Random Music Talk LXI: In Which PFan and GAF Drink a Lot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how Reddit works. It seems like all hilarious internet things start there though.

Probably a good thing. Between here, facebook, twitter, youtube and wikipedia I waste about five hours a day doing shit that has absolutely nothing to do with work.

I don't know if I'm just in a Modest Mouse mood or what, but I regret not listening to This Is A Long Drive sooner. This is wonderful, a bit moodier than Lonesome Crowded West but no means light, and still quirky as hell.

EDIT: Yeah, Dramamine and Talking Shit About A Pretty Sunset are two of the best Modest Mouse tracks. Unbelievably good.

Almost done listening to this for the first time. Wow, it's consistently weird and moody and just good. I'm glad you brought it up.

Alright, Sky Blue Sky, let's do this thang.

lol jks it's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
sorry if you thought you could unlease a friggin' cobbler
maybe next time
9TH

joyfulgirl said:
Ever watched them? They're incredibly smart and playful.

I watched something on PBS once about them. They're scary smart.

It was pretty good. Didn't blow me away but it will grow on me. Would say I Am Trying To Break Your Heart and Pot Kettle Black were my favourites.

I was a bit let down by the outros on Ashes of American Flags and Poor Places... both times it feels like the song's about to go somewhere awesome but they both end with a wash of distortion. I've noticed the music doesn't go where you would expect it to in a number of Wilco songs. Love the guitar as Kamera comes to an end. Really pretty. Heavy Metal Drummer is cool. I liked Jesus Etc as well though not immediately sure how it is one of their biggest hits. Had a bit of a Steely Dan vibe and seemed a little out of place at first. I noticed a couple of lyrics that give weight to the "foreshadowing 9/11" theories, like idiots who think Kid A predicted it.

What's everyone else's thoughts on the album?

I really like I Am Trying To Break Your Heart and that's about it. Wilco was never my cup of tea.

djerdap said:
I really like I Am Trying To Break Your Heart and that's about it. Wilco was never my cup of tea.

That's pretty much been my thoughts on the band. I did really like that song at one point, but I'm not quite sure I still would (as I haven't heard it in ages) and nothing else I've heard outside the mermaid ave stuff has been anything I've wanted to hear a second time. And I think the only reason I liked the mermaid ave stuff was because billy Bragg is the man.

iron yuppie said:
Fishing is one of the things that turned me vegetarian. I worked at a camp where the kids fished, and I always had to be the one who unhooked the fish that had been caught. Since then I have never bought the argument that they can't feel pain or are not able to suffer.

:up:

I hate it when people say they are vegetarian but eat fish...

Watching Seinfeld ep The Movie. Funny, but a bit odd to watch given we all have mobile phones now, so the entire episode wouldn't work today. Same with a lot of older movies/tv shows. Annoying social situations made very easy by mobile phones.

And yet my parents are always giving me the "when I was your age..." garbage :rolleyes:

Guess what Mum! I don't have to imagine life without my mobile! :D

It was pretty good. Didn't blow me away but it will grow on me. Would say I Am Trying To Break Your Heart and Pot Kettle Black were my favourites.

I was a bit let down by the outros on Ashes of American Flags and Poor Places... both times it feels like the song's about to go somewhere awesome but they both end with a wash of distortion. I've noticed the music doesn't go where you would expect it to in a number of Wilco songs. Love the guitar as Kamera comes to an end. Really pretty. Heavy Metal Drummer is cool. I liked Jesus Etc as well though not immediately sure how it is one of their biggest hits. Had a bit of a Steely Dan vibe and seemed a little out of place at first. I noticed a couple of lyrics that give weight to the "foreshadowing 9/11" theories, like idiots who think Kid A predicted it.

What's everyone else's thoughts on the album?

Check out the live CD Kicking Television. As LeMel mentioned recently, the live versions are so great it's almost hard to listen to the originals anymore. I sure did love YHF once upon a time, though, and I still love those songs but they're just a million times better now with the current (and hopefully forever) Wilco lineup. The band is just so strong now that the YHF recordings sounds dated - and kind of sleepy - to my ears.

The best intentionally funny article on Pitchfork, by far. Probably the tenth funniest thing on the site overall.

Also, just backtracking with the Cobbler being a murderous pirate snake fucker thing, brown skakes are among the most poisonous in the world and are also absolutely massive. They're real damn scary when they stand up, too - the sight of a snake taller than yourself is terrifying, to say the least. While I don't condone killing snakes, it's certainly been the first reaction for people of older generations here, and coming face to face with them it's easy to see why - especially if calling a snake handler is out of the question, as it often is in rural areas. It's also pretty iffy since some of the most bastard snakes are protected species. So yeah. Snakes!

The new Twin Shadow album is good.

cobl04 said:
I don't understand how Reddit works. It seems like all hilarious internet things start there though.

Explore some subreddits that interest you and you'll quickly become acclimated. Check out r/breakingbad or r/vinyl.

I'm revisiting The Velvet Underground's discography, and damn is White Light / White Heat a trip. I'm not sure how an album can be groovy and erratic at the same time, but this one is. It's almost like none of them can play but accidentally fall into brilliant grooves for forty minutes straight. I know that's not the case, but it sounds that way, which gives the whole album a bit of a magical feeling.

I can never decide if White Light/White Heat or their self-titled (the second one) is more wonderful. Two real knockout records there.

The debut is starting to grow on me in a profound way. One night/morning I couldn't sleep and I played the album and it made so much more sense. It definitely sounds better if you feel like absolute shit, like the protagonist in I'm Waiting for the Man.

I'm revisiting The Velvet Underground's discography, and damn is White Light / White Heat a trip. I'm not sure how an album can be groovy and erratic at the same time, but this one is. It's almost like none of them can play but accidentally fall into brilliant grooves for forty minutes straight. I know that's not the case, but it sounds that way, which gives the whole album a bit of a magical feeling.

Loaded has always been my favorite. Love the bluesiness of Sweet Nothin'.

cobl04 said:
Watching Seinfeld ep The Movie. Funny, but a bit odd to watch given we all have mobile phones now, so the entire episode wouldn't work today.

Weird, my gf just made the same comment about Seinfeld in general last week.
I've got my eye on you, cobbler

I'm so sorry. I can't imagine how bizarre and stressful it is there right now.
There have been times of stress, and constant bizarreness, but it only truly has started to concern me now with the death penalty talk. And once the NCAA president declared it an option, now I'm terrified. Fall of senior year is the biggest semester for a sports journalism major, and it'll basically be wiped out for me if that happens.

Want to talk about stress and constant bizarreness? It's 45 degrees again today and the baby powder I applied this morning was rendered useless the second I stepped out of the house

Want to talk about stress and constant bizarreness? It's 45 degrees again today and the baby powder I applied this morning was rendered useless the second I stepped out of the house
It's 100 degrees and humid as fuck, so I keep sweating the gel out of my currently large and ridiculous hair. Bono must have had it rough back in the early 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom