Random Music Talk LV: Discussing The Music We've Been Listening to and Enjoying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like dialogue-driven television, so I appreciated the vibe of the episode, but it had some pacing issues and strange characterization on Walt's part. It was OK.

Half Measures into Full Measures is one of the best accomplishments ever in television.

Also, I believe that Fly is the only episode of Breaking Bad I haven't seen. I rushed all three seasons in like three weeks last July in the lead up to Season 4, and I think I had to skip one to finish in time, and that was it.

cobl04 said:
I've only got two episodes to go in s3 of Breaking Bad... can I ask why you weren't interested? Because season three has been by far the best so far, in my opinion. I mean there hasn't been a bad episode, really, but s3 has had me captivated for every second.

Still think "stay out of my territory" + DLZ has been my favourite moment though.

I'm also completely not getting why you of all people would watch Glee.

Just seemed like it got too ridiculous and the plot got too out of control as season three wore on, and I ceased to really care much about any of the characters. I do think the first two seasons were really well-written, and I know I'm in somewhat of a minority regarding the third, I just didn't care anymore.

Season 3 is ridiculous (especially the rather silly first few episodes, which are more in the realm of dramedy than anything else), and season 4 even more so. The body count gets absurd.

Whatever. Whenever the show starts to falter, just call Saul.

I was gonna watch them today, but I don't quite have enough time. So I'll do it tomorrow. Now I'm gonna indulge in some discussion, because I'm so far behind I've missed all the discussion in the BB thread.

I like dialogue-driven television, so I appreciated the vibe of the episode, but it had some pacing issues and strange characterization on Walt's part. It was OK.

What was the strange characterisation? He's revealed things before when lapsing into drug-induced states (second cell phone). I also thought the early episodes of season three were great... I mean has there ever been a TV show that hasn't occasionally dipped into ridiculousness? That's why they're TV shows. Green Light (where Walt goes to confront Ted) is the only one this season that I haven't outright loved. And I still thought it was great.

Also, I believe that Fly is the only episode of Breaking Bad I haven't seen. I rushed all three seasons in like three weeks last July in the lead up to Season 4, and I think I had to skip one to finish in time, and that was it.

It doesn't really add to the plot, so it was a good episode to pick to skip. But I'd recommend watching it if you've got a spare 45 minutes.

Best Coast
Dan Deacon
Dirty Projectors
The-Dream
Fiona Apple
Franz Ferdinand
Grizzly Bear
Guided By Voices
Here We Go Magic
Jack White
Janelle Monae
Japandroids
Liars
M. Ward
Metric
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Phoenix
Santigold
Sigur Ros
Spiritualized
Sun Kil Moon
The Tallest Man on Earth
Tyler, the Creator
The Walkmen
The XX

There damn well better be some good ones in here.

There's definitely a few in there I'm anxious/curious to hear from.

Summer onward through early fall is going to be a pretty damn good time for me music-wise, it seems :up:.

Is that Fiona Apple record actually being released? I feel like the thing has been imminent for the better part of a decade at this point.

well, all the parties involved think so- Fiona, the record label. Fiona.

What was the strange characterisation?

The obsession over the fly served a purpose, but his dogged refusal to let it go proved comical in spots, especially since that fly was probably going to drop dead in, what, a day? The fly itself served no meaning to Walt, it was just something he had to do...because he's clean and efficient? Uh, OK. I realize that it was the principle of the situation, but his rationale for it felt like a setup for a plot more than something a human being would actually do. I kept thinking to myself "my God, this is unrealistic" for about the first 20 minutes (I mean, seriously, don't they have a schedule?), and then as he grew more insane/exhausted, I started to like the episode more.

Jesse exclaiming "bitch, you got GOT" when the killed the fly made me laugh fucking hard though.

Working on a novel in my spare time. My progress:

10,026 words
41 pages
4 chapters

I've felt pretty good with the "write 4-5 pages every day and don't force yourself to do much beyond that" approach. Gives me time to flesh out plot points, character motivation, etc. in the meantime.

Those first two albums of hers hold up spectacularly.

I listened to Universal Mother again yesterday and I found it a bit of a slog aside from a few tracks.

However, I really think Faith & Courage is fantastic. A great mix of styles. It's like her Ray of Light in terms of mid/late career resurgence, if not commercially then creatively. IMO.

The obsession over the fly served a purpose, but his dogged refusal to let it go proved comical in spots, especially since that fly was probably going to drop dead in, what, a day? The fly itself served no meaning to Walt, it was just something he had to do...because he's clean and efficient? Uh, OK. I realize that it was the principle of the situation, but his rationale for it felt like a setup for a plot more than something a human being would actually do. I kept thinking to myself "my God, this is unrealistic" for about the first 20 minutes (I mean, seriously, don't they have a schedule?), and then as he grew more insane/exhausted, I started to like the episode more.

Jesse exclaiming "bitch, you got GOT" when the killed the fly made me laugh fucking hard though.

I didn't care for Fly, but then I'm not a fan of Breaking Bad's broader humor.

It's the one thing that makes me scoff at comparisons to The Wire or Mad Men for "Best Show EVAR" status.

Also amazing:

The Healing Room
Jealous
Dancing Lessons
Daddy I'm Fine
'Til I Whisper You SOmething
What Doesn't Belong To Me
The State I'm In (she didn't write this and it's poppy but great vocal)
Emma's Song

Quality album. Plus you have Brian Eno, Wyclef Jean, Dave Stewart, and Jah Wobble contributing.

However, I really think Faith & Courage is fantastic. A great mix of styles. It's like her Ray of Light in terms of mid/late career resurgence, if not commercially then creatively. IMO.

Totally agree. Haven't listened to it in ages but I really like it.

I watched my newly burned DVD of Show last night. Glorious grainy, fuzzy video and washed out colors; exactly what you would expect from a VHS rip. :love:

showbob.jpg

Honestly though, it didn't look too bad blown up on a widescreen TV, all things considered, and I even achieved pseudo-surround sound using my receiver's "stadium" setting.

Something I am really starting to notice is that I don't like it when songs fade out. It seems to me almost like a lazy way to end a song.

Listening to some new CDs while I clean.

Miike Snow = good

Ting Tings = man, what a disappointment. Their first album was really fun, with lots of catchy tunes. This is .... not.

iron yuppie said:
Something I am really starting to notice is that I don't like it when songs fade out. It seems to me almost like a lazy way to end a song.

"Oi luv I wrote this great choon bout how shitty a father you are, John, how you reckon I should end it?"

"Fuck off"

"Hey, guys, I have an idea!"

Na na na na na na naaaaaa
Na na na naaaaaa
Hey Juuuuude

"Nobody cares what you think, Ringo."

Back
Top Bottom