Random Music Talk LIV: A Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy (and Mac & Cheese)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and when I had a Guinness in Ireland, I seriously could not tell the difference between one here and one over there. Not that I drink that much of it here, but I was expecting a radical difference.

I drank Bullmer's cider almost exclusively while there.

I consider myself Irish only in the sense that I still have family that lives there. But as my late night post was trying to convey, it doesn't matter because I'm American.

People don't usually recognize me as Irish anyway, since I'm not violently pale and freckly.

I consider myself Irish only in the sense that I still have family that lives there. But as my late night post was trying to convey, it doesn't matter because I'm American.

Some would beg to differ.

002gon_daniel_day_lewis_007.jpg

Oh, I knew that - that's why I wanted to stress that I was not trying to make some passive-aggressive jab at you. :)

I want to go to the local Irish Fest, but not only is it raining, but at times it's been mixed with snow.

March in Seattle has certainly sucked so far.

Also, my car is with stereo again. BLISS.

Oh, and when I had a Guinness in Ireland, I seriously could not tell the difference between one here and one over there. Not that I drink that much of it here, but I was expecting a radical difference.

I drank Bullmer's cider almost exclusively while there.

I remember reading an article or something somewhere once where the guy in charge of the company was like, A Guinness in Ireland is exactly the same as a Guinness in America. They're bottled in the same place, the same way at the same time. People just get it in their head that one in Ireland is somehow better.

I dunno, I heard a lot in Ireland about how it doesn't travel well. And there's a place in Africa (Nigeria, maybe?) where Guinness is hugely popular, and because it's such a long ways to travel, it's made differently, extra strong to survive the journey or something like that.

Also, as I understand, it makes a huge difference in how it's poured from the tap, and in most US bars, they don't pour it properly. It has to rest halfway or something like that.

I don't think bottled Guinness factors into the "tastes different" thing. I'd guess the bottled stuff tastes the same wherever you are, maybe?

Just watched Breaking Bad ep "One Minute". After pacing the house for a few minutes once it ended, I'm still shaking. The last five minutes very nearly sent me into cardiac arrest. Holy shit.

One Minute is one of the best episodes on the show. Even with some parts of that breathtaking final sequence being somewhat nonsensical
(bad guy not pulling the trigger in the crucial moment and wanting to finish Hank off with an axe, which did produce an inevitable MEH)
, both Aaron Paul's and Dean Norris' performances make that episode as one of the easy highlights of the show's run. No one can do nerve-wracking tension as good as Vince Gilligan.

This Cowboy Junkies album Joyful recommended to me is excellent. Way more low-key and spare than I was looking for at the moment (it's practically the country version of The XX in spots), but that's really its charm. Lots of solid songwriting and GORGEOUS production here. I also love the singer's voice. Maybe it's a little long and not something I'll want to listen to all the time, but I'm glad it's a part of my life now.

djerdap said:
One Minute is one of the best episodes on the show. Even with some parts of that breathtaking final sequence being somewhat nonsensical * SPOILER *, both Aaron Paul's and Dean Norris' performances make that episode as one of the easy highlights of the show's run. No one can do nerve-wracking tension as good as Vince Gilligan.

Dean Norris has become star of the show for me. His acting this season has been jaw-dropping.

I would like to echo martha's comment about "In A Lifetime" :up: :yes:.

I want to go to the local Irish Fest, but not only is it raining, but at times it's been mixed with snow.

March in Seattle has certainly sucked so far.

Also, my car is with stereo again. BLISS.

Wanna trade? It's been ridiculously warm for this time of year where I live, and while I do like sunny, 70 some degree weather in, say, May, it's really uncomfortable in mid-March. Or maybe my apartment's just unusually warm or something. But I'm sitting here wearing a tank top this early in the year, and that's just bizarre to me. I want my rain/snow stuff back.

I know. I'm weird :p.

Also, woo for having stereo back in your car!

Never thought I'd hear the Seattle Symphony playing an arrangement of Muse's "Endlessly," but it was pretty boss. Renee Fleming is the fricking bomb. (not the Irish kind)

I really want to hear this.

Someone is really rocking out to "Fix You" outside my apartment. Must be one hell of a party.

cobl04 said:
I'm coming next year.

I'd highly recommend it. I actually went to a showcase this afternoon with all Australian bands. Will tweet you and see if you recognize any of them.

Unfortunately Gambino broke his foot and couldn't make the party I went to a couple nights ago. Got on my Santigold shit there at least.

lazarus said:
What happened to the Murphy's?

You gotta get some Irish in you before midnight, buddy.

Home. Wanted to at least say I went out.

Murphy's, gin and absinthe wait at home with some shitty horror movies (no offense, Ashley). It's gonna be a night.

I made shepherd's pie from scratch tonight and I'm drinking cheap red wine. Par-tay.

My major accomplishment for today was migrating my iTunes library to an external drive, because my internal drive was totally full. I actually migrated to a 1TB mirrored RAID 1 array so my library is safe if there's a crash. I think I managed to pull it off without losing any files or fucking up my playlists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom