Random Music Talk LXVII: All the First-World Problems You Can Handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cobl04 said:
Imp I bought, downloaded and watched that Rob Delaney dude's comedy special but didn't like it quite as much as I hoped I would, I think mostly because he interrupts himself and goes on tangents that get away from the story/joke I was interested in. And I think there's probably only so many jokes about shitting that I can hear in an hour and still laugh at. :lol:

That said, the bit about testicular cancer was absolutely hilarious. "uhhh SPORTS! SPORTSBALL!"

He's still a relative newcomer and his standup needs a lot of work, but no one tops him on Twitter.

Imperor said:
He's still a relative newcomer and his standup needs a lot of work, but no one tops him on Twitter.

Oh right, I was under the impression he was getting quite popular for some reason, had been around a while. But I totally agree about his tweets. A quick scroll down my favourites will reveal that.

Well Twitter is the reason for his rise to prominence, and that's only been going on for so long.

iYup, if/when you see this tomorrow, please watch that video and note that at the end he says he recorded his music onto his iPhone!

Jimmy Whispers don't like that ogling the girls do to Jimmy.

Jimmy Whispers thinks you should keep your eyes to yourself.

In more serious news...

The Jesus and Mary Chain were awesome. Really, Really awesome. I am going to dive headfirst into their discography starting tomorrow. Whatever problems I had with Pyschocandy I'm sure we can work them out.

Iggy Pop is absolutely nuts and the whole Stooges sound really improved for me live. I really didn't enjoy Raw Power, but every thing they played tonight had me hooked.

Elvis Costello did not disappoint either. Surprised by how many songs I knew of his as well. Glad to say I've seen him.

I'll write more tomorrow. I'm exhausted.

Alison
Pump It Up
Watching the Detectives
Oliver's Army
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
I Want You
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, & Understanding*
Everyday I Write The Book
Veronica

A list of a few of his more notable songs of his you should check out-see if any ring a bell, and if they don't, then hey, new stuff for you to hear :) (and "I Want You" was thrown in just 'cause it's an excellent song, well-known or not).

*This song was actually originally done by Nick Lowe, but Elvis had the bigger hit with it.

Speaking of which, I haven't listened to that album in a little while.

I have today and tomorrow off because a friend who lives on the other side of the country is in town. Yay.

Today I made a playlist and I'm listening to it while I work. It's the Beatles studio discography in chronological order. I don't think I'll get thru the whole thing today. But it's fun!

Then you're missing out on a lot of great music. Two of my favourite releases of the year are EP's: The Antlers - Undersea and Burial - Kindred.

Alison
Pump It Up
Watching the Detectives
Oliver's Army
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
I Want You
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, & Understanding*
Everyday I Write The Book
Veronica

A list of a few of his more notable songs of his you should check out-see if any ring a bell, and if they don't, then hey, new stuff for you to hear :) (and "I Want You" was thrown in just 'cause it's an excellent song, well-known or not).

*This song was actually originally done by Nick Lowe, but Elvis had the bigger hit with it.

I'm listening to his recently released live set (The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook!) as I see these posts. Coincidence? Nah, Elvis is just awesome and he gets a regular playing at my house.

As for suggestions, here are some albums to check out
This Year's Model
Get Happy!!
Imperial Bedroom
Blood & Chocolate
When I Was Cruel

And some more excellent Elvis songs:
New Amsterdam
Brilliant Mistake
Beyond Belief
Accidents Will Happen
Radio, Radio
Shipbuilding

It appears The Flaming Lips are releasing a full album cover of In the Court of the Crimson King, like they did with DSOTM.

Meanwhile I am getting reacquainted with Mylo Xyloto, and I still love it.

cobl04 said:
Meanwhile I am getting reacquainted with Mylo Xyloto, and I still love it.
How does it feel to have 14 pencils in your ear?

I like a few songs on that album. The rest is crappy imo and I think I'm one of the kinder people towards it on the internetz.

iYup, if/when you see this tomorrow, please watch that video and note that at the end he says he recorded his music onto his iPhone!

Dude in the white hat and glasses is having the time of his life. :lol: And am I wrong, or is he singing into a sodding corndog?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom