Random Music Talk LV: Discussing The Music We've Been Listening to and Enjoying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is Glee back? I thought it wasn't coming back till after Easter.

Hahahahaha the description of MDNA is perfect.

I don't think that makes sense. It's not like Madonna was getting old, looked around, and decided she needed to do something aimed at younger people and the clubs. She has ALWAYS targeted that demographic, and I don't see what the difference between this and Hard Candy or this and Confessions is.

I don't think that makes sense. It's not like Madonna was getting old, looked around, and decided she needed to do something aimed at younger people and the clubs. She has ALWAYS targeted that demographic, and I don't see what the difference between this and Hard Candy or this and Confessions is.

It doesn't differ from Hard Candy in the slightest. And it describes Hard Candy perfectly too. Sad record, that.

Confessions has nothing in common with either...it's aiming for a niche dance club demographic, without enlisting some big name producer (has-been, in Timbaland's case) to shoot her into the top 40.

Okay, that's fair, but the producers on MDMA aren't exactly "big name" in the sense that Pharrell Williams or Timbaland are. I mean, Martin Solveig? The Benassis? The guest stars are another matter though. Of course, she was doing that back on Bedtime Stories with Babyface.

In fact, I think it's great that she's working with William Orbit again (their tracks are pretty much the best ones), and he's not really known for much anymore outside of his work with her.

You're right, it's got a couple weeks yet until it returns. They've just been showing promos recently on TV about it, and we're discussing them, 'cause, hey, why not :p?

Oh, right. Glee's literally the only show I watch on FOX, so I haven't had any promos to reference. Sad about Quinn. She was actually becoming a more interesting character.

Okay, that's fair, but the producers on MDMA aren't exactly "big name" in the sense that Pharrell Williams or Timbaland are. I mean, Martin Solveig? The Benassis? The guest stars are another matter though. Of course, she was doing that back on Bedtime Stories with Babyface.

In fact, I think it's great that she's working with William Orbit again (their tracks are pretty much the best ones), and he's not really known for much anymore outside of his work with her.

The tracks that William Orbit clearly left his fingerprints on are very, very good.

The rest of the album is bandwagon brostep beats and braggadocio. And that's what I think is meant by her reaching for trends instead of creating them. She's not grabbing onto a big name producer, but the beats are unmistakably current. She's sounding more like Gaga all the time.

It's sad because she's in a great position, as elder stateswoman, to fuck up the mainstream and make it her own. But, like U2, she's afraid to. I doubt this album will flop as profoundly as Hard Candy, but I see her sales are beginning to flag just as they are for U2.

Just saw The Joy Formidable yesterday at Terminal 5 in New York City. Easily the best concert I've seen so far this year. The band sounded really tight and were ecstatic throughout the set. It was bassist Rhydian Dafydd's birthday, so they were all in a jovial mood.

The encore was particularly noteworthy, due to the appearance of a new and acoustic song from their upcoming sophomore release. Apparently, the whole new record was written in the middle of a massive blizzard they had in the UK this winter. To end the set, the drummer came out on stage dressed as a giant lobster. The best part was that he didn't even tell his bandmates. :lol: "Whirring" closed the set and was absolutely astounding, ending after 10 minutes with wrecked instruments.

My opinion of The Joy Formidable went way, way up after that show.

So you guys are going to think I'm a chav or something, but I just got back from the Kasabian concert and HOLY SHIT. It was awesome. For real, it was the most exciting show I've seen in years.

So you guys are going to think I'm a chav or something, but I just got back from the Kasabian concert and HOLY SHIT. It was awesome. For real, it was the most exciting show I've seen in years.

They have an album called Velociraptor. I can respect that.

Now I want to go see them when they play here. I saw them on the first album's tour and really liked the show.

You really should. And the crowd was the best I may have ever seen. Just an amazing show all around. The songs are tailor made to be played live. And they've got a swagger that's sadly missing from most bands these days. I was actually bummed when they finished. Usually I've just about seen enough by the time a band ends the set

F*cking Comcast!

I emailed them asking for a copy of my W2 because I never got it and they asked for my mailing address, so I gave it to them. They sent me back an email saying I didn't respond, so they're closing my request. I replied to their damn address request email twice more and if I don't get a response, hell in whatever form I can manage is going to rain down on them.

My 13yo sister has like five friends over. Not to mention there's a boy here (he won't stay much longer if he knows what's good for him). I have to get out of here immediately. This talk I'm overhearing is frightening. I heard the word "orgasm", and they're so fucking bitchy.

After our Cure discussion a few days ago, I'm ripping my old VHS tape of Show. I had forgotten how shitty VHS was.

Wow, I was just listening to the CD of Show today in my car. Forgot that there are like 7-8 songs from Wish on this album. Pretty ballsy, even if they released the companion live disc Paris for the older fans.

I must be the only Cure fan in the world who prefers Wish to Disintegration. The latter has more atmosphere but the former just has a lot more intensity and unbridled emotion (both joyous and angry). Open, Cut, Doing The Unstuck, High, To The Edge of the Deep Green Sea, Trust, A Letter To Elise, even the pop majesty of Friday I'm In Love. These are all great songs.

My 13yo sister has like five friends over.

...as GAF books a flight to Perth...

I must be the only Cure fan in the world who prefers Wish to Disintegration.

Probably. But you know, I have absolutely no issue with the album. It's a perfectly competent record with some high peaks. But I maintain that it's one of the first Cure records without some personal identity of its own: I think of it as their Guero. It has a number of styles and sounds from different parts of their career, and that became a trend after this, to weak results. For now though, I totally dig what they're doing, and most of the specific songs you mentioned.

I'm finally listening to the closet mix of Velvet Underground. I'm not sure I prefer it. In general, an emphasis on Lou Reed's vocals isn't a good thing, and there's such wonderful band interplay on the album that gets buried in this mix. The buried guitar solo in What Goes On is among the most egregious flaws. I like the more upfront harmonies in Candy Says though...and it's nice to hear some elements that I missed on the first 30 listens. I probably won't go back to it though.

I'm just about ready to say Velvet Underground has usurped White Light/White Heat as my favorite Velvet Underground album, but that will probably change the next time I listen to the latter. Awesome band.

Sad about Quinn. She was actually becoming a more interesting character

Did I just enter the random music thread at 6 a.m. and run into a spoiler about my second favorite character on Glee dying?

Jesus fucking christ.

Did you tell them you want them? Did you tell them you need them?

Oh Long Johnson

BreadCat-600x450.jpg

F*cking Comcast!

I emailed them asking for a copy of my W2 because I never got it and they asked for my mailing address, so I gave it to them. They sent me back an email saying I didn't respond, so they're closing my request. I replied to their damn address request email twice more and if I don't get a response, hell in whatever form I can manage is going to rain down on them.

do they have an online option. my employer does.

Did I just enter the random music thread at 6 a.m. and run into a spoiler about my second favorite character on Glee dying?

Jesus fucking christ.

if you feel that bridge has already been crossed, a clarification about the most recent Glee episode in the spoiler box:

actually, no she's not necessarily dead, but for the midseason cliffhanger she was hit by a truck while driving

Back
Top Bottom