Random Music Talk LIX: (but doesn't suck)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Multi-quote? What's that?

OK, I have to ask. How did you previously think donuts were cooked?

Next time you're in the states, you need to visit a Krispy Kreme so you can watch the donuts float by in the giant vat of oil.
This. On both counts.

How about those who don't know who the fuck Christigau is, but thinks his name sounds pretentious?

The self-proclaimed "Dean of Rock Critics". That should tell you enough.

Only go to Krispy Kreme if the big sign is lit that indicates that oh yes, they are indeed hot and fresh.

If they're not and fresh, they're really nothing special.

Thanks for the Hugh guy info ... I was pleasantly surprised by his appearance on the track; thought it worked really well.

If any of you find out what planet redhill is living on, please let me know.

This comment from him made my day: "Do you have any dignity as a man?" I haven't laughed so hard in a long while. I think we can all agree that there is absolutely no dignity to be had in posting on the internet. :lol:

Yes, that was quite a gem.

At long last sir, have you left any sense of dignity?????

I'm listening to The Unforgettable Fire. But I can't enjoy it, because I'm mad that U2 refuses to own their shit from the 90s ... or something!

This comment from him made my day: "Do you have any dignity as a man?" I haven't laughed so hard in a long while. I think we can all agree that there is absolutely no dignity to be had in posting on the internet. :lol:

Yes, that was quite a gem.

At long last sir, have you left any sense of dignity?????

I'm listening to The Unforgettable Fire. But I can't enjoy it, because I'm mad that U2 refuses to own their shit from the 90s ... or something!

What?!?!?!

My entire sense of self worth is based on my internet postings and various victories in online debates about vitally important topics.

I am devastated. :sad:

Every time I comment in this thread and no one responds, a part of my soul dies.

Stop giving me such a slow and pitiful death, guys.

Thanks, man. I will write you a poem all about my rekindled soul and junk. Then I'll post it in redhill's thread. :)

Also, you asked for it. Robert Christgau Quote of the Day!

(from his Frank Sinatra obituary)

Pop is a cornucopia and a continuum. Either way, most of the music I adore is rock and roll. But not all of it. And none of it excludes any of the rest. So when a savvy young critic praises Sinatra for delivering her from punk's canon of authenticity, I feel sad. When a broadly experienced older critic uses Sinatra's genius to bewail the impersonality of contemporary pop, I pray my arteries hold up. Either-or is for Sidney Zion. I want the world and I want it now.

Many claim they don't identify with Frank Sinatra--they just bask in his artistry. But that's not how singing works. Sinatra the man's gruesome amalgam of confidence and insecurity was configured in his so-called pitch problems--the way every line he sings seems to waver slightly as he holds it firmly in the grip of his technique. More than anything else, it was the ambivalence built into his certainty that made him the century's quintessential voice for so many of us. And it was the intelligence built into his body that made him just right for any rock and roller with a grain of sensibility.

I'm going to post this in here because I think it rude to shit on a band in a band specific thread, but I find Lotus Plaza to be mind numbingly boring. I just can't get behind a band that borrows so heavily from someone else's scene without contributing anything new. I probably would've dug it 20 years ago.
We've got a band in Canada that everyone is going on about called The Sheep Dogs, but they do the exact same thing. They sound like a Doobie Brothers cover band or something and add nothing new to the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_5q0n2mDR8

yaaaaaaaawn

Is it necessary for it to add something new? It's pretty debatable as to how many of the popular indie bands of today actually sound fresh and new, at least to these ears. A far as Lotus Plaza is concerned, the hooks are there, and that's good enough for me.

Is it necessary for it to add something new?

I'd say that if you're going back to a sound that has already run it's course, then yes, it is necessary. Otherwise you're just piggybacking off a stagnant genre. It also comes across as a little parasitic

But when it sounds like you're just aping the old bands, you might as well just do covers

Aping what old bands? I can't think of any of any plagiarizations so egregious that they're worth bringing up. If it's just similarities you're concerned with, I suppose there should only be one band per genre/scene.

I've only listened to the album once, and I liked it on that first listen. Haven't bought it yet to play it more, but I did find a used copy of their previous album and picked it up figuring I'd like that one.

Now THAT one's boring. I hope I'll still like the latest when I eventually get around to picking it up.

You know what album I really like? Tired Pony. Gary Lightbody, Peter Buck .... and some other people. It's really good. I picked it up not expecting very much, but what a nice surprise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOUI4gg1MAs&feature=related

Don't really care for Lotus Plaza's debut at the moment. It's chill and agreeable, but Spooky Action is so assured and well written.

Is The Floodlight Collective their debut? That's the one I found, not sure how many they have.

I picked up a used copy at Sonic Boom, my awesome neighborhood music store. Love that place.

I suppose there should only be one band per genre/scene.

No, there's a difference between being part of a scene and ripping off the sound of a scene 20 years later. Even the vocal treatment sounds like they hit the 'sound like stone roses' button on their mixer

Jive Turkey said:
No, there's a difference between being part of a scene and ripping off the sound of a scene 20 years later

Who cares?

Unless you're allbecauseofu2, you're aware that bands do this every 20 years. They grow up and start playing the music they liked when they were younger.

It's just too similar for me to care about it. You could argue that Fleet Foxes are playing music of a bygone era, but they still sound fresh. Lotus Plaza is stale. They even throw in little background vocals that sound exactly like the Stone Roses. Listen to This is the One by Stone Roses and tell me that Monoliths doesn't sound like a gyp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom