Random Music Talk LIII: Even more fun than the last thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PhilsFan said:
I am finally at break, so I am going to start listening to good music that has been released in 2012. What's good to eat at the B&C these days?

Dismemberment Plan

PhilsFan said:
I am finally at break, so I am going to start listening to good music that has been released in 2012. What's good to eat at the B&C these days?

Ty the new magnetic fields. Not sure what you know of the band, for all i know you hate them. And while id hate to encourage cobbleresque listening habits by telling you to check out the new one with a sparse knowledge of the back catalog, the new one is oh so good.

Although I guess it's technically not out til Tuesday?

I wanted to know as well - I thought TVLand, but it doesn't look like they're doing it.

Google says "Antenna TV," but I don't know what the hell that is. What the hell channel is Antenna TV?

Edit: Oh, I do get Antenna TV. Whatever it is!

Martha, go here to see if you have it as well:

Antenna TV Channel Finder - Antenna TV

We do get Antenna. We watch it sometimes when Batman is on. POW!

Thanks.

Maybe you guys can help me here. I used to play this computer game years and years ago but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called. It was a strategic game. From memory you had to take the lead character through mazes on each level, but there were always obstacles or changed conditions. Like ice, and if you stepped on the ice you went flying along it, as opposed to one step. And that's about all I can remember.

My friends are astounded that I can recognize the background music when they are not even aware that there's music playing at all. "I love this song!" "I can't even hear it!" is a frequent exchange in my life.

Me too. And I get pissed off because I have an epiphany and my mood picks up considerably, and they just continue on eating as if it's no big deal.

I just had to buy a ticket using Ticketmaster/LiveNation for the first time in years. What is this fuckery? A Rolling Stone subscription I have to send in rebate shit for if I don't want? $15.59 in fees? Ugh.

U2 cost me like $25 in fees. Disgusting.

Songs will frequently distract me from movies, or a movie being discussed at a later time will not be "the one with that guy in it" when I can't remember the name, but "the one with that song in it."

Monster distracted me from The Hangover 2.

PhilsFan said:
I know nothing of Magnetic Fields or Dismemberment Plan.

I was partially joking recommending Dismemberment Plan, since they haven't released an album in 11 years. But I absolutely think you would love their music (this goes for Cobbler also). I was introduced to them by Laz and Scumbo, who are also big fans. I never want to say a single band changed my life or anything, but I can't think of one I've spent more time enjoying over the past year. Dismemberment Plan has some qualities in common with the National, especially on their last album, Change, in that they mix moodiness and thoughtful lyricism with the occasional face-melting rocker that takes you by surprise and occupies your brain for days. That album also has some interesting math rock leanings thanks to drummer Joe Easley, who might be the only drummer that can keep up with Devendorf. Emergency & I is an even better album, loaded with indie rock classics. That album is as danceable as it is devastating. And then, of course, there's their skill for writing songs about being drunk/depressed:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p5dt_tJsqLc

Seriously, if you don't like that song, you're either not human, or you're 13 years old. The storyline is far too relatable not to connect with otherwise.

Magnetic Fields are a tremendous band, but I'm less certain that you'll love them. Stephen Merritt is one of the best songwriters around, he seems to churn out a handful of great, offbeat folk songs about love lost/found nightly, and pairs them with bizarre imagery to keep it from being too saccharine, but they have their twee moments, and their lo-fi synth sound isn't for everyone. Listen to Get Lost or Holiday (about 35-40 minutes each) and make up your own mind before tackling their aptly-titled 69 Love Songs opus or their new album Love At The Bottom of the Sea, which is a neat little throwback to those two classics I recommended.

As far as 2012 goes, the new Lotus Plaza is tremendous, as is Andrew Bird's new one. That was a nice surprise right there. I recall you enjoying Shearwater in the past, and Animal Joy is a stunner you can't miss. Also, we've been talking a lot about Grimes, and I can recommend Visions as well. Cobbler and I are both all about Lambchop's new release, if you're into something very quiet and folksy, although I think Sharon Van Etten's album might be even stronger in that regard. Shins hasn't leaked yet, but we all know that will rule when it does.

Hope that helps.

HOLY SHIT!!! :ohmy: YES IT IS!! How did you know?? Do you know how many fucking years I've been trying to figure this out?!!!!!!

When Danny Boy posted that video game cover a few pages ago, I couldn't read the title, but my brain decided it was a super awesome sequel to Chip's Challenge. That put the idea of the game in my head, then it kind of freaked me out when you actually mentioned the game a few pages later :lol:.

It was one of my favorite games as a kid, I played the hell out of it on my aunt's computer. I always imagined it was supposed to be a video game version of Chip's :lol:

chips-1.jpg

chipschallenge.jpg

I kid you not, I just heard a professional commentator call a player for Cleveland State's Men's team a "hot mess".

You must not have clicked on it. It's a link to two Daft Punk albums rendered in glorious 8-bit chip music.

I thought it looked like Daft Punk! That's awesome. I was on my phone when you posted it, so I didn't notice it was a link.

I just had to buy a ticket using Ticketmaster/LiveNation for the first time in years. What is this fuckery? A Rolling Stone subscription I have to send in rebate shit for if I don't want? $15.59 in fees? Ugh.
yeah, i hate them. they also just postponed a show i was supposed to see yesterday because of bad weather (which didn't really happen so i wish they hadn't announced it the day before the show, idiots) and now i can't attend it. in this case, i can't get my fees refunded? wtf? it isn't my fault they changed the date, especially when they picked a date when other shit's going on in the city.

the closest thing to this i've had happen is a show get cancelled the day of but since it was a cancellation i got a full refund. you bet i'll be disputing the charges of those fees.

For those of you who frequent FYM, what percentage of the posts in that forum would you say deal with abortion in some way? Over or under 90%?

It's really not that lopsided. If you think about it, it's always the same handful of topics (homosexual marriage, abortion, global climate change) that get run into the ground in any forum, and FYM is no different. Whatever gets people riled up. And, as I so often mention, this trolling approach to discourse is what I hate about politics. Nobody cares about the good of society, it's just a bunch of ego-stroking and party line bullshit, on FYM and everywhere else. The cliques they form in FYM (roughly based on political inclination) prevent basically any constructive discussion from happening.

That "infantcide" thread in FYM has the potential to give me a real headache. I may just start sitting the rest of that one out.

Franz Ferdinand: Lucid Dreams. Quite the awesome song.

:heart: LOVE that song. One of the best off Tonight.

I also adore "Send Him Away" from there, too. Has a real '60s, sorta Zombies-ish type of quality to it. There's talk/rumor that they're supposed to have something new come out this year-I hope so, I'll happily give it a listen.

YES :up:. That has always been one of my favorite videos ever. And the song's fantastic, too. I only know a few Fatboy Slim songs, but I do quite like what I know.

Back
Top Bottom