Random Music Talk LXV: 6400 Posts Have Led Up To This

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's my favorite song on the album, it's excellent.

I could really do without Oompa Radar though.

I remember seeing that performance live and my roommate and I both immediately went to our computers to figure out who the hell Goldfrapp are.

Goldfrapp's singles collection from earlier this year is a really solid listen. I have not heard a full album from her/them, though.

Which of these 3 is your fav, guyz?

Grimes
Chairlift
Purity Ring

Tell me now, so that I may ponder your answers.

I haven't heard Chairlift, and I didn't think much of Grimes. I would like to buy the Purity Ring album.

So, uh, Purity Ring.

Grimes has the highest peaks of the three; Oblivion and Genesis are brilliant
Purity Ring is the most unique
Chairlift has the hottest lead singer

I saw Chairlift live at a tiny club with like 50 other people and really enjoyed that. I feel like I have the most attachment to them. Plus the hot lead singer thing. I'll say Chairlift, though yeah, Grimes has a couple songs I love. Purity Ring could be really awesome, but the album blurred together for me.

I'm going with Chairlift, 'cause that's the only one out of those groups I've heard anything by :p.

My younger sister is 14, and a friend of hers commented on one of her statuses, calling someone a faggot. His name was "Ben Hugedicksmith", he was shirtless and doing the westside hand sign in his display pic, and his job was "Pussy Destroyer". So his parents have just done a terrific job in raising him. I deleted him :shh:

Well, he sounds like a charming fellow!

Good move.

As for the German talk in here...I should probably study that language more, given that most of my ancestry is German. I only know the occasional word here and there.

Moonlit_Angel said:
As for the German talk in here...I should probably study that language more, given that most of my ancestry is German. I only know the occasional word here and there.

How about Lisztomania? I know the dude was Hungarian but it originated in Berlin...

I really need to get around to listening to Purity Ring. Right now, Chairlift and Grimes are of about equal quality in my estimation. My opinion of Chairlift rose massively with their latest album and I agree that they are quite fun live.

LemonMelon said:
I can hardly wrap my mind around the douchiness of a professor using a book he wrote himself as the primary text of his course. It's taken a day or two for it to sink in properly. Like, yesterday, it didn't bother me so much. But now that I'm sitting down with it, I can't help but wonder who proofread or fact-checked this thing. I have no idea. The preface isn't full of errors at least.

What a semester this is going to be.

I once had a professor who dedicated a PowerPoint slide to a quote of herself. She literally put the fucking sentence in quotes, and then underneath it her name and the date she said it, which was just the previous year. Who the fuck does that?

Grimes hasn't aged well for me throughout the year.

Purity Ring may be the stronger overall record, but I can't deny the highs of Chairlift, so..

Chairlift

But really, Wild Nothing, gang. That's where it's at.

Also, Mike, I am so damn proud of you and incredibly happy. Congratulations.

Also, Also, Travis, you'll be hearing from my lawyer.

Personal news, gang. Feel free to read or ignore, whatever pleases you most.

For whatever reason, my parent company has selected me to spend 2.5 months in Germany with one of our affiliates. I'll be learning how they go about their business while at the same time educating them about how things are done here in the States, both at a marco and micro level. I'll still be handling my current responsibilities while overseas, albeit on a slightly smaller scale, so it's going to be a fantastic but hectic period of time. I am not, at all, a goal setter...I've literally set 3 tangible goals in my entire life. Working abroad, even if only for a short period of time, was the last of the 3 goals....so, there is no accurate way to convey just how much this opportunity means to me. There are a lot of logistics pertaining to my home/work life here in LA that need sorting out between today and my departure, so my focus lies there for now, but, yeah, I'm insanely grateful and excited and when I think or talk about this for too long I get an idiotic and lopsided grin on my face. So, guys, there you have it, thanks for listening.
so you're going to atlanta?

congrats! how awesome. welcher stadt?

I can hardly wrap my mind around the douchiness of a professor using a book he wrote himself as the primary text of his course. It's taken a day or two for it to sink in properly. Like, yesterday, it didn't bother me so much. But now that I'm sitting down with it, I can't help but wonder who proofread or fact-checked this thing. I have no idea. The preface isn't full of errors at least.

What a semester this is going to be.
i hate that bullshit. it means you can't get it for cheap on ebay or somewhere else and odds are you can't sell it back even at the bookstore at the end of the semester if it's an unpopular class. so you're stuck forking out big cash for a book you use for a few months and can never use again.

plus - this is just my opinion on it - those professors just come off as incredibly egotistical to me. what, the 5,000 books on your subject just weren't good enough, so you had to write your own book on it? and your salary just isn't enough, now you need fucking book royalties too? it's one thing if it's a $20 workbook (i got that a lot in nz but hey, those workbooks were a lot cheaper than a textbook would've been so in that case i didn't mind) but if it costs as much as any other book, you've got to be kidding me.

why not just eliminate a book altogether and put notes or journals or shit online to read? no wait, that'd be free. :rolleyes:

I once had a professor who dedicated a PowerPoint slide to a quote of herself. She literally put the fucking sentence in quotes, and then underneath it her name and the date she said it, which was just the previous year. Who the fuck does that?
good lord. i thought it was bad enough that i once had a professor that had part of the first lecture be about her, slides and all. i swear, i hate the first day of classes because it's usually totally throwaway, yet you always get that one tidbit of info you'd need that you would've missed otherwise. and occasionally you get that prick professor who actually uses that first day to teach. overachievers.

Oh my God, how did miss that post by Danny Boy before. Holy shit :lmao:. I once had a professor have us read her thesis and that was about it, no books written by profs.

I can not believe that I am about to make bacon. I've never done anything like this before and it's damn exciting.

But yeah, if you want bacon, I'm gonna need a week's notice :lol:

Am I blind, or is there no new Twin Shadow thread and no one's bumped the one from last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom