Random Music Talk LII: No Cobbler, No Cry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listening to Modern Life is Rubbish right now, hearing Oily Water when I saw Blur has got to be one of the coolest concert experiences I've had. How fucking random for them to play that song, and it's an amazing one.

I really like Modern Life Is Rubbish. Some seriously catchy shit on that album. What a great band.

A) what happened to Macca's voice?

The one and only positive I took from his new album was just how much better his voice sounded then in the last few live performances I've seen from him. When he performed a song from it that night, I said the same thing. Then he sang a Beatles song and his voice just sounded like shit again. I don't really know what the deal is there.

Randomly was looking at comments on Last FM about the new Shearwater album / songs, and came across someone with this avatar:

67456636.png

:)

Ha!

Someone gave me a copy of the Paul McCartney album (a guy I'm friendly with at work has a friend in the department who deals with the music/CDs in the stores).

I'm skeptical of it because we do not need another aging pop star's version of ye olde standards, but I actually kind of liked the song he sang on the Grammys. Will have to check it out.

He also gave me a copy of the Dylan covers, and I was really disappointed. I didn't even bother making it through both discs. I'll stick with the I'm Not There soundtrack, thanks. (What the hell was with Mick Hucknall's Dylan impersonation? That weirded me out.)

As I said before, the hightlight of McCartney's album is his glorious rendition of Inchworm.

Besides, I had never heard of him until Sunday night.

He was the drummer in the Rolling Stones, right?

Back in the 70s, a younger coworker came up to my aunt and said "Did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings????"

Ha.

Back in the 70s, a younger coworker came up to my aunt and said "Did you know Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings????"

Ha.

It's always refreshing when someone points out that every generation has oblivious people in it.

Ha.

I still remember the day I realized Paul, John, and George were all in the Beatles (didn't know any ringo solo stuff). I was about 6 or 7 and heard When We Was Fab on the car radio... I asked my Dad if he was saying "Long time ago when we was fat" and he explained to me what the song was about. My mind was blown. It was the first time the 'olden days' ever encroached into my life.

Yeah, young people without exposure to/knowledge of musical history have always been around. Now they just have 18,264 forms of social media on which to express their ignorance.

There is no need for panic. NO NEED.

I'm sure even in 1853, some mother clutched their pearls when their child said "The fuck is a Mozart, darling mother?"

Ball so hard.

Please tell me you're misspelling "bawl." Because that would be awesome.

I don't know why the who the fuck is Paul McCartney meme is funny. Is this an ironic callback to last year's Arcade Fire meme, or are people legitimately confused? I've learned not to underestimate stupidity.

I thought the Who Is Bon Iver was a callback to Arcade Fire (which makes sense). I'm not sure whether to believe the Paul McCartney one or not.

I mean, I'm sure people said that, but I don't know if I believe they were honestly unaware, or if they just wanted to get included in an internet meme. Probably a little of both.

Also, I can't wait for someone to post a terrible opinion about a U2 song in the rating threads, because I have the best gif to use in response.

Where would some 14 year old hear about the Beatles, though? Let's say they aren't passionate about music (which would inspire them to seek out stuff that's not on the radio). Let's say their parents aren't big music lovers, so they're not going to hear it from them. They're certainly not going to hear the Beatles on whatever "hot jams" radio station they probably listen to, and they're not going to see it on MTV.

I don't find it too depressing, because of that. Kids who love (or will later find their love of) music will discover stuff on their own time. Maybe right now some of those kids are too busy entertaining themselves by saying stupid shit on Twitter to care about music, but for some of them, someday they will be shot through the heart by the Cupid of Music, and then they'll be aces. Aces, Johnny!

Then there's probably kids who DO have music fans for parents, but some of them probably have a knee-jerk rejection of whatever their parents try to expose them to. Maybe they'll come around to it later when their automatic reaction isn't to shun anything their parents like.

I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast (dont ask. first time) and that Deadmou5 douche was on. I just don't understand how someone who should know a lot about music thought that Vanilla Ice covered The Eurythmics on Ice Ice Baby. He said something else incredibly ignorant for a musician too, but I can't remember. And he generally came off as an ass

GirlsAloudFan said:
Any parent that doesn't play Beatles albums for their young children is a bad parent.

This is more the thing.

Who the fuck is Arcade Fire was funny because the clash between hipsters and 95% of Grammy viewers is inherently hilarious. Someone not knowing who a Beatle is just kind of bums me out.

Then there's probably kids who DO have music fans for parents, but some of them probably have a knee-jerk rejection of whatever their parents try to expose them to. Maybe they'll come around to it later when their automatic reaction isn't to shun anything their parents like.

I claimed to dislike the Beatles for many years just because my Dad thought they were so cool. He's a British Invasion music fan and I must say, he listens to some cool shit

I was listening to a Joe Rogan podcast (dont ask. first time) and that Deadmou5 douche was on. I just don't understand how someone who should know a lot about music thought that Vanilla Ice covered The Eurythmics on Ice Ice Baby. He said something else incredibly ignorant for a musician too, but I can't remember. And he generally came off as an ass

Joe Rogan or Deadmouse (YEAH, I SAID IT) said that? Either way, that's annoying.

Much like Deadmouse's music. HAR HAR HAR.

Back
Top Bottom