Random Music Talk LXVI: This is not a rutabaga song...this is CELERY SALTY CELERY!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Care less about what your buddies think, and base your decisions off...well, pretty much everything else. That being said, sounds terrible. Trance and hippies? Get me the fuck away, or at least arm me with a few assault rifles first.

If you have to go, go in completely fuckfaced.

Just for the balkan beats if nothing else!

Had a dog feces filled morning. Day is already off to a wonderful start... :wink:

Tempted to take a little "for me time" break during work today to head to a music store to get the new Mono, Jens Lekman, and Cat Power. Probably won't though. We'll see.

iron yuppie said:
Nice - thanks for the heads-up.

Love This Giant is absolutely brilliant and really funky. It's more a Byrne record than a St. Vincent album, but they compliment each other extremely well.

u2popmofo said:
Tempted to take a little "for me time" break during work today to head to a music store to get the new Mono, Jens Lekman, and Cat Power. Probably won't though. We'll see.

I would bet my lunch money that I couldn't find all three of those albums on CD within a 10 mile radius of my office. Maybe if I went to the mall and hit Best But and FYE, but even then I'm skeptical.

I may go out and look for Animal Collective on vinyl if I have time.

That Blur box set finally put me over the top; my iTunes library no longer fits on my iPod Classic. Took me a few hours yesterday to edit all the tags, too. People are idiots, at least the ones who submit metadata to iTunes anyway.

I would bet my lunch money that I couldn't find all three of those albums on CD within a 10 mile radius of my office.

I can't either. I'd have to drive about 15+ mins away on the the freeway, so the store isn't exactly close by any means. Used to have considerably closer options, but they all closed. I recently read that some Best Buys are completely doing away with the music sections, or at least down-scaling them drastically yet again. Pretty sad.

I think I'm gonna pass on Animal Collective. Aside from 4 or 5 songs, I just don't enjoy much of their stuff any more. I was really disappointed in the last Panda Bear album too, sorta assume I'll feel the same about this. :huh:

Hope you guys are sitting down. I have shocking news.

I really like Love This Giant.

It's more a Byrne record than a St. Vincent album, but they compliment each other extremely well.

My thought as well. I do love the Talking Heads style that is all over it, but I think it under-utilizes Annie's guitar quite severely. I need a few more listens before I can really take all of it into consideration, though.

Took me a few hours yesterday to edit all the tags, too. People are idiots, at least the ones who submit metadata to iTunes anyway.

My foremost pet peeve with the tags is when they feel the need to put "live" after every song on a live album. You would think that the live nature of the songs would be obvious from an album entitled The Abattoir Blues Tour.

I wonder why reviewers just now are irritated with Animal Collective drenching songs in far too many layers. That has been their MO for at least seven years at this point.

I put live after live songs so it doesn't calculate the same as the studio version in Last FM.

I wonder why reviewers just now are irritated with Animal Collective drenching songs in far too many layers. That has been their MO for at least seven years at this point.

Inevitable backlash for the last album's popularity.

The Divine Fits album is solid. Sounds a hell of a lot like Spoon, but with some new wave touches. It's very likable.

"My heart is really on its knees" is personification only a Boner could love though.

Inevitable backlash for the last album's popularity.

I gotta say, I've always found that mindset to be incredibly annoying. Oh, my god, something got popular! So what? If it's not someone's thing, fine, and I know if an artist is suddenly everywhere you turn after a while it can be annoying, but to start hating on an artist simply because they started getting some attention/new fans and whatnot just always strikes me as obnoxious.

cobl, regarding the trip, I'm with the others on going to that festival. I know what you mean about it not necessarily being something you're familiar with musically and everything, it doesn't sound like it'd have an immediate appeal to me, either. But at the same time, never hurts to try new things, as you noted. Even if the music doesn't grab you, no doubt you'll likely have some interesting stories to share after it's all said and done.

Plus, if that were me, and a friend got me a ticket to a show, I'd feel bad turning them down (save for an obvious emergency situation or something).

Also, probably late with this, but NSW, have a safe, fun trip!

I wish I had more band-related T-shirts. I know you can buy them online, but I don't have a credit card so I only buy shirts when I go to gigs. And I barely ever go to gigs because God hates Philadelphia and its residents abroad, so I only have two (The NASH! and U2).

So I ordered the new Elbow b-sides collection from Amazon UK, and they sent me an unwrapped copy. It doesn't look like a promo copy or anything, but it makes me think I got someone's reject version.

Weird. The disc looks pristine, so I'm sure it's fine, I just thought it was rather strange.

That is weird. Was it directly from Amazon UK, or an Amazon UK "seller"?

Speaking of CD packaging, I wish I would have kept the old longbox packing CDs used to come in.

longmurder01.png

1_7bd7cb05bc47eae9710e05dc4247ca4a.jpg

41jZ9xaro0L._SS500_.jpg

I've always seen that picture of Meat is Murder, but it never occurred to me until just now that the album actually came in a package that big. Was that a common thing to do, or was it a rare occasion?

We added an Erykah Badu show for October today. Perks of the job. Gonna be great, gang.

All CD's at retail locations came inside a larger cardboard package in the early days for some reason (The normal CD jewel case was inside this larger cardboard package).. Some were pretty much just an empty white package where you could see the CD at the top, others had artwork like the ones shown above. Would have been cool to have held onto some of the cooler ones. Then again, I bought a lot of crappy music back then....

bono_212 said:
I've always seen that picture of Meat is Murder, but it never occurred to me until just now that the album actually came in a package that big. Was that a common thing to do, or was it a rare occasion?

In the 80's and early 90's virtually every CD came in a long box or a similarly sized blister pack. That way the record shops could display them easily in their vinyl bins. Wish I had saved mine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom