better, cooler band does start to get popular and get attention, they get called sell-outs, the fans get mad at everyone who "jumped on the bandwagon" and only got into them after they became popular, etc. They want these good acts to be what everyone's listening to, but then they get mad when everyone does listen, because now that artist isn't their little secret anymore. So...what happens then? They can't have it both ways.

This is true too. It happened to me with Passion Pit's first album. I complained like the above when it came out, but then I got mad when everyone started proclaiming Passion Pit as their new zomfg favourite band about the time Little Secrets got released seven or eight months on.

That's probably got something to do with the fact I have more than 30,000 posts on an internet forum.

Bone Machine is by far the best album to play at Halloween. I never miss it if I can possibly help it.

This would also be the first time I can recall expressing an opinion about Mumford & Sons on here. And it makes sense to me that people are talking about them--they just put out a new record.

I quite like what I've heard from Of Monsters and Men (though I find their band name silly as well), and I'm still pretty fine with Gotye. Yeah, his album wasn't the best, but there are some good songs there. I feel bad that "Somebody That I Used to Know" was bastardized with so many awful remixes. It's like radio said, "Your song's good, but it doesn't sound like what we usually play, so we're just gonna change it up until it does."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom