Random Music Talk LXV: 6400 Posts Have Led Up To This

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest:

I've been waiting with much anticipating to see what you'd say. This wasn't far off of what I expected.

I know that if you had a heart you would really mean "that's great, good luck".

Did I miss something in your original post? People seem to be assuming you're going to Berlin but I didn't see you mention a specific city.

If it is Berlin, I can recommend a fantastic kebab place and some other good eats and bars, as I spent a few weeks there in April.

All the Grizz talk has me listening to them now. Cheerleader is pretty awesome.

I don't know what to do for dinner. I've been too lazy to go to the grocery store all week, so it's either a protein bar, a random can of soup, or order something unhealthy. I wish there were more delivery options than just pizza here.

You're not going to Atlanta?

This is funny. You've been funny lately.

All the Grizz talk has me listening to them now. Cheerleader is pretty awesome.

I don't know what to do for dinner. I've been too lazy to go to the grocery store all week, so it's either a protein bar, a random can of soup, or order something unhealthy. I wish there were more delivery options than just pizza here.

Soup it up.

My nephew is in Tubingen for his school year abroad. His German is very good, say the Germans he speaks to.

Also, Mike, my husband tells me the BMW museum is in Munich. He likes the motorcycles better than the cars. Like no one could tell that.

My nephew is in Tubingen for his school year abroad.

I've been there! That was my "home base" while I was traveling through Europe. A friend's brother was living there at the time but wasn't there that summer. So I had the keys to the house. Whenever I ran over budget, I took the train there and raided the canned goods in their basement and slept for free for a few nights, did laundry, used up all their hot water, and then off I'd go again to the next city/country. Those few months were just about the happiest times of my life. I've never known that kind of freedom since. I never imagined that the cure for this insomniac was crowded trains and stinky youth hostels.

So someone on Facebook with the username of "Idont Giveashit" just sent me a friend invite. Their employer is "I'm a prostitute", college is "In your dad's pants", and high school is "Your mom's vagina". They have no other friends presently, so I'm apparently quite lucky.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to accept that request.

u2popmofo said:
So someone on Facebook with the username of "Idont Giveashit" just sent me a friend invite. Their employer is "I'm a prostitute", college is "In your dad's pants", and high school is "Your mom's vagina". They have no other friends presently, so I'm apparently quite lucky.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to accept that request.

My younger sister is 14, and a friend of hers commented on one of her statuses, calling someone a faggot. His name was "Ben Hugedicksmith", he was shirtless and doing the westside hand sign in his display pic, and his job was "Pussy Destroyer". So his parents have just done a terrific job in raising him. I deleted him :shh:

His name was "Ben Hugedicksmith", he was shirtless and doing the westside hand sign in his display pic, and his job was "Pussy Destroyer". So his parents have just done a terrific job in raising him. I deleted him :shh:

So this chap would qualify as a bogan, I presume?

I can hardly wrap my mind around the douchiness of a professor using a book he wrote himself as the primary text of his course. It's taken a day or two for it to sink in properly. Like, yesterday, it didn't bother me so much. But now that I'm sitting down with it, I can't help but wonder who proofread or fact-checked this thing. I have no idea. The preface isn't full of errors at least.

What a semester this is going to be.

Congratulations, in all seriousness. Sounds like this is a huge deal for you, as it should be. Good luck, we're all counting on you.

I know a bit of German, if you want a tip:

Vorsprung durch technik.

Congrats, NSW.

Little Lord Piss, funny again.

And, both of you, thanks very much, I really do appreciate the kind words. :)

I can hardly wrap my mind around the douchiness of a professor using a book he wrote himself as the primary text of his course. It's taken a day or two for it to sink in properly. Like, yesterday, it didn't bother me so much. But now that I'm sitting down with it, I can't help but wonder who proofread or fact-checked this thing. I have no idea. The preface isn't full of errors at least.

That's fairly common practice, I'm afraid. How about a professor who writes a book and then imposes it on 25 TAs across 50-plus sections of an introductory course? And the book is antiquated enough to have a step-by-step tutorial on how to bookmark a web page?

I think about 30 percent of my professors have used their own books.

That's fairly common practice, I'm afraid. How about a professor who writes a book and then imposes it on 25 TAs across 50-plus sections of an introductory course? And the book is antiquated enough to have a step-by-step tutorial on how to bookmark a web page?

This is a required theology course.

I'm not going to call to task any single detail of this book. Nope. Not one.

I think about 30 percent of my professors have used their own books.

I graduate in December and have never had the pleasure.

This book is actually a word document and isn't finished yet.

If it's a narrow field, I don't really have a problem with this. If I ever get to lecture on my thesis topic, I'd pretty much just have a choice of setting a book written in 1932, or writing a new one myself. I know which I'd do, and as much as the book that already exists was massively influential on me, it's also really out of date in a number of ways.

That said, in most of the courses I've done, we didn't have a prescribed textbook, just a course reader of selected chapters and journal articles. Often one of the selections would be written by the course co-ordinator, but that's just one of fifty or so.

If it's a narrow field, I don't really have a problem with this. If I ever get to lecture on my thesis topic, I'd pretty much just have a choice of setting a book written in 1932, or writing a new one myself. I know which I'd do, and as much as the book that already exists was massively influential on me, it's also really out of date in a number of ways.

That said, in most of the courses I've done, we didn't have a prescribed textbook, just a course reader of selected chapters and journal articles. Often one of the selections would be written by the course co-ordinator, but that's just one of fifty or so.

My big problem is that this isn't a narrow field in the slightest, and a fairly subjective one. Very minimal quotations also, in an effort to "keep the footnotes down." I wish this were a purely historical course, but it's considerably more fluid: basically a selection of topics that have divided religious discourse for centuries, as well as some that are more recent.

I have come across many, many courses that have attempted to save students money by selecting journal articles in lieu of a central text, and that usually works out OK.

I wish I could get into early Goldfrapp. It's OK stuff, you know, Felt Mountain is enjoyable, but I would rather be listening to Dummy or Homogenic. Better beats.

Only a handful of people really liked Head First here, and I was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom