Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You spelled cunt wrong... But since he's not around for a couple weeks, I don't think it's fair we call him names yet

JT, once again you are a crazy son of a bitch.

tnK07.gif

You bastards. Cori asked me a question and I put a lot of thought into my response and then you go and switch the threads on me. I'm bringing this over from the last one.

So did they ever actually break up? Are they on hiatus while they go do their solo things?

Not too clear right now. They still have something like three albums left on their record contract, so I would guess something will happen.

Many rumors have circulated.

Whenever any of them is interviewed, even if they're promoting their solo stuff or another project, the interviewer ALWAYS ends with a final "So, I know you get asked this all the time...but when are the Girls getting back together?!?"

Nicola, Kimberley, and Cheryl are invariably super gung-ho about it and they say something like "Soon, I hope! I'd love to! We can't wait!"

(This is not a surprise because they always were and always will be the three coolest and sweetest members of the group.)

Sarah...nobody knows what she's doing. There are rumors about rehab. She was known as "the drunk one" in Girls Aloud and the biggest partier.

But the biggest wild card is Nadine. She was always kind of the outsider. Never quite as close as the other members. (Nic, Kimba, and Cheryl are still great friends and hang out and keep in contact...which warms my heart). Nadine is off in Los Angeles doing her restaurant/hotel owner stuff and trying to get her solo career off the ground and doing god knows what with her fine ass and her adorable accent.

This is their 10 year anniversary, so the prevailing thought is that something will happen this year. Whether it's a full album, or even just a comeback single, or a tour, nobody knows really. There were rumors of them reuniting to perform at the opening ceremonies of the London Olympics this summer which would have been fucking EPIC, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

If I had to guess, I'd say there's about a 95% chance that they get back together and do something at some point. And there's also a chance that Nadine might not even be involved when they do. I don't know. I can't wait to find out.

Hey Gaf, ever hear the Arctic Monkeys cover that Girls Aloud song?

No, I never did hear my favorite rock band of the last 15 years covering a song by my favorite pop group ever.

Fuck's sake, man, you're amateur. Do not take me for some conjurer of cheap tricks.

Welcome to 2006, jive turkey. The water's nice.

Haha, Laz, man, you are killing it over in the Rate The Song "Discotheque" thread. I love it. Good work, sir.

Thanks, GAF! I don't know much about them other than their names (well, most of their names), their songs, and that they were the winner of the first Pop Idol (I think).

I like Arctic Monkeys' cover of Amy Winehouse's You Know I'm No Good.

I'm seeing them and the Black Keys in about a month. Gonna rock out. There will be lots of loud guitars and enthusiastic rock drumming on that stage that night.

Okay, so I just randomly found out Renee Fleming is singing with the Seattle Symphony next month, and I'm going even though I'm not all that into opera and art songs and whatnot because I'm reading her book and enjoying it immensely. I've never actually been to any concerts at the symphony hall (although my choir has sung there a few times, what what!), and just decided to buy a ticket because hey, what lovely timing.

This is what she'll be singing. I only noticed the Death Cab song at first, then I noticed the Muse song. HA. Awesome. (Oddly, Hallelujah on the list didn't make me bat an eye.)

Saint-Saëns: "Danse Bacchanale" from Samson and Delilah**
Ravel: Shéhérazade
Gounod: Jewel Song from Faust
Ricky Ian Gordon: “Night Flight to San Francisco”
Gershwin: Girl Crazy Overture**
Bellamy/Howard/Wolstenholme: “Endlessly”
Leonard Cohen: “Hallelujah”
Benjamin Gibbard: “Soul Meets Body”
Offenbach: Overture to Orpheus in the Underworld**
Franz Lehár: Vilja-Lied from Die Lustige Witwe
Korngold: Marietta’s Lied from Die Tote Stadt

The Wanderer is a very underrated U2 song.

I hope I get to see an Arctic Monkeys/Black Keys show next month like the Gaf Man.

I am tired of Braydon Coburn.

Okay, so I just randomly found out Renee Fleming is singing with the Seattle Symphony next month, and I'm going even though I'm not all that into opera and art songs and whatnot because I'm reading her book and enjoying it immensely. I've never actually been to any concerts at the symphony hall (although my choir has sung there a few times, what what!), and just decided to buy a ticket because hey, what lovely timing.

This is what she'll be singing. I only noticed the Death Cab song at first, then I noticed the Muse song. HA. Awesome. (Oddly, Hallelujah on the list didn't make me bat an eye.)

Saint-Saëns: "Danse Bacchanale" from Samson and Delilah**
Ravel: Shéhérazade
Gounod: Jewel Song from Faust
Ricky Ian Gordon: “Night Flight to San Francisco”
Gershwin: Girl Crazy Overture**
Bellamy/Howard/Wolstenholme: “Endlessly”
Leonard Cohen: “Hallelujah”
Benjamin Gibbard: “Soul Meets Body”
Offenbach: Overture to Orpheus in the Underworld**
Franz Lehár: Vilja-Lied from Die Lustige Witwe
Korngold: Marietta’s Lied from Die Tote Stadt

Just thinking about Soul Meets Body makes me want to punch Ben Gibbard in the glasses. I don't even have to hear it anymore.

I'm trying to hear an "art song" version of it in Renee Fleming's voice, and I'm just kind of giggling.

But I can easily hear how Endlessly might sound in my head. Ha.

I liked that Arctic Monkeys cover :up:. The guitar bit in the middle was pretty badass-sorta Bond-ish.

Interesting that you say that. Alex Turner, the lead songwriter of the band, is a huge James Bond fan.

And a lot of critics and fans stated that they thought his side-project, The Last Shadow Puppets, sounded like James Bond theme music.

Interesting that you say that. Alex Turner, the lead songwriter of the band, is a huge James Bond fan.

And a lot of critics and fans stated that they thought his side-project, The Last Shadow Puppets, sounded like James Bond theme music.

Well, there we go, then :).

I kinda like Bond-themed music. I'll have to check the Shadow Puppets stuff out then, too, it seems.

Back
Top Bottom