Random Music Talk LV: Discussing The Music We've Been Listening to and Enjoying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Danny Boy said:
I'm trying to listen to this Alabama Shakes album, but I just can't get past the singer's voice. It sounds like Chris Robinson doing a bad impression of Janis Joplin.

Racist.

Seriously great album, I think her voice is a powerhouse though personally.

She's the only black member of an otherwise completely white band, and the influences you described are also white.

It was a joke. :wink:

It's a brief listen, so it's got that going for it.

Not sure I want to compare them to Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings (they sound as much like Black Crowes as they do Aretha), but they gave me the same jolt of excitement. Really hope Lolla ends up booking them, as had been rumored. It's going to be my only chance to see their live show for a while.

What do you guys think of Psyence Fiction by UNKLE? I'd only heard Rabbit In Your Headlights, but once I learned DJ Shadow was behind the boards for the whole album, I figured it was worth a shot. It's not exactly great, but it's very enjoyable. I wish it were all hip-hop (instrumental or otherwise), because it starts off with a bang, only to lose me with the endless Richard Ashcroft track. I usually like him, but the Badly Drawn Boy song sucks too. Mike D is also on the album for whatever reason, doing his Beastie Boys thing over what sounds like a DJ Shadow remix of a Cure track. Weird shit.

The 9.8 Pitchfork gave it is hilarious. They must have just seen Thom Yorke's name on the track listing and issued it a score.

Just got pulled over on the way home, for the first time ever. Nabbed doing 115km/h in a 100km/h zone at 10:51pm on a Friday night, on a four-lane highway, on a stretch of road where the nearest car to me was at least 500 metres away. Haven't been drinking, in complete control of the car, not endangering anyone or anything.

$244 and three demerit points.

What a shit way to end Good Friday.

Or what khan said.

I don't buy the Resurrection story :shh:

Feeling a little better now as I'm watching the live DVD that came in my Bitches Brew box set.

cobl04 said:
Just got pulled over on the way home, for the first time ever. Nabbed doing 115km/h in a 100km/h zone at 10:51pm on a Friday night, on a four-lane highway, on a stretch of road where the nearest car to me was at least 500 metres away. Haven't been drinking, in complete control of the car, not endangering anyone or anything.

I'm totally picturing the opening scene from Mad Max.

Any cop that pulls you over for doing 15km over on a 100km/hr highway is an asshole. 115km/hr is the average flow of traffic speed on highways. It's generally accepted that you can go that speed without getting pulled over. Fuck that guy

I don't buy the Resurrection story :shh:

I was going to say that you should watch Jesus Christ Superstar, because seriously, watching dirty hippies dancing and singing in the desert will make you believe anything ...

... but then remembered that they don't cover anything after the crucifixion. The hippies just all get into a bus and go home.9

It's my one Good Friday tradition: blast the shit out of Jesus Christ Superstar.

I need to get that on DVD one of these days so I can watch it, even though I prefer the original recording.

Once on a Good Friday I attended a lecture that was a detailed account of how one dies from crucifixion.

Basically if you are hanging from your arms you can't move an adequate volume of air and you will eventually asphyxiate. In order to breathe you have to push yourself up with your legs, which of course have nails through them. The victim eventually becomes exhausted or can't tolerate the pain any longer and gives in to the asphyxiation.

Cruel and unusual punishment for sure.

I read an article about that some years ago. It was in Scientific American or something. Fascinating and horrifying.

Back
Top Bottom