Random Music Talk LV: Discussing The Music We've Been Listening to and Enjoying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something I am really starting to notice is that I don't like it when songs fade out. It seems to me almost like a lazy way to end a song.

I've always thought so too. I'll probably get shit for this, but one of the few songs where I actually think it works is Rockin Chair by Oasis. The song kinda drifts in at the beginning, then drifts out at the end. There's something about it that makes it feel as if the song is just floating about and gets picked up by your speakers briefly before floating away. Fits nicely with the melody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRxhU176QyI

"Oi luv I wrote this great choon bout how shitty a father you are, John, how you reckon I should end it?"

"Fuck off"

"Hey, guys, I have an idea!"

Na na na na na na naaaaaa
Na na na naaaaaa
Hey Juuuuude

"Nobody cares what you think, Ringo."

I didn't know Paul was a yob. I do like the idea of him pitching Hey Jude to John in that manner, though.

One of my favorite things to do while listening to Beatles albums after, say, Revolver is to imagine what the other band members thought of the song. Like, what might have happened when John brought in Good Morning Good Morning or George with any of his sitar numbers. The Let It Be film answered some questions.

Many Bothans died to bring me this information

Mon%20Mothma.jpg

Something I am really starting to notice is that I don't like it when songs fade out. It seems to me almost like a lazy way to end a song.

I feel the opposite. For me, Shuttlecock have been totally unadventurous by trying to wrap every song up in a neat little package with a bow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but of all the songs on the last three albums there's only two or three that fade out. Sadly, a track like Moment of Service practically screams for a slow fade. The ending is just dumb.

I've never been a big fan of fade-outs either. Sometimes it works but it feels so inorganic. Live is where music lives and songs obviously can't fade out live, so I don't like when they do on record.

Wrapping every song with a neat little bow? That's a weird way to describe the simple act of ending a song. There are plenty of worthy criticisms for U2 in the past decade. Ending songs is a really silly one.

iron yuppie said:
Yeah, Animals is an example of an album that uses the fade-out well, especially on Pigs and Sheep.

Sheep popped into my head immediately when I read your post and started replying. Great minds think alike, iyup.

In fact I'm not sure I've heard an album with better outros than Animals, even if there's only three tracks :wink:

As a songwriter, I am neither favorable towards sudden endings or fade outs. It all depends on the mood of the track, the pacing, the closure one feels reaching the outro, etc. If you have a song that ends with a blistering solo, there's no point in coming up with a sudden ending. Fade it out and let the song roll. Otherwise, I'll usually just end it conclusively. Sequencing usually works out more smoothly that way; it's hard to transition a fade.

My God, I can't get to the last page of this thread, it just keeps taking me back to page 8. Making this post in hopes that it will lead me on.

As a songwriter, I am neither favorable towards sudden endings or fade outs. It all depends on the mood of the track, the pacing, the closure one feels reaching the outro, etc. If you have a song that ends with a blistering solo, there's no point in coming up with a sudden ending. Fade it out and let the song roll. Otherwise, I'll usually just end it conclusively. Sequencing usually works out more smoothly that way; it's hard to transition a fade.

This makes sense.

For Shuttlecock, if you look at something like Chalk On, an abrupt ending would be completely at odds with the title. At least they got that one right.

But I think something like City of Winding Serves and about how galloping that song is, and then it just sputters to a halt with that almost off-key sounding piano. Not good. Whereas a similar song (to me, anyway) like A Sort Of Cock Coming ends with the line "I am coming home", and so when Boner reaches his destination (Burger King, most likely), there is a clear stop.

Wow, looks like M83's Chicago show not only got moved to a much larger venue than originally scheduled, but also sold out that larger venue. Good for him.

Wow, looks like M83's Chicago show not only got moved to a much larger venue than originally scheduled, but also sold out that larger venue. Good for him.

Tickets were going for $70 each. Thankfully, I don't have to bother with that because he's playing Lolla. :up:

Back
Top Bottom