Random Music Talk LIV: A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy (and Mac & Cheese)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, please! Send it my way if you get the chance. Here, or Facebook, or whatever, whenever.

Thanks! :)

Will do, as soon as I figure out how to write it, LOL. It's a recipe I made up.

EDIT: OK, sent. I hope it makes sense. If not, send it back and I'll fix it.

u2popmofo said:
While we're on the subject of unnatural food abominations, has anyone tried those Doritos tacos at Taco Bell? I don't think I've been there in years, but for some reason am intrigued.

I got a regular beef burrito there and the kid I was working with got the Doritos one, but they put them on opposite wrappers, so he ate my burrito while complaining they screwed it up and when I bit into mine it crunched. They're awful. But I thought they were spicey fritos, not doritos. Either way, no bueno.

u2popmofo said:
One of my friends was telling me Taco Bell had/has a burrito with Fritos in it as well. I guess this isn't their first item with chips as an ingredient.

Oh, I guess I should have kept reading before I started replying.

While we're on the subject of unnatural food abominations, has anyone tried those Doritos tacos at Taco Bell? I don't think I've been there in years, but for some reason am intrigued.
i want to try it. it's gonna be hard to though, i always get the cheesy gordita crunch. it hasn't been on the menu in years, but the taco bell by my parents' place still makes them if you order one.

One of my friends was telling me Taco Bell had/has a burrito with Fritos in it as well. I guess this isn't their first item with chips as an ingredient.
i don't remember this one, but i remember sonic has (had?) a fritos pie that involved i think fritos, chili, cheese, and maybe onions.

Taco Bell is without a doubt the shittiest of all the major fast food chains.

Just godawful.

Mexican food is by large pretty cheap and unhealthy to begin with; they take it to a whole other level.

At least here in Los Angeles there's Del Taco (only slightly better) and El Pollo Loco (much better) as alternatives. Or you can take a step up to Baja Fresh, Qdoba, or the be-all-end-all of fast food, Chipotle, which really is in a league of its own.

god i love baja fresh. i wish there were any in memphis. i tried qdoba and didn't like it though, and it looks like they finally got one chipotle. next time i'm in town i might finally get to try it.

though really if i want mexican, i go to a mexican restaurant. taco bell's only for 2 am when everything else is closed, and i don't want fucking mcdonald's.

corianderstem said:
When Whole Foods finally opened up near my neighborhood, I went a few times, but man, the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

Too expensive.

martha said:
I was going to mention Annie's, but Laz beat me to it. I love it.

Fresh and Easy just opened up one of their Neighborhood Markets right by us. They are quite expensive. I do love my Trader Joe's.

And, Del Taco kicks Taco Bell's ass all day, every time. Taco John's, though, has these delicious little potato balls. They make Great Falls, Montana, a good place.

Potato balls as in fried, corn meal coated potato and meat balls? Cos those things are the shit. There's a puerto rican bakery here that does those, and they're fantastic (and will probably be the death of me). Like portable shepard's pie.

There's only one Mexican take-away place I really like here - as in I'd go out of my way a bit to eat there, but Mexican food hasn't quite delved into the realm of drive-through joints popping up all over suburbia in Australia.

We've got a local place that makes killer burritos the size of small children. I've had a few people tell me they like chipotle better. I've never had chipotle I am inclined to think theyre crazy. BBQ chicken or grilled zucchini, and fresh cilantro ftw.

Excellent clip selection, particularly since her debut album's title is an AD reference.

WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS

Anyone wanna talk about vegan food? :hyper:

Let's do it.

When Whole Foods finally opened up near my neighborhood, I went a few times, but man, the novelty wore off pretty quickly.

At the risk of GAF calling me a pompous faux-aristocrat again, I know the CEO of Whole Foods. Interesting in the sense that he openly denounces three-quarters of the stuff that the store sells. He believes that he is going to live to be 130 or something like that.

And, Del Taco kicks Taco Bell's ass all day, every time. Taco John's, though, has these delicious little potato balls.

The one time that I had Del Taco - in Utah, I believe - whatever they gave me was repulsive. But I shouldn't judge the whole chain by that one incident. There did seem to be one of them every couple miles in that state, though.

I have a killer recipe, if ever you're interested.

There is a very simple Italian recipe for pasta and cheese that is fabulous. It just takes some noodles, a bit of cheese, black pepper, and pasta water.

Mexican food is by large pretty cheap and unhealthy to begin with; they take it to a whole other level.

Taco Bell is a guilty pleasure of mine, as they have a wide array of vegetarian selections. I too am not terribly fond of Mexican food, as it usually feels extremely heavy. Now living in a neighborhood with a great deal of Hispanic influence, though, I've found that the authentic stuff is actually quite a bit different - and better - than the "Tex Mex" style that predominates in most of the US.

Mexican food has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever, which is probably why Mexicans are universally short and often fat as shit.

CHIPOTLE NOT TERRIBLE. Grass-fed animals without hormones, green leafy lettuce, brown rice option.

Can't really ask for more w/r/t fast food, especially Mexican. And Chipotle just opened a new Asian-themed place in DC, hoping to see that make its way to the west coast.

I really need to buy a copy of Rumours. I've wanted to for a long time.

Everyone needs a copy of Rumours. What an incredible album that was.

Just godawful.

At least here in Los Angeles there's Del Taco (only slightly better) and El Pollo Loco (much better) as alternatives. Or you can take a step up to Baja Fresh, Qdoba, or the be-all-end-all of fast food, Chipotle, which really is in a league of its own.

My rule is I only go to Taco Bell on Cinco de Mayo. It's processed Americanized Mexican food on an Americanized Mexican holiday.

My new favorite casual Mexican restaurant is FreeBirds. They are just now starting to open in LA, and their burritos are amazing.

Topic. In my pre Coachella research, I stumbled upon Fanfarlo. Lovely little Arcade Fire sounding band. I'm really looking forward to seeing them.

Fanfarlo | The Walls Are Coming Down - YouTube

I was actually just talking to someone on FB yesterday who posted about Freebirds.

Next time I'm near USC I'll have to check it out. The other locations seem to be on the outskirts of the city.

Speaking of Freebirds, and the Lynyrd Skynyrd song "Free Bird", my favorite response by an on-stage musician to an idiot yelling "FREE BIRD!" at a rock concert is when Cris Kirkwood from the Meat Puppets, at Nirvana's Unplugged session, said "I've got a Free Bird for you right here" and gave the idiot in the crowd the middle finger.

Probably not the first person to do that but, yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom