Random Music Talk LXVIII: Antipodean Sporting Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm seeing Beach House in the new year.

Not with The Walkmen, and not for $5 ($70), but still, excited to see those two blokes do their thing.

Bone Machine is by far the best album to play at Halloween. I never miss it if I can possibly help it.

Also cheesy, but Oingo Boingo is still my fave.

0000418952_500.jpg

360 has been nominated for no less than SIX Australian Recording Industry Association awards. These are the biggest gongs for Australian music in the country. At least The Jezabels got a bunch of noms, as did Gotye (I really enjoyed Making Mirrors, sue me)

Scrolling through this list reveals there are apparently only about 10 artists who make music in this country. And if you think I'm despairing, wait till you see Axver's reaction...

360 Leads 2012 ARIA Nominations ♫ Latest news at theMusic.com.au

Actually, I normally expect this sort of thing to lack almost anything worthwhile, so I'm pretty pleased to see Alpine pick up a few nominations, and Sleepmakeswaves and DZ Deathrays score one each (shame they're up against each other for it!). Never ever thought I'd see Sleepmakeswaves get an ARIA nomination!

Also cheesy, but Oingo Boingo is still my fave.

0000418952_500.jpg

YES :up:. Lots of great songs on that one. And "Dead Man's Party" is just flat out fun.

I feel bad that "Somebody That I Used to Know" was bastardized with so many awful remixes. It's like radio said, "Your song's good, but it doesn't sound like what we usually play, so we're just gonna change it up until it does."

Ugh, wholeheartedly agreed on that. I've said before I'm not a huge fan of remixes as it is, and I remember our local radio station would occasionally play a remixed version that I didn't care for. That song really should've just been left alone. It's fine enough as it is.

I have never heard Loveless, nor could I name an MBV song. So that's my reason. Axver is going to ATP. I hope I don't listen to it in like two years and love it, only for them never to return.

I got into Pink Floyd after Roger Waters toured and I got into Pavement after their reunion shows here.

Should you then learn from previous experiences and listen to it before the gig takes place?

BTW! Story I forgot to share about The Jesus and Mary Chain:

After the third or fourth song they were having some issues tuning a guitar or something, and one of the guys behind me decided to take the silent moment to shout, "TURN THE VOCALS UP!"

Now, I don't know if the guy was joking or not, but it was obvious that his comment empowered the chick to the left of me to shout, "Yeah! WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!!" with 100% sincerity. I about friggin' died laughing. Clearly J&MC's biggest fan.

Holy crap, My Bloody Valentine are touring in February! How am I the only one (out of the Aussie posters here) excited by all this?

You're very late to the party. :wink:

ATP line-up is the most impressive of all the summer festivals if you ask me, though I grabbed Laneway tickets this morning too. Should be a good February. Soundwave looks pretty mediocre after last year though, so I'm passing on that (though apparently I'm the only person in Soundwave's demographic who found this current lineup underwhelming).

Listening to Celebration Rock for the first time in a while. Real good stuff.

There haven't been any albums so far this year I'd rate above about 8.5 but there have been an absolute shitload around that 7-8.5 mark, which is great.

bono_212 said:
BTW! Story I forgot to share about The Jesus and Mary Chain:

After the third or fourth song they were having some issues tuning a guitar or something, and one of the guys behind me decided to take the silent moment to shout, "TURN THE VOCALS UP!"

Now, I don't know if the guy was joking or not, but it was obvious that his comment empowered the chick to the left of me to shout, "Yeah! WE CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!!" with 100% sincerity. I about friggin' died laughing. Clearly J&MC's biggest fan.

An, ignorance and stupidity. They entertain me so when I read about them here. Sadly, if I had been at the show, it probably would have just made me angry.

cobl04 said:
Listening to Celebration Rock for the first time in a while. Real good stuff.

There haven't been any albums so far this year I'd rate above about 8.5 but there have been an absolute shitload around that 7-8.5 mark, which is great.

Oddly enough, my dislike for that band was founded in the same reasoning for my utter hatred of Mumford, but clearly I am the only one here to share that opinion. Probably because the only place I've ever seen them hyped is here, and they in no way shape or form suffer from the same kind of overplayed ubiquity.

You're very late to the party. :wink:

ATP line-up is the most impressive of all the summer festivals if you ask me, though I grabbed Laneway tickets this morning too. Should be a good February. Soundwave looks pretty mediocre after last year though, so I'm passing on that (though apparently I'm the only person in Soundwave's demographic who found this current lineup underwhelming).

I'm still thinking of grabbing a double pass to ATP, assuming they're still up for grabs. A couple of my friends are going and I'm keen for another trip over there. Just depends on the monetary situation.

I have never heard Loveless, nor could I name an MBV song. So that's my reason. Axver is going to ATP. I hope I don't listen to it in like two years and love it, only for them never to return.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that this'll happen. Frankly, you're overdue for a shoegaze period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom